Dairy intolerance

babytots

Reaction score
I think my Lo has a dairy intolerance so have cut it from my diet. Can I ask you ladies that have lo's with a dairy intolerance what were the symptoms of it?

Also what do you use to replace things such as milk, bread, butter etc. my diet doesn't tend to have lots of dairy in it but I do have a cup of tea and toast in the morning to get me started for the day (which I have since cut out). Just struggling with finding things to buy to have for breakfast and things like snacks. I currently eat like a horse to keep up with the demands of bf and cutting dairy out means most of the foods I will no longer be able to have :( x

Hi! My LO doesn't have a dairy intolerance, so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on that, but I have been vegan for 12 years, so being dairy free is something I'm very used to.
The good news is, you don't have to give up on tea and toast! Most bread in the UK is dairy free (unless it's brioche or something else fancy), so that is fine. Instead of butter or 'normal' margarine, I use Vitalite or Pure - both are available in most supermarkets. As for milk, that is a bit more complicated. There are loads of different non-dairy milks, including soya, rice and almond - I use almond, but that is personal preference. It might take a while to find one that you like, and your tea will taste different, but it is something that you get used to. I also use the almond milk on my cereal in the morning. Again, all these milks are in most shops now. It can be tricky finding other alternatives, especially for things like cheese, but they are out there, and are getting easier to find. Try health foods shops like Holland and Barrett. For snacks I grab a handful of sultanas, or peanut butter on rice cakes, or non-milk chocolate if I really need it.

I love cashew milk! Maybe try that?

I did dairy free for 2 weeks and it didn't make any difference in my LOs gas. Sometimes babies are just gassy.

My babies are very gassy and constant watery nappies. My daughter got a rash tons her neck that looked worse after feeding. My son came out in a spotty rash on his head. Within a week of cutting out dairy and soya I could seea real difference. They become far more settled and I save a fortune on nappies! Over time you get used to alternatives. We use coconut milk and vitalite. Most meals I just replace dairy ingredients with these so I bake cakes etc so I still get yummy food. I even make Yorkshire puddings with coconut milk.

My lo is almost 4mo and has a dairy intolerance. I've been dairy free since she was 2weeks. I agree breakfast is the hardest. I love love coconut milk. I also lime granola for breakfast, oatmeal, or toast and jam. I even found d some whest pancake mix that is dairy free. For snacks I have almonds, fruit or veggies a lot. And potato chips are dairy free if you want something for snacky.
It seems really overwhelming I'm sure at first but it does get easier j promise!

Oh and symptoms .......
- green watery poo (which everyone tried to convince me was over supply but if anything I have the opposite issue).
- very cranky with no real correlation to anything (other than dairy)
-somewhat gassy

I tried eliminating dairy at the suggestion of the lactafion consultant because I was at my wits end trying to figure out why she cried all the time. I mean all the time. And after 2-3 days I noticed a difference and by the time she was 6 weeks she was a totally different baby. I've tried small amounts of dairy since and it starts right back up again. So I know that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->