Cutting the cord

I pretty much feel the same, but somehow the man cutting the cord seems to becoming a bit of a tradition so it is interesting to discuss it. I don't think my OH would want to do it.
I don't care so long as the baby is safe and well.

I'd never heard of it at all until I read it on some random site a couple of months ago. I wonder if it's something that was done more stateside and is moving over the pond now?

It is pretty common in some cultures for women to do this from what I've heard.

I think it's a bit like birds eating the eggshells after their chicks have hatched! A way to get back some of the nutrients lost in making the new life.

Oh and thanks everyone for replying, this is interesting!

I'd never heard of it at all until I read it on some random site a couple of months ago. I wonder if it's something that was done more stateside and is moving over the pond now?

I heard of it more in UK than in US though. I don't know where it started.

I heard of it more in UK than in US though. I don't know where it started.

Maybe it's regional! lol I don't think anyone's done it in my family, I will start asking around now!

:sick::sick::sick::sick:

Not in my culture its not!! I never even heard of this until this thread. WHY do they do this? Can't they just eat food? BLAHH I'm gone to go hang over my toilet now :dohh:

I think it's very common in Chinese culture (not positive though so don't quote me on that :lol:)

I had no idea it was common! :sick:

I only heard of it when Tom Cruise wanted to eat the placenta but thought it has something to do with scientology? :shrug:

I don't think this site is a forum so hopefully it's ok me posting it, but I found a page about uses of the placenta: https://www.hip-chick-pregnancy-guide.com/placenta.html

my DH cut brendans cord and im hoping he can do it for this baby to, i think its a nice way to get involved and he really wanted to do it, as for eating placenta i gagged at the thought!

What do they DO with the placenta after you give birth!? :shock::shock:

I mean if you don't want to eat it, bury it, or use it as a piece of art!? I've never even thought about this before. What do MOST people do with it? I don't know about anyone else, but I want that thing as far away from me as possible. I don't want to see it. I want them to just take it and do whatever it is that they do with it.

What do they DO with the placenta after you give birth!? :shock::shock:

I mean if you don't want to eat it, bury it, or use it as a piece of art!? I've never even thought about this before. What do MOST people do with it? I don't know about anyone else, but I want that thing as far away from me as possible. I don't want to see it. I want them to just take it and do whatever it is that they do with it.

I imagine it gets incinerated. Not sure with a home birth though, maybe they take it away to be incinerated...

It is incinerated unless there is any reason it needs to go to labs, but even then it is incinerated after they are done with investigating whatever it went to labs for.

My hubby can cut the cord IF he wants to, I assume he will. It's quite a common thing around here. But he has to wait until it stops pulsing first.

As for the placenta, I actually saw a video of a woman eating some of hers. It was soooo gross! Look it up on Youtube, it looks like a giant liver or something. Barf!:sick:

My hubby can cut the cord IF he wants to, I assume he will. It's quite a common thing around here. But he has to wait until it stops pulsing first.

As for the placenta, I actually saw a video of a woman eating some of hers. It was soooo gross! Look it up on Youtube, it looks like a giant liver or something. Barf!:sick:

No, don't think I will look that one up! yuck!

I know in one culture they actually have a ceremony and bury the placenta.

BTW Is anyone going to eat the placenta???? (gag! bleh!)

Not me, never! I kind of view it as eating a part of my child!
I never understood wanting to cut the cord, my uncle is going to be present at the birth of my son and wants to do it so he can.. Although personally it kinda discusts me(but so does a drip of blood, yeeuuck)! Not trying to offend anybody as that's just me and my weak stomach, I would however consider donation of the blood from the cord if you didn't actually have to pay to do it! Bloody morons, it's aiding them and they make you pay!:hissy:

No, don't think I will look that one up! yuck!

I know in one culture they actually have a ceremony and bury the placenta.

That's my culture(I believe it's something to do with giving back to the earth), although I personally couldn't bring myself to do it!:sick: Don't get me wrong birth is a beautiful thing but yuck!
I heard of one where they feed the placenta to their animals.

:shock:

That's my culture(I believe it's something to do with giving back to the earth), although I personally couldn't bring myself to do it!:sick: Don't get me wrong birth is a beautiful thing but yuck!
I heard of one where they feed the placenta to their animals.

I heard that one about feeding it to your dog or pets too.

I couldn't do any of them, personally.

Actually, interesting enough, one of my OH's exes, when she gave birth to their child, took a picture of her placenta after it had been delivered. Now, really, why would you want a picture of it? I came across that album and just about heaved. And I truly don't think your child really cares to see it in their album.

I heard that one about feeding it to your dog or pets too.

I couldn't do any of them, personally.

Actually, interesting enough, one of my OH's exes, when she gave birth to their child, took a picture of her placenta after it had been delivered. Now, really, why would you want a picture of it? I came across that album and just about heaved. And I truly don't think your child really cares to see it in their album.

Erg! I don't know, I guess some people have preferences when it comes to the placenta, for instance my little cousin recently told me her mother has a piece of her umbilical cord in her baby book!
Apparently it's all shrivelled up and dry now, yeeuuch! + to top it off she kept a piece of the placenta aswell!

I'm getting my husband to cut it, :)

Erg! I don't know, I guess some people have preferences when it comes to the placenta, for instance my little cousin recently told me her mother has a piece of her umbilical cord in her baby book!
Apparently it's all shrivelled up and dry now, yeeuuch! + to top it off she kept a piece of the placenta aswell!

Now that scared me :0\

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->