***December Snowflakes 2012 Parenting***

It's snowing babies!! Can't wait to get everyone in here :)

I'm doing much better after two good nights of sleep - DH is a saint and took all night feeds last 2 nights. I feel...sane? Didn't even cry yesterday! And I am weaning off the torture machine (pump) and we will be transitioning Summer to formula when we run out of breast milk (I have 1 days worth in the fridge and 2.5 days frozen). The clogged ducts were awful the last two days as I tried wearing a tight sports bra (terrible idea!!!!) but I massaged them constantly yesterday and much better this AM :) it's so nice to be spending less time milking like a cow and more time bonding with my baby girl.

Finally starting to feel as though we could be getting into a bit of a routine...too bad DH's loud family is here this weekend for early Christmas. Blah. We asked them to bring us frozen meals that we can eat on hectic nights...instead they brought a meal then ate it with us last night so almost no leftovers. And they left the dishes and DHs mom was having him fill up her water glass for her. Are you kidding??? Thanks for the help...lazy sods.

Hope I'm not flooding the thread, thinking of you all as these first few weeks progress :)

Sorry about your family GenY. That's why I'm partially so glad that its just going to be me and DH and no one else for the first few weeks. I could not be relied on to stay nice to people invading my home. So kudos to you and your hubs for keeping cool.

Oh Gen how annoying :trouble: have they left yet? I hope so!! Glad to hear you're getting into a routine with Summer too :)

Day 4 here for us now and absolutely loving it! I can't believe my little baby is 5 days old tomorrow, I really need to slow down the days or just time on the whole! We are taking her to the clinic at hospital tomorrow for her 5 day check and weigh in. I'm sure it'll all be fine, bf'ing is really taking off and Millie seems satisfied after every feed. I am producing so much milk though, too much for her to take in I think as they are filling back up pretty quickly and Millie is constantly sleeping so not emptying them often. Not going to start pumping for a little while though as I'm hoping my supply will just regulate to what she needs soon.

Not much more to update here really! Amber is loving her little sis, she's so gentle and caring :cloud9: she does like to share the play mat though, and will jump in the vibrating chair as soon as its vacant and the baby's car seat too :haha:

https://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m503/laurynp86/CC86CCD3-EE04-43DA-8959-90B9D7BDDEC1-2252-0000012F7C16CEBD.jpg

lolly...my supply was a bit over too at first and I had to use cabbage leaves for relief be a use I got quite engorged and sore. To try reduce things slightly I just fed off one side at a time to ensure F got hind milk and would give her a very brief suck on the other side to relieve some pressure but still essentially keep it full. Next feed I'd start with the full side. Seemed to work :)

I still feel like I'm struggling a bit tbh. Her reflux is pretty bad and Gaviscon is doing nowt. She's very often fussing and crying in pain and then there's the hiccuping episodes 10+ times a day, choking/gagging/gasping for air and of course the actual spitting up which is often projectile. Cant wait until Monday when I can go back to the GP (had to give Gaviscon a weeks trial) and demand a paed referral. Theres normally a 4 month wait so we will have to find a 'spare' £200 to get a private consult sooner.
Also as a result of the reflux, LO is feeding constantly for comfort and also will only sleep on my chest and while my upper body is on an incline. I get so worried sleeping like that even though I try do it safely! :(

Can I ask you ladies about PP bleeding? Im still gushing bright red blood now 18 days post! MW told me at 10 days PP bright red should have stopped in the first week. Got swabbed for infection (negative) and now they are saying I could have retained tissue and might need a D&C! :cry:

Sorry for being a downer I just feel so drained and low. Feel like I'm messing things up because it seems most other newborns are sleeping loads and eating nicely. Or maybe I just whinge more. :blush:

Oh Gen - you have the patience of a saint with your inlaws. You really are a super lady!

2016 - I was thinking about your Paeds referral. I would ask your GP to make an NHS referral, don't go private just yet. Ask him/her to mark the referral as urgent, highlighting your anxieties, newborn baby etc and ask for the name of the Consultant you are being referred to. Then give it a few days to get in the system and contact that Consultant's secretary. Gently explain how grateful you would be to be seen early, highlight your flexibility in attending e.g for short notice cancellations etc and I bet you will be seen sooner. I often get parents contacting me in this way and wherever possible, I will accommodate them if there is a genuine reason to prioritise. Also, with Christmas coming up, clinics tend to run in a slightly different way with more emergency slots left open. There are also loads of cancellations for school plays etc It is certainly worth a try. Good luck!

Lolly - loving the girls together. Looks like Amber is quite content too x

Thanks for the tip 2016, will try the cabbage leaves. I'm already just feeding her from one breast until it feels much softer (I'm not feeling a let down at all, not sure if this is something I'll feel at some stage or I'm just not paying enough attention!) and then try to offer the 2ns breast which she will usually decline and it'll then just go full and sore until she's ready for her next feed.

