deep fried alligator.

megrenade

Reaction score
anybody tried it before? I'm thinking about trying it.. haha. the weirdest thing I've tried is bear, and it was sausage and really good.. next on my list is cougar (or mountain lion).. I've also had lots of wild elk and venison.. but that's kinda the norm here in the western part of the US.

anybody try anything strange? anything you would or wouldn't recommend?

I have tried roast crocodile and ostrich. I think those are the "strangest" meats.
I would not eat bear or cougar, personally. They tend to have a LOT of parasites. :sick:
I also would not eat anything from the primate order. I think that's a health risk, too.
But otherwise, as long as it's sustainably harvested and humanely killed, then I try not to judge. I'm actually quite curious about trying some insects as food. :)

I have tried roast crocodile and ostrich. I think those are the "strangest" meats.
I would not eat bear or cougar, personally. They tend to have a LOT of parasites. :sick:
I also would not eat anything from the primate order. I think that's a health risk, too.
But otherwise, as long as it's sustainably harvested and humanely killed, then I try not to judge. I'm actually quite curious about trying some insects as food. :)

maybe if you like your food bloody.. haha.. I like all my meat to be well done. I wouldn't eat a bear or cougar steak, but sausage is good no matter what it is!

and when I'm not pregnant anymore I'll be trying a lot more.. especially for survival techniques.. I'd like to see what bugs/plants are edible.. but I'm not going Bear Grylls style.. I'll be going the Less Stroud route.

Alligator is ok. I had it years ago.

Isn't Mountain Lion considered a threatened species though? I think it'd be a bit controversial to eat one.

My brother has eaten quite a few insects in lollipops or covered in chocolate from american websites.

Alligator is ok. I had it years ago.

Isn't Mountain Lion considered a threatened species though? I think it'd be a bit controversial to eat one.

My brother has eaten quite a few insects in lollipops or covered in chocolate from american websites.

I don't think so, haha. At least not in the NW (Idaho, mainly).. I know a lot of people who legally cougar hunt.

obviously I'm not going to go out and shoot a mountain lion just so I can try it.. if I knew someone who killed one, I'd try it.

and at least the meat isn't going to waste! people kill them mainly for their hide.. so why not do the right thing and not waste all of it? :shrug:

My grandad was Canadian and loved hunting, he had this massive cougar rug with the head attached (his pride and joy) in his den and it gave me the fucking creeps as a little kid :haha: I've tried kangaroo and it was so yummy, really lean. I've tried ostrich and alligator too but wasn't particularly keen on either.

Iv had ostrich, springbok and either crocodile or aligater not sure which it was but only ever as biltong never as a fresh meat.
My old boss was south african so used to bring me back some biltong (its like beef jerky)

I've bad venison & wild boar...it's about as adventurous as my eating has got! I would try anything once. Had oysters before, nearly threw up....can't imagine why they are an aphrodisiac.

The cougar population in the west of North America is considered stable. In the east, it has all but disappeared, except for small enclaves like Florida. I'm not a huge fan of hunting top predators because it is generally a trophy kill and I don't agree with that. However, if the whole animal is used, then I respect that.
I meant to say that I thought the ostrich was tasty, but the taste of the crocodile was very .... reptilian? It reminded me of the smell of the big snakes that I was handling at one point at our Zoo. A very distinctive smell and I could taste it in the meat. It wasn't my favourite.
On the insects menu, I was thinking about some of the Asian dishes I have heard about: deep-fried crickets or grubs. I love shrimp and other invertebrates from the ocean. It's pretty closely related, I think.
And I love wild game like deer or bison. So tasty and way healthier and more sustainable than some poor miserable chicken or pig from some godforsaken factory farm.

I've bad venison & wild boar...it's about as adventurous as my eating has got! I would try anything once. Had oysters before, nearly threw up....can't imagine why they are an aphrodisiac.

you must have had raw ones? I think they're disgusting.. but breaded and fried in butter and cooked thoroughly, I love them! :thumbup:

Gator doesn't have much taste. When fried it doesn't taste much different than a chicken nugget or something.

Gator doesn't have much taste. When fried it doesn't taste much different than a chicken nugget or something.

Yeah, what she said. i've only had gator fried, and it did taste a lot like chicken.

i have to say ick to cooked oysters. love em raw though. ive eaten all kinds of crazy meat. we have a game meat barbque every year and i usually get rack of wild boar. antelope etc. in peru i had guinea pig (not bad, kinda greasy).and alpaca , rat, scorpion, crickets, dog and horse in vietnam. grubs in thailand and borneo. i eat a lot of frog. i also like odder bits of meat, ie tongue (grew up on it), sweatbreads, gizzards and hearts (chicken and beef). not a big tripe fan. had tasty testicles in jordan (lamb)

Deep fried alligator is delicious. It does taste like chicken.

Swordfish and shark are very good as well.

Had alligator a few months ago when I was down in FL. Definitely tasted fairly neutral, much like chicken.

Ostrich, boar, frog, crawfish, venison, bison... just some of the many other meats that I've tried. My FIL likes eating random meats, especially what his friends find while hunting. So DH and I have been exposed to all sorts of meat. Haven't met one I haven't liked...

i have to say ick to cooked oysters. love em raw though. ive eaten all kinds of crazy meat. we have a game meat barbque every year and i usually get rack of wild boar. antelope etc. in peru i had guinea pig (not bad, kinda greasy).and alpaca , rat, scorpion, crickets, dog and horse in vietnam. grubs in thailand and borneo. i eat a lot of frog. i also like odder bits of meat, ie tongue (grew up on it), sweatbreads, gizzards and hearts (chicken and beef). not a big tripe fan. had tasty testicles in jordan (lamb)

:shock: :shock: :shock:

xashley- heh guinea pig was in peru where it is a traditional food. dog and horse were at the same meal in vietnam. the rat, scorpion and crickets were another vietnam dinner

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->