Cystic hygroma and CVS testing....any help please

loubyloumum

2boys & cooking #3 :)
Reaction score
Hi ladies. brief over view I am 27 have two healthy children and have had to MMC's.

I am pregnant again now (5th pregnancy) and had a scan yesterday due to cramping pain. Anyway our scan showed was bitter sweet. Although our baby has a good strong heart beat and is measuring bang on I have been told our little on has Cystic Hygroma (due to the mount of fluid on the baby's neck) and the likely hood of us having a healthy baby is very very slim.

We have an appointment scheduled next week with a consultant to see if the amount of fluid on baby's next has reduced, increased or stayed the same and have been offered to undertake a CVS test at this appointment. This test will determine if our baby has chromosomal abnormalities and/or if DH or I carry a genetic abnormality. Obviously the testing has risks that's frighten the hell out of us and I feel so alone at the moment.

I have never come across this before and was hoping that someone may be able to shed a little light for us.

Thanks in advance ladies xxx

Hi Lou,
I've just stumbled across your post whilst looking online and felt I had to register to this forum just to respond, hope you don't mind :thumbup:

I actually have Cystic Hygroma myself and I can reassure you that, if your child is diagnosed with it, it is not something you should be worried about at all. Im 29 yrs old and I'm living a rather normal life, although I did spend a lot of time in hospital when I was younger, although that was a long time ago when the condition was not as well known as it is today.

In fact, as far as I'm aware, most cases of Cystic Hygroma these days can be treated in the early infant years of the child with no negative long term impacts whatsoever.

..... I'm resisting the urge to write a big essay so I shall leave it there, but again I'll say you shouldn't worry heheh :)

Although if you do have any more questions I'll be more than happy to answer them :) I will bookmark this page and check back in soon.

Take care,

Owen.

Hi there,
I don't have direct experience with cystic hygroma as such but my daughter was diagnosed with something which is often found along side it when I was pregnant involving lots of fluid. I just wondered how things are?

Hi Owen - thank you for your reply! It's really kind you took the time to respond to me.

Amy, I can now conform that the Cystic Hgroma has fully resolved itself and we have been given the all clear from the consultant. We didn't require any further testing aprt from follow up scans that both confirmed the Hygroma had gone and I have now been passed on to midwifery led care instead of consultant led.
I hope all is well with your LO xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->