Define RFM

DaisyDreamer

mama to a beautiful boy
Reaction score
Hi ladies! Will be joining you in just two lovely weeks, but I had a question about fetal movement. I know that baby will have days where they seem less active or more active than usual and that is perfectly normal.
Haven't been able to find much of a clear answer on what is considered "reduced" fetal movement. Never had anything cause for concern, baby has almost always been able to achieve 10 movements in 10-15 minutes. But I want to know when I SHOULD be worried.

Thanks xxx

My OB defines reduced movement as less than 6 movements in 2 hours, but we don't start tracking movement until week 30.

Thanks! In "What to Expect" they say to count twice a day for ten movements in two hours. Should I be counting twice a day or more than that?

My OB only has me count once per day, but I guess it doesn't hurt to count twice.

The guidelines have changed here now and they won't give a definitive amount per time anymore. I'm being monitored twice weekly because of growth issues but even now they tell me reduced is anything less than babies normal patterns. The idea is to get to know your baby's routine and movements and anything suddenly less than that to call in x

The guidelines have changed here now and they won't give a definitive amount per time anymore. I'm being monitored twice weekly because of growth issues but even now they tell me reduced is anything less than babies normal patterns. The idea is to get to know your baby's routine and movements and anything suddenly less than that to call in x

Hmmm, what would be considered less do you think? Baby has days where they seem to be kicking a lot more than usual. I guess if they seem inactive I could always have some juice and go for a walk, see if that wakes em a bit

I agree, it isn't about number of movements now, it's about a change in pattern. I was induced at 40+1 after having weekly monitoring from 30 weeks because her pattern changed around 28 weeks. I was told that if she was moving less than normal it's best to get it checked, it really is better safe than sorry! Things to try first are ice cold water, lying on your side, and a sugary snack. Also a prod sometimes worked for me!

Despite all this my baby was born perfectly healthy and it was all precautionary but still better safe than sorry!

Well the guidelines iv been given is: if youve no movement at all during the day, definite red flag go straight in. If movements are a lot lighter or less frequent, call in and discuss with labour ward who'll advise wether to head down for a ctg. while waiting drink ice water and lay on left side. I think usually they advise with reduced movement to drink the drink and lay on left side and to monitor movements for 2 hours but my pregnancy is high risk with complications now that the twins are below 10th centile so they've skipped that part and get me straight in.

The same principles apply though. Trust your gut and if baby is moving noticeably less than what is normal for them then get checked over. Better to waste a few hours up the hospital than spend a lifetime wondering if you could have spotted a potential problem before it was too late if anything did happen xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->