Daytime naps / sleep

bev309

Reaction score
How long at a time does your LO sleep for during the daytime - the longest Jack seems to sleep is about 45 mins if I'm lucky & he always wakes up crying I assume because he is still tired - the only time he wakes up happy is 1st thing in the morning about 5/6am & then when he wakes fully at about 8/9am. He is such a restless sleeper - the slightest noise wakes him - putting him in his cot doesn't prolong his sleep either - any tips / ideas that may help?

Tip is to go into his room when he has been asleep for 35 minutes. Shush and gently pat the small of his back until you have gone past 50 minutes and he is still asleep.

You should see him go from one sleep cycle to the next. i.e. see his eyeballs move below his eyelids. He will probably stir, but if you continue the shush-pat, you can help him move to his next sleep cycle without him waking up. You will need to do it for a few sleeps/naps until his nap routine changes.

Hope that helps you - it was how I managed to get Ryan extending naps times.

Tip is to go into his room when he has been asleep for 35 minutes. Shush and gently pat the small of his back until you have gone past 50 minutes and he is still asleep.

You should see him go from one sleep cycle to the next. i.e. see his eyeballs move below his eyelids. He will probably stir, but if you continue the shush-pat, you can help him move to his next sleep cycle without him waking up. You will need to do it for a few sleeps/naps until his nap routine changes.

Wow does this really work? i have the same trouble with tabs,she fights sleep so much and gets overtired and does the death scream! she sometimes only naps for 15 mins at a time.

How do you put your LO down to nap? i have to rock tabs upright to get her to drift off once she has got into overtired screaming! she wont just go to sleep on her own :-( :hissy:

It takes them about 20 minutes to hit the deep sleep you need them to before you can lay a baby down.

Bren will take a 3+ hour nap each day.

i had that issue with megan.. she refused to sleep i had to hold her to sleep for months and months and months.. but megan is a bad example we had horrible issues withher sleeping for 1 year and now she is miss perfect with sleeping!
good luck hun!

Wow does this really work? i have the same trouble with tabs,she fights sleep so much and gets overtired and does the death scream! she sometimes only naps for 15 mins at a time.

How do you put your LO down to nap? i have to rock tabs upright to get her to drift off once she has got into overtired screaming! she wont just go to sleep on her own :-( :hissy:

Sonny, yes, it does work. I have definitely had the occasional set back, but it has worked. Most days Ryan will take 2 naps of an hour and a half to two hours and 1 power nap before dinner and bath.

It isn't likely that she will fall asleep on her own as yet - you will need to teach her how.

I have never rocked Ryan - simply because I didn't want him to only fall asleep by rocking (and dreaded the thought of having to rock him back and forth in the middle of the night). He now sleeps on his own (90% of the time), but initially (for the first 15-16 weeks) I used to lay him on his side, gently pat his back and shush him. He also uses a dummy (only to sleep though). It used to take an hour, then it dropped to 45 mins, then 15.

It does take time to teach them to sleep - but do persevere you will get there.

Sonny, yes, it does work. I have definitely had the occasional set back, but it has worked. Most days Ryan will take 2 naps of an hour and a half to two hours and 1 power nap before dinner and bath.

It isn't likely that she will fall asleep on her own as yet - you will need to teach her how.

I have never rocked Ryan - simply because I didn't want him to only fall asleep by rocking (and dreaded the thought of having to rock him back and forth in the middle of the night). He now sleeps on his own (90% of the time), but initially (for the first 15-16 weeks) I used to lay him on his side, gently pat his back and shush him. He also uses a dummy (only to sleep though). It used to take an hour, then it dropped to 45 mins, then 15.

It does take time to teach them to sleep - but do persevere you will get there.
Im definately going to try as she does the finger sucking cue to say she is tired.
I just tried but she was laying there grinning at me! then screamed so i picked her up and i could hear her reflux going.
Do you let them scream and still just pat etc?

