Delay cord clamping for baby health

Skadi

Reaction score
An audit a few years ago found many UK hospitals advocate early clamping, as soon as the baby is delivered.

Mounting evidence suggests this may not be best practice and could be causing health problems.

Globally, about a quarter of preschool children have iron deficiency anaemia, the most severe form of iron deficiency. In Europe, the prevalence is 3-7%.

This is a significant health problem because it can harm a child's brain development.

A simple solution, say researchers, is to ensure babies get the best start in life by maximising the blood and iron stores they get from the placenta.

Waiting three minutes before clamping the umbilical cord at birth can boost a newborn's blood volume by a third.

More

This is good to know...

Are you able to tell the Dr how long you want to wait? Anybody know?

THUMBS UP to this post.

im doing a lotus birth <3

If you dont mind me asking what is a lotus birth?x

I JUST talked to my dr about delayed cord clamping and she said yes so I am very excited. I to would like to know what a lotus birth is.

this is what I found....

A: The practice of neonatal umbilical intactness - nonseverance of the umbilical cord - and absence of any
potential portal of navel infection. The birth practice of the early American pioneers who produced some of the
hardiest children known in American history... and valued everything they had. Also called "Umbilical
Nonseverance." The baby, cord, and placenta are treated as one unit, as they are all originate from the same
cellular source (egg and sperm).

This informed choice practice requests healthcare providers to follow the protocols of "Passive Management" of
Third Stage Labor, and also forego invasive cord clamping. The baby is born and remains attached to its cord
while the placenta is birthed. The baby's placenta-cord is kept in-situ with the baby, gently wrapped in cloth
or kept in an uncovered bowl near the mother, and the cord is sometimes wrapped in silk ribbon up to the
baby's belly. The cord quickly dries and shrinks in diameter, similar to sinew, and detaches often by the 3rd
Postpartum day (but up to a week in certain humid indoor air conditions) leaving a perfect navel.
Interestingly, extended-delayed cord clamping & severing (just waiting more than an hour after the baby's
birth), results in quicker cord stump healing, with an average of only one week for detachment of the stump,
which makes a big difference for diaper changing!

in short, a lotus birth is where you leave the placenta attached to the baby until it naturally falls off =]

Eh?!?! How long does it take to naturally fall off?

I'm interested in delayed cord clamping as well. Hopefully we will get to do it.

from 3-12 days it depends on how much air you give the placenta, meaning dont put it in a placenta bag if you want it to fall out quickly.

it's not for everyone and you'd most likely stay at home the entire time unless you are comfortable with taking the baby and placenta out in public although it is better to wait until it falls out before bringing the baby in public

I want to do this as well. I'm planning on asking my dr. to delay clamping.

I think I'd be up for it if I wasn't so grossed out by the placenta. Never heard of anyone doing that before :) I think it's a nice idea! Want to be in hospital though, so deffo gonna ask to delay the clamping and also ask if my OH will be able to cut it. :)

I'm totally interested in lotus birthing. I will be having delayed cord clamping no matter what but I think I may go for a lotus.

I think lotus birthing sounds and looks a fabulous idea! its not for me though, it would freak me out having the placenta near me! (hope that doesnt offend anyone - just my personal opinion!) xxx

Can you donate cord blood after a delayed clamping?

Hmmm.. I'm wondering this too! I don't see why not. Hopefully you can. I'm very interested in delaying clamping. I want to give my baby the best start that I can. I hope, in the moment, I don't forget to yell at the doctors to delay the clamp! :haha:

Can you donate cord blood after a delayed clamping?

Hmmm.. I'm wondering this too! I don't see why not. Hopefully you can. I'm very interested in delaying clamping. I want to give my baby the best start that I can. I hope, in the moment, I don't forget to yell at the doctors to delay the clamp! :haha:

I'm going to try to make sure I have a "birth plan" I know they never go exactly as planned but things like that surely can be accommodated.

I'm certainly going to delay until the cord stops pulsing as I did last time, and ideally I'd like to wait until the placenta is delivered. We'll be tying with a homemade tie rather than the big plastic clamp too. This is a good link with pictures showing how the cord changes over time.

To those wondering if you can donate cord blood after delayed clamping, I'm pretty sure you can't, as the blood has all gone to baby, which in my opinion is where it should be. It sounds selfish, but my priority is my baby's health.

Interesting, I'd never heard of this before. Have just looked at Tacey's link - I will discuss it with my OH. I'm not sure I could go so far as a lotus birth, but I may seriously consider delayed clamping...

My husband is a paramedic. In the field, they are taught to clamp the cord, wait until it stops pulsing, then cut.

One word of caution if you do not wish to clamp or cut right away: Don't elevate the baby higher than the cord or placenta before it is clamped. If not, some of the blood volume can go back to the cord and placenta, away from the baby.

We did this with my son - waited until the cord has stopped pulsating. There's tonnes of benefits. Will definitely be doing it again this time x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->