Cutting the cord

PeanutBean

Mumma to B & I
Reaction score
Hi all, I was just thinking about this thing getting the father to cut the umbilical cord and wondered what you all thought about it? I don't really get it! To me it seems like it is symbolic of the father separating the baby from the mother, like taking control! (I am of feminist tendencies!)

What do you think?

I would never see it as symbolic in that way - If I was to go down that road I'd do my own head in and be like those women that won't cut the cord at all because they think it shatters the baby's aura in a violent way, so they have to stick the placenta in a bucket of salt until the cord falls off by itself. To my mind, as much of a nature loving hippy as I am - this is far too fussy and inconvenient. I'd rather make my own little 'rituals' and believe that our love and cuddles will help sooth our baby's entry into the world and protect it's aura.

The only reason why it is sometimes nice for the dad to be able to do it is because he can't really do much else to be involved in the actual physical side of birthing, other than give the support etc. The cord cutting is one part of the process that he can do.

BTW Is anyone going to eat the placenta???? (gag! bleh!)

Yeah,you're right! I never saw it that way!

I'm also on a bit feminist side :lol:

But no way is Nathan cutting that cord.To me it's mostly just....weird.

But of course,if people want it,ho ahead! :)

I'm just going to let the dr/nurse do it. It isn't symbolic of anything to me and I just want my baby as quick as possible.

Thanks, I may or may not have just urged and gagged over that :rofl:

I would never see it as symbolic in that way - If I was to go down that road I'd do my own head in and be like those women that won't cut the cord at all because they think it shatters the baby's aura in a violent way, so they have to stick the placenta in a bucket of salt until the cord falls off by itself. To my mind, as much of a nature loving hippy as I am - this is far too fussy and inconvenient. I'd rather make my own little 'rituals' and believe that our love and cuddles will help sooth our baby's entry into the world and protect it's aura.

The only reason why it is sometimes nice for the dad to be able to do it is because he can't really do much else to be involved in the actual physical side of birthing, other than give the support etc. The cord cutting is one part of the process that he can do.

EATING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sick:

Good lawd no!!!! Do people still do that????

I really want my OH to cut the cord...not sure he is too keen though to be honest!

my brother in law said the scissors they gave him were a bit blunt and it was a horrible experience!

It's not that I believe in any symbolism in it (I'm biologist through and through remember!), it's got to be cut whatever and there are plenty of maternal ties, just that I don't get why the man should do it and the only explanation for that I can think of is what I mentioned above! It's true men don't get much role in the birth but that's fine by me. They get to run the world instead! lol DH can hold my hand etc. He's done enough already! lol

Definitely not eating the placenta! I'd rather regain my iron levels through broccoli thanks!

I really want my OH to cut the cord...not sure he is too keen though to be honest!

My Oh is the same. i think ill just get the midwife or whoever to do it !

I cut my sisters cord when I was 16. It was an amazing experience. Just being there at the birth, and I asked could I cut the cord. I've not told my OH yet, But I want him to cut mine. :) I don't want the midwifes doing it. Rather have someone close to me cut it.

when i had my son my mom was my birth partner and i really wanted her to do it but she wouldnt she was afraid shed hurt us! lol So i did it myself! Totally unplanned but an amazing experience lol This time i plan on cutting it myself right from the off and have got it written in my birth plan and everything hee hee.

My OH cut the cord both times. I don't see anything wrong with it. Obviously OH didn't either.

As for the other comments about eating the placenta, I could have done without that knowledge this morning. :sick:

My OH plans on cutting it. I think it will be cool having him cut it, and I have no problems with it. :)

It's not that I believe in any symbolism in it (I'm biologist through and through remember!), it's got to be cut whatever and there are plenty of maternal ties, just that I don't get why the man should do it and the only explanation for that I can think of is what I mentioned above! It's true men don't get much role in the birth but that's fine by me. They get to run the world instead! lol DH can hold my hand etc. He's done enough already! lol

Definitely not eating the placenta! I'd rather regain my iron levels through broccoli thanks!

I pretty much feel the same, but somehow the man cutting the cord seems to becoming a bit of a tradition so it is interesting to discuss it. I don't think my OH would want to do it.
I don't care so long as the baby is safe and well.

Honestly never gave it much thought, if Stan wants to cut it than that's fine with me, might be a way for him to bond with his new daughter in my opinion.

:sick: As for eating the placenta agree with Leeanne TMI for the morning :rofl:

As for the other comments about eating the placenta, I could have done without that knowledge this morning. :sick:

I'm sorry! I didn't want to make anyone feel sick! I think it's gross too, I just wondered because my friends have always joked about it, but no one I know has ever actually done it.

Ewwww definatley TMI!!

My OH wants to cut the cord and im happy to let him!!

In some hospitals they don't let anyone other than Midwifes/Doctors cut the cords because people have accidently nipped their babies with them and sued! I don't think they do at my hospital...

Either way i'm just going to let the midwife cut it and they can dispose of the placenta for me. Yuck :shock:

I'm sorry! I didn't want to make anyone feel sick! I think it's gross too, I just wondered because my friends have always joked about it, but no one I know has ever actually done it.

It is pretty common in some cultures for women to do this from what I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->