No, sit her on your knee for a bit, shush and pat till she calms down, then lay her down on her side and continue the shush pat.

Forgot to say, make sure that you remove any stimulants for at least 20 minutes before you start (TV, radio or any stimulating activities)

When it was hard to get Katie to sleep I used to hold her beside the kitchen fan! hard to believe, but it worked. I've also used a hairdrier when we in a caravan for a weekend with no fan. I've since bought a cd off ebay with baby 'white noise' and it puts her to sleep. She can now go to sleep on her on but it was a great help in the first 6 weeks. She now puts her hands up to her face and rubs her dummy to get her sleep.

Grace is exactly the same. I'm lucky if she gets an hour nap. She has about 2 or 3 naps throught the day usually all lasting between 10-20 mins and when she wakes up she cries, she is obviously tired and I don't know why she fights it! I can't just put her down and let her drift off herself. I have to either hold her or rock her moses basket or bounce her chair depending what she's sleeping in. I've found letting her fall asleep on me and leaving her there for a little while helps because she is properly asleep. I can tell when she's in a proper sleep as she snores! I also shush her and pat her but at the top of her back. If she's tired enough she falls asleep relatively quickly

Grace is exactly the same. I'm lucky if she gets an hour nap. She has about 2 or 3 naps throught the day usually all lasting between 10-20 mins and when she wakes up she cries, she is obviously tired and I don't know why she fights it! I can't just put her down and let her drift off herself. I have to either hold her or rock her moses basket or bounce her chair depending what she's sleeping in. I've found letting her fall asleep on me and leaving her there for a little while helps because she is properly asleep. I can tell when she's in a proper sleep as she snores! I also shush her and pat her but at the top of her back. If she's tired enough she falls asleep relatively quickly

Kaida is the same way.

Thanks for this - will try it tomorrow - haven't been on in a while so sorry for the late reply!

When mine were little it was a pain getting them to sleep in their cots at the same time as each other during the day so I used to go for a walk with the buggy for an hour or so. Half the time they used to nod off on the playmat off and on during the day. Now things have changed and they don't sleep in the buggy and sleep like logs in their cots.

When mine were little it was a pain getting them to sleep in their cots at the same time as each other during the day so I used to go for a walk with the buggy for an hour or so. Half the time they used to nod off on the playmat off and on during the day. Now things have changed and they don't sleep in the buggy and sleep like logs in their cots.

Helen, not sure what I would do with 2 Ryans! OMG, I would have been spending my life encouraging sleep LOL!

Well couldn't try it this morning, as his 'nap' didn't make the 35 minute mark:hissy: hopefully will be able to give this a go this afternoon:dohh:

Max only sleeps about 45-1 hr in his cot i the living room! if i wnat him to sleep longer well he goes into the swing (firsher price oacen wonders) my miracle worker ..he dosent always swing i turn it off once hes sleeping

Ok umm i went to her after 35 mins and sure enough she was stirring but then while im sh and patting she is laying there grinning at me! for 10 mins then went psycho! maybe i should go sooner before she wakes?

Have now stood with her trying everything to get her back to sleep for an hour!! to the point i am now so fed up and frustrated i have put her in the swing and left her. Im jumping to her every whim to the point i am consumed with it constantly and have NO time for myself to even do basic things.
When i do manage to get out of the house its a 3 hour event to leave the house trying to get her settled etc and in town everything takes 4 times as long as i am forever picking her up!

Who believes in letting them cry it out if i were to try that? and how long does it take?
If i leave her for 5 mins as tried before you can hear her reflux going :-(
This is really starting to get to me as have tried everything to get her so nap.
I have written down every feed,every nap etc for 2 weeks and there are no 2 days the same!! its so erratic :hissy: :hissy: :hissy: :hissy: :hissy:

I've tried the 'cry it out method' with Joseph a few times but he just gets more & more hysterical, oh and he doesn't nap during the day either , sometimes swaddling and a dummy helps though, i walk around with him swaddled patting him on his back & that seems to work sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->