Cystic Hygroma.

gillian.s

Reaction score
Hi folks. I am on my 3rd pregnancy, first pregnancy ended in missed miscarriage, second is my son who has spina bifida and now I am after finding out at my 12 week scan that this baby has a cystic hygroma.
Everything else is looking fine, no signs of cleft lip/palette, brain looks good, measuring exactly with dates etc but my consultant said there is about an 80% chance that baby has a chromosomal disorder (downs, Noonans, pataus, or Edwards). It is also possible that it is caused by a heart defect but its too early to properly check the heart yet.
Next step is to get either a CVS or an amnio test done- i think I'll wait and do the amnio because the risk is lower but means it will be a bit longer before I have some answers.
Honestly, so long as it isn't fatal I don't really mind. We have been through a lot with our son already and are used to the life of being 'special needs' parents (hate the term special needs). It is also still possible that it will turn out to be nothing and the fluid will correct itself, which is obviously the best case scenario!

Have you looked into the NIPT (non-invasive prenatal testing)? It's a blood test that can be done from 10 weeks gestation onwards and looks at genetics. You have to pay for it here in the UK and I know we would struggle to afford it but it doesn't come with any risk and gives you a 99% accurate answer either way xx

Have you looked into the NIPT (non-invasive prenatal testing)? It's a blood test that can be done from 10 weeks gestation onwards and looks at genetics. You have to pay for it here in the UK and I know we would struggle to afford it but it doesn't come with any risk and gives you a 99% accurate answer either way xx

Hi yeah I ended up getting the harmony test done on Wednesday and will have the results next week. I decided to use the results of that to decide if I definitely do/don't want to risk the amnio. So nervous for the results but just so glad I might have answers soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->