D+C experience

thesnapper

Reaction score
Hi ladies,
Firstly, I want to start by saying that i'm so sorry for your loss and secondly thank you that you take the time to share your experiences here in this forum.
It has helped me no end in reading other posts in helping me navigate through my own emotional experience of a miscarriage.
I'm 41 years old and this was my first pregnancy.
I had a D+C yesterday and i just wanted to relay my experience.
1st scan was at approx 5 weeks, sac present and all seemed as it should.
2nd scan 10 days later i was told 'not to get my hopes up' yet there was some development and i could see a foetus in the scan but no heartbeat at approx 6 weeks +4 days.
3rd scan i was given the unfortunate news that there had been no growth since previous scan 9 days previous and no heartbeat detected.
I was given 3 options but elected for a D+C as i felt this was the best option for me.
On the day of the procedure my day got off to a unlucky start, i had a trip and fall accident as i was crossing the road walking my dog and 2 bags for hospital as i was waiting to get picked up and i injured my foot ( thankfully found out later there was no fracture). on the upside , the pain in my ankle defelected away from the thoughts of what was yet to come.
My mother accompanied me into the hospital where i had to wait for 20 minutes to deal with admissions and paperwork. my emotions got the better of me and i cried as i waited in a line of other patients waiting to be admitted to casualty and other wards.

Once admitted i was allocated a bed in a ward with one other lady with a similiar impending fate. She was sobbing with her partner next to her. My heart went out to her. My boyfriend was not present as he was working away. i thought i could rally and not care that he wasn't there prior to the procedure booked but on the day, i felt abandonned and very much alone. Note to self, don't go it alone.
Staff of nurses were very compasionate and caring as they came to check blood pressure and and adminster Iv into arm.
I recieved a booklet on miscarriage while waiting for theatre. i must have read it 3 times.
Due to busy theatre that day, i waited 3 hours until i was wheeled out of the ward and down to theatre.
The maternity ward was situated next door to my ward and the sounds of crying newborns and the constant stream of visitors to new mammys with flowers and teddys passing my door was very overwhelming emotionally for me.
In theatre the doctor who was performing the procedure never even said hello or acknowleged my presence. This will always stay with me and unnerved me, the rest of the staff however were pleasant and reassuring.
The anesthetist administered the anestethic and i felt a weird taste in my mouth but was then out for the count.
Approximately 1 hour later i was in recovery and felt very alert thankfully.
I was given intraveous paracetamol to help with cramping after which took effect about 30 minutes later.
Wheeled back to ward and nurses routinely checked blood pressure. Iv was taken out about an hour later . Tea and toast with marmalade was served. Having fasted from 10pm the night before , food never tasted so good.

I was discharged from ward 3 hours later.Then Had to go for x rays for for foot( earlier trip and fall accdient that morning), no fracture but bandged and got the all clear and was finally released from hospital 9 hours after being admitted.
Drove back home later that night and felt fine. Dog slept on bed that night.
Feeling very sad today. i'm sure this will pass. i've have 2 other operations previously for skin cancer and to remove cyst from breast and didn't blink an eye but this had hit me like a tonne of bricks ladies, i have to say.
Stay strong and again i'm so sorry for your losses.

I'm so sorry, Snapper. It's an awful experience in the first place, let alone a heartless doctor, a nearby maternity ward and you being by yourself. Is your boyfriend back from his trip yet? How are you recovering (as well as your poor foot)?

The part about your dog in bed made me smile. My husband allows my dog in bed when I'm sad (which has been often these past few months). I'm glad you at least had her/him to cuddle with.

You will have lots of hormone changes and emotions cycling for awhile. I often couldn't make sense of my emotions, they were so intense, and it helped to read other people putting them into words for me. I found it comforting to know I wasn't alone, although I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I hope you find support on this site. Keep us updated. How are you doing today? xoxo

THank you sincerely AnneMac2 for your kind words and concern.
The last few days have been a rollercoaster of emotions as i'm sure so many other posters have encountered the same so i know i'm not alone in feeling down.
Boyfriend was back at weekend and it helped no end in being able to talk things through and he was there to provide the support i needed.
Lots of tears being shed over the last few days and it just comes over you when you are least expecting it.
I'm coping much better though today and am back at work. Foot is fine now, thanks for asking.
Not sure what the future holds and if we will try again and be successful since i feel that time is ticking away due to my age.
How are you keeping?
Thanks again for checking in, really appreciate it.

I know, Snapper. The emotions and hormones will really be all over the place for awhile. I'm so glad your boyfriend is back AND that he is helpful. My husband is a wonderful, caring person, but we are so different that he wasn't much relief to talk to. But I'm forever grateful for his love and him putting on a brave face. The things that provided me the most relief were milestones where my body got back to normal (end of the bleeding, bfn, first period, first ovulation, etc. made me feel less betrayed by it), so maybe that will help you as well. And success stories on the TTC after a loss thread or really any bfp on any thread is a spirit-lifter.

I was starting to really improve but since we've started ttc again, I've kind of taken a nosedive. Maybe I wasn't ready to start again, but I think the time ticking away thing would have gotten to me anyway.

If it's any comfort, I met a woman who is 49 (!) and a healthy six months pregnant. Total surprise and no medical assistance. She will give birth to her first child at 50 lol. And that's not to mention three women in their early- to mid-forties in my social circle who recently gave birth. And I'm fairly new-ish to my city and don't have a huge social circle, so those are fantastic odds! But I know age is a real stress, and I'm feeling it already, but I like every success story.

I hope your first day at work was a good distraction and am eager to hear more updates. Big hugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->