Dating scan wrong! Advice needed!

msTATTOO

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to the site and really need some advice.

I had my first scan on Saturday. They dated me at 13 weeks and 1 day. My boyfriend was with me and as she told us the date I saw his face drop.

I fell pregnant the first or second time we slept together, even though I was on the pill. So was quite a shock to us both! After getting our heads around it we understandably both became quite excited.

The dates do not match. The dates mean I should have conceived late October. Before we had slept together. I hadn't slept with anyone else. Now my boyfriend is questioning if he is in fact the father or not. I of course know that he is, unless we have an immaculate conception on our hands! Highly doubtful!

I just have no idea where to go from here. Any advice and suggestions in how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

I have read many many forums about how babies can measure larger or smaller, I just have no way of being able to convince him that he is the father and would hate for him to walk away and miss the next 6/7 months of this pregnancy.

Looking at 13 weeks 1 day on the 29th Jan that means you would have conceived around Nov 12, as the 13 weeks 1 day is from the start of your last period not when you would have conceived.

I don't know much about dating a baby at 13 weeks to know how likely they may be out on the dates. I hope your OH will trust you and stick by you. It must be hard, and I'm sorry you are going through this.

Since you slept with NO other men aside from him, and you are certain of it, assure him that when the baby is born you will get the DNA test done.

You have every reason to be certain that he is the father, and it will be important that he understand that you will have no problem to show him this.

I would also recommend getting the OB Dr. to do another dating scan. if you believe this one to be off by more than a week, it will be important that they get the accurate age so when you hit 40 weeks they will not take the baby before it is ready.

At 20 weeks they will do another scan ... and as long as they have the date within a week or so there is no problem.

so really it depends on how much the scan is off. the baby was dated as 13 weeks you must remember that the baby was conceived 11 weeks ago ( the first 2 weeks are your period and prep for ovulation)

If you believe you conceived on a date other than or around november 12th ( remember that the first 2 weeks are when you had your period and LH surge for ovulation) then you need to have them scan again, so they will not take the baby before it is ready

pregnancies are counted as 40 weeks... but the baby is only "alive" for 38 of those weeks because of the way they "count" the 40 weeks, they include the 2 weeks where your body is getting the lining in your uterus ready for implantation.

explain to him those things are not reliable--it is different for everyone some babies develop faster than other etc. When I had my first child my first scan gave me a different due date from the second and I had my son on neither of those dates..just like some kids start walking before others.

Dumb question but you know that if they dated you at 13 weeks your conception date is 11 weeks ago?

Dumb question but you know that if they dated you at 13 weeks your conception date is 11 weeks ago?

This is true. I haven't heard of a dating scan so late, the further along you are the more it can be off. They usually do one around 8 weeks or so. But even then they can be off 1-2 weeks either way. Every baby grows at a different rate as well! Hopefully he will come around and won't put you through that. I worked for a paternity lab and believe me I've heard it all and some people are just ridiculous when it comes to these things. So good luck!

I got put forward nearly a week at my dating scan, even though I know I hadn't even ovulated that early. Depending how far out the dates are, you may have been brought forward too?

I wouldn't rely too much on the scan dates, I was sent for an early scan which put me at 6+3 at the time meaning i would have conceived 4 weeks prior but it was 4 weeks before my scan that i actually got my positive test

I was sent for another scan due to bleeding which was fine, going by their last scan i should have been 8 weeks that day and they put me forward by 5 days and the MW expects it may change again on my next scan in 2 weeks time.

I think you will just have to explain to him that the scans are not 100% reliable especially as fetal development in early pregnancy is quite sporadic. How far along did you think you were?

Hope it all works out for you.

xx

You're 2 days ahead of me and I conceived in November, around the second week. The 13 weeks also includes the 2 weeks when you're not pregnant, as it's based on your last period.
If it's not too personal, is that closer to the date you and your OH had sex?

I wouldn't rely much on scan dates, as babies grow at different rates.. you can easily go foward a week or two or back a week or two depending on how your baby grows!

