Delay cord clamping for baby health

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Skadi, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Skadi

Skadi Well-Known Member

More

This is good to know...

Are you able to tell the Dr how long you want to wait? Anybody know?

2. veganmama

veganmama Well-Known Member

THUMBS UP to this post.

im doing a lotus birth <3

3. Cazlabump

Cazlabump Well-Known Member

If you dont mind me asking what is a lotus birth?x

4. Maybe1daysoon

Maybe1daysoon Well-Known Member

I JUST talked to my dr about delayed cord clamping and she said yes so I am very excited. I to would like to know what a lotus birth is.

5. Maybe1daysoon

Maybe1daysoon Well-Known Member

this is what I found....

A: The practice of neonatal umbilical intactness - nonseverance of the umbilical cord - and absence of any
    potential portal of navel infection. The birth practice of the early American pioneers who produced some of the
    hardiest children known in American history... and valued everything they had. Also called "Umbilical
    Nonseverance." The baby, cord, and placenta are treated as one unit, as they are all originate from the same
    cellular source (egg and sperm).

This informed choice practice requests healthcare providers to follow the protocols of "Passive Management" of
    Third Stage Labor, and also forego invasive cord clamping. The baby is born and remains attached to its cord
    while the placenta is birthed. The baby's placenta-cord is kept in-situ with the baby, gently wrapped in cloth
    or kept in an uncovered bowl near the mother, and the cord is sometimes wrapped in silk ribbon up to the
    baby's belly. The cord quickly dries and shrinks in diameter, similar to sinew, and detaches often by the 3rd
    Postpartum day (but up to a week in certain humid indoor air conditions) leaving a perfect navel.
    Interestingly, extended-delayed cord clamping & severing (just waiting more than an hour after the baby's
    birth), results in quicker cord stump healing, with an average of only one week for detachment of the stump,
    which makes a big difference for diaper changing!

6. veganmama

in short, a lotus birth is where you leave the placenta attached to the baby until it naturally falls off =]

7. beanzz

beanzz Mama to 2

Eh?!?! How long does it take to naturally fall off?

8. MrsSaraKate

MrsSaraKate Well-Known Member

I'm interested in delayed cord clamping as well. Hopefully we will get to do it.

9. veganmama

from 3-12 days it depends on how much air you give the placenta, meaning dont put it in a placenta bag if you want it to fall out quickly.

it's not for everyone and you'd most likely stay at home the entire time unless you are comfortable with taking the baby and placenta out in public although it is better to wait until it falls out before bringing the baby in public

10. EmKayElle

EmKayElle Member

I want to do this as well. I'm planning on asking my dr. to delay clamping.

11. beanzz

beanzz Mama to 2

I think I'd be up for it if I wasn't so grossed out by the placenta. Never heard of anyone doing that before :) I think it's a nice idea! Want to be in hospital though, so deffo gonna ask to delay the clamping and also ask if my OH will be able to cut it. :)

12. justplainTIFF

justplainTIFF Proud mommy!

Can you donate cord blood after a delayed clamping?

13. EarthMama

EarthMama Mom of 2 & pregnant!

I'm totally interested in lotus birthing. I will be having delayed cord clamping no matter what but I think I may go for a lotus.

14. Cazlabump

Cazlabump Well-Known Member

I think lotus birthing sounds and looks a fabulous idea! its not for me though, it would freak me out having the placenta near me! (hope that doesnt offend anyone - just my personal opinion!) xxx

15. littlemamana

littlemamana Mommy to Colin

Hmmm.. I'm wondering this too! I don't see why not. Hopefully you can. I'm very interested in delaying clamping. I want to give my baby the best start that I can. I hope, in the moment, I don't forget to yell at the doctors to delay the clamp! :haha:

16. justplainTIFF

justplainTIFF Proud mommy!

I'm going to try to make sure I have a "birth plan" I know they never go exactly as planned but things like that surely can be accommodated.

17. Tacey

Tacey Well-Known Member

I'm certainly going to delay until the cord stops pulsing as I did last time, and ideally I'd like to wait until the placenta is delivered. We'll be tying with a homemade tie rather than the big plastic clamp too. This is a good link with pictures showing how the cord changes over time.

To those wondering if you can donate cord blood after delayed clamping, I'm pretty sure you can't, as the blood has all gone to baby, which in my opinion is where it should be. It sounds selfish, but my priority is my baby's health.

18. Siuan

Siuan Well-Known Member

Interesting, I'd never heard of this before. Have just looked at Tacey's link - I will discuss it with my OH. I'm not sure I could go so far as a lotus birth, but I may seriously consider delayed clamping...

19. nikkchikk

nikkchikk Well-Known Member

My husband is a paramedic. In the field, they are taught to clamp the cord, wait until it stops pulsing, then cut.

One word of caution if you do not wish to clamp or cut right away: Don't elevate the baby higher than the cord or placenta before it is clamped. If not, some of the blood volume can go back to the cord and placenta, away from the baby.

20. kristen77

kristen77 Well-Known Member

We did this with my son - waited until the cord has stopped pulsating. There's tonnes of benefits. Will definitely be doing it again this time x