crying and holding breath

lynz

mum of 2 princesses
Reaction score
my daughter has just done this to me for the first time and i shit myself. She was having a good cry and just stopped with her mouth open and face red for what seemed like ages then started crying again. How often does this happen and what do you do

God hun that must be scary! I guess if lily did this i'd maybe try rubbing her hand or something or doing something that might make her remember to breathe, probably talking utter crap here but I didnt wana read and run hun! x

My little brother used to do that an awful lot as a baby... Morgan hasn't held her breath through crying yet, but she does have a problem where she chokes on herself or sometimes can't catch her breath.

I found the best thing that seems to make them breathe again is to blow in their mouth (not like CPR though - but from about 6 inches away). Difficult to explain what I mean, but I hope you may have an idea what I'm trying to say?!????

It's scary when it happens, but it would be very rare that they didn't start breathing of their own accord anyway, the reflex would just kick in..... doesn't make you feel any less scared when it happens though does it!!

:hug:

I say the same as Tabs, you have to blow hard on their face. It shocks them into drawing breath. My daughter never did it, but i bet it's really scary!!

Kaida does this ALL the time. It freaks me out.

I simply gently blow on the side of her face... Or kiss her cheeks.

Little madam! :blush:

Caitlin did it not that long ago the thought freaks me out she cried and her face was turning nothing was coming out i slapped her back in fear and omg did she roar but I was dying. Never wish to see that again!

it really scared me im still shaking now. Im scared of her crying again now in case its a regular thing

Dec used to do this and still does, when he was younger the advice my HV gave was to blow on the soft spot on his head, she also told me to do this when he was chocking, still dont understand how it works but it does!!! xx And dont worry hun you will find that a lot of babies do this and they will breath when they need to x

this is tommys favourite past time lol it is so scary but its kind of become part of his routine and normal to me now, i tap the bottom of his feet, (slap kind of) and if he diesnt stop i blow on his face HARD he soon stops

dont worry my hv said its very normal for babies to do it just dont panic, *i know its easier said than done though*

h x

Hun i know that is sound scary but babies do that... both of mine did that...Is completly normal... don't be scared.

Charlotte has always done that. The first time she did it was after an injection it was just a silent cry face but no breathing. Giving them a quick blow on their face or mouth is enough to get them going again.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that it is phsically impossible to hold your breath until you die because of the natural reflex. It is awful to watch though.

She's actually getting worse as she does it when she has a tantrum now and those are a bit too regular for my liking! :lol:

Benjamin does this quite often...scares the bejezus out of me.

Oliver did this last weekend. I thought he was having a fit unti I realised what he was doing. Scared the hell out of me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->