I would definitely speak to someone about your PP bleeding, I think for it to be fresh and still heavy is a bit excessive. Sorry about Flicka's reflux :( I have no advice, but I hope your GP helps ASAP. That's an awfully long wait for a baby to see someone :nope: xx

Just put some pics of my little girl up in my preg journal :) x

Off to have a peek kitty, hope you're both well?

2016 - im sending a huge hug! It's massively disappointing to have your LO struggle right out of the gate. Definitely makes it hard to feel like you ate doing things right (but you are!!!) Flicka is so lucky that you are adjusting your expectations so she can be comfortable, rather than trying to make her fit the perfect newborn mold. Things are harder than average for you--so it's appropriate to feel overwhelmed! Keep demanding help :) you and she both deserve it.

Lolly - the pic of Amber and Millie together is precious! They've really taken to each other :)

My in-laws are finally leaving today. Yesterday the whole family was over and they were sooo loud! I couldn't believe it! Summer got a poor rest and wouldnt take her bottle with all the noise. I had to take her upstairs to a dark room until she finally took it, then she slept harder than I've ever see her sleep for 3 hours! Eventually DH told everyone that if we brought her down again it needed to be quiet and calm, and he dimmed a bunch of the lights. It was much better and everyone got a turn to hold her as she slept.
My MIL cried as she left...she is so over dramatic and repeatedly called Summer 'our' baby.......grrrr
Still it was great to get pictures of her teenage cousins doting on her :)

Being a FTM, I'm curious, do your babies have regular awake periods, or is it just eat, poop, sleep, repeat?

We have been out the past couple days. Friday we had our first checkup. The doc said she's gaining weight good but was worried about her bilirubin levels. We had to take her back to the hospital to get another blood test. We got the results and shes in the low risk area so no daily blood test thankfully. The weather has been amazing here 70 degrees in December is unheard of! We have been trying to take advantage before snow starts.

Gen and 2016 hoping things settle quickly for both of you. Big hugs.

And gen as of right now eat, sleep, poop, repeat. That's exactly what were getting right now.

Same here really, there's no particular pattern which is normal with a newborn. She does have spurts of time where she's more alert - these are usually mummy and daddy's bed time :lol: but it's pretty much sleep loaaaaaads, wake for a long feed, poop/pee/both ad the cycle is repeated.

Millie had her 5day check today and the MW was happy with her :) she's now 7lbs13oz so has gained an oz since birth, I am very pleased with that as it must mean my mummy milk is doing it's job :D

Anyone who is breast feeding... Does your baby ever eat almost constantly for hours at a time? I work tatum up at 430 to feed her and for the past five hours she has slept maybe an hour and has been awake just looking around for about 30 minutes but the other three and a half hours she's been nursing. Is this something I should let her do? She just cries if I try to do anything else.

Stark, I don't have advice but sending hugs!!!!! Poor thing!

Stark is she actually feeding or just suckling for comfort? If she's feeding and you can see and hear her swallowing I'd suggest to continue but to check her latch. If its just out if comfort and she's emptying the breast then I'm not to sure as it would be your choice as to whether you want her comforting on you for that long :shrug: that is a lot of nursing though!

Hello! Subscribing now that I'm a mommy :) Gabriella Serafina, born 11-28-12, 6 lbs 13oz.

She definitely follows the eat, poop, sleep, poop, nothing else pattern, except for the middle of the night when she seems wide awake unless she is in mine or DH's arms. Just spent 2 hours sleeping with her in my arms because she had spent the previous 3 hours doing nothing but eat, poop, pee, cry. Breast feeding is tiring! My nipples are also pretty sore during the first few seconds of her latching. Trying to work on technique for that. Anyone else sore or can reassure me that it gets better?

Chloe are they just sore for a little while after latching? If so, it's perfectly normal and WILL get better :hugs: your nipples just need to toughen up a bit. It's hard but see it through and it will get better :) I'm on day 6 now and the initial toe curling pain has lessened dramatically but it is still a little sore. I've been reassured that by 7-14 days it should be non-existant! Have you any lanolin cream to put on them for the time being? I'm using lansinoh and it's really helped x

stark...absolutely! I would just let her suck when she wants unless you are getting sore/desperate then try get a little break for yourself. There are a few growth spurts where LO will feed constantly to increase your supply:

2-3 days, 7-10 days, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks then 3, 6 & 9 months.

Many women particularly in the early days may think they "don't have enough milk" so start supplementing. But letting baby suck and suck and suck is the only sure fire way to tell your body to produce more. :)

First 2-3 weeks are tough but then it does get a lot less wearing.

I really think she was actually eating about 75% of the time. But when I finally did get her to sleep for a little while I could hear her tummy gurgling, so I'm thinking it was a tummy ache. I didn't wake her in the middle of the night for her 3 hour feedings. She woke up every 4hours in her own. It was so much easier to have her already alert for nighttime feedings. Hopefully I only have keep waking her up for a few more nights. Once she's above her birth weight we should be good.

Stark - it is such a relief when you can go to demand feeding!!! Having to wake Summer for feeds was exhausting for both of us, and made the experience stressful because you spend the whole time trying to keep her awake!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->