Yes like the others say - you might officially be 13 weeks but pregnancies are dated from the first day of your last period (as they know you couldn't be pregnant before then)....in actual fact you have been physically pregnant for 11 weeks ish. So at 40 weeks when baby is due, you'll only have been pregnant for 38 weeks. Also, I'm counted as 4 weeks ish pregnant, but we conceived 2 weeks ago. Factor in the implantation might have been a few days after you had intercourse, or you may have ovulated earlier than you thought, plus sonographer error, then the date they give you isn't exact. It's always within 5 days.

Congrats anyway!!!

like all the rest say its dated from lmp, at my 12 week scan i also got put forward 6 days even though i know when i ovulated. so dont stress hun you know its your partners xx

As people have said, let your OH know that 13 weeks pregnant means an 11 week old baby. If the dates still don't match, it's often the case that dates are off because not all babies are born the same size so they're not all the same size at different stages of development. If he still is unsure, why not ring your midwife and ask if she could see you both together and have a talk about what the dates mean, baby sizes etc?

Also, do you have your pregnancy notes from the hospital? I got mine at my 12 week dating scan and it includes a print out with some notes from the sonographer plus some graphs. On mine, the sonographer has written "In accordance with NICE guidelines the gestational age has been calculated by the CRL." Then there is a graph showing the crown-rump length with my baby's length plotted on it. If he's any good at reading graphs, that will show him that they just go off the average but that the same CRL can mean different ages e.g. my baby's CRL is 53.2mm which means an age of 12 weeks if it is average. However that same length could also mean a small baby who is nearly 13 weeks old, or a big baby who is only 11 weeks old and both would be within the normal range. HTH.

This info has made a lot of difference, thank you soooo much :)

First time pregnant, now I completely understand and dates match perfectly now.... happy happy! :D

Glad its all worked out fine! Can be a little confusing,

x

The ultrasound can be several days off, and also sperm can live in you for 7 days!! So you could have had sex end of october, not actually ovulated until first week of november, then baby could be measuring a week small which is normal too. I know my first always measured small and the further along I got the smaller she measured(about 2 weeks small by 6 or 7 months). Just like on the other end baby can measure big and you may have conceived later than the scan showed.

oops sorry, didnt understand at first...yes you didnt actually get pregnant 13weeks ago, but 11 weeks ago. And if baby is measuring big then less than 11 wks ago. Its confusing, but also nice to have those extra 2weeks of preg when you werent pregnant, but for some can be worrisome, because you wonder how you got pregnant that long ago!

OP- My dating scan is wrong also. They put me back a little over a week (13 weeks today) and this is just not possible. DH was out of town the entire month except for a tiny 3 day window. Measuring the baby, not measuring the day you DTD!

Hello everyone! I am new to the site and really need some advice.

I had my first scan on Saturday. They dated me at 13 weeks and 1 day. My boyfriend was with me and as she told us the date I saw his face drop.

I fell pregnant the first or second time we slept together, even though I was on the pill. So was quite a shock to us both! After getting our heads around it we understandably both became quite excited.

The dates do not match. The dates mean I should have conceived late October. Before we had slept together. I hadn't slept with anyone else. Now my boyfriend is questioning if he is in fact the father or not. I of course know that he is, unless we have an immaculate conception on our hands! Highly doubtful!

I just have no idea where to go from here. Any advice and suggestions in how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

I have read many many forums about how babies can measure larger or smaller, I just have no way of being able to convince him that he is the father and would hate for him to walk away and miss the next 6/7 months of this pregnancy.

can someone tell me where they got there information from because they are seriously misstaken, a scan is more correct than a doctor saying you concieved on the last day of your period, they go by this before a scan to try and quess your dates take it from me i have had two kids both i fell pregnant on the pill and my doctor told me i was seven weeks and the scan told three months the if your scan tells you that you are thirteen weeks and one day you are probably exactly that or more you will now more at your next scan.
If iam wrong then both my children were born extremely early and one of them was nearly 9 pounds if she was early iam a monkeys uncle, if you have a guilt problem you need to seek advise as stress in pregnancy is very bad.

Hope this helps dont let daddy be nieve and alow him to come to terms with the situation in his own time.

Robynolan... thats rather a rude post and you are totally wrong!!

Op so pleased you worked out your dates, it can be very confusing when your not used to all the pregnancy and ovulation stuff...

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"