Delay cord clamping for baby health

Ladies please read this really good article

https://academicobgyn.com/2009/12/0...ng-should-be-standard-practice-in-obstetrics/

I read this too. I am definitely writing this into my birth plan in big letters! Will be asking the midwife about it on my next visit. Lotus birth sounds like a great idea, not sure how practical it would be for me though.

X

PS I can't help but think the cord is still 'pumping' for a reason too. Wonder why it's taken them this long to research this?!

PPS this made me giggle: Otherwise, all things being equal we ought to give the tykes a few minutes to soak up what blood they can from the placenta before we cut’em off :)

Ladies please read this really good article

https://academicobgyn.com/2009/12/0...ng-should-be-standard-practice-in-obstetrics/

Totally agree :thumbup:

Didn't know episiotomy was once standard practice.... :wacko:

X

I definitely want to do delayed cord clamping! I haven't discussed with my midwife yet but I can't see that she would have a problem with it

ETA - You can't donate cord blood if you delay the clamping as all the blood has gone to the baby

My doctor was a bit iffy about it until I posed this question to him.

"If he had a patient that had a no longer needed body part that would naturally die and fall off within days would he amputate it?"

...and he said he would not amputate and then he understood how, physically and medically, it was okay to Lotus Birth. I didn't even have to get into the baby receiving it's rightful dose of stem cells etc.

Sam in Sydney

We're definitely doing delayed clamping (in fact I was happily surprised to know that the hospital where I have to deliver now routinely does delayed clamping!).

We're definitely doing delayed clamping (in fact I was happily surprised to know that the hospital where I have to deliver now routinely does delayed clamping!).

That's very reassuring to hear PoodleMommy. Early cord clamping has never been an evidence based practice but so often it's the norm.

How can you do delayed cord clamping without elevating baby higher than placenta or cord, while doing skin to skin? Does someone have told hold the cord up?

Blood has been flowing back and forth to baby for months so the way I see it whatever is meant to go to baby will go to baby regardless of the angle of the cord!!!

I had delayed clamping last time and she was delivered to my stomach once I turned round ( was up on my knees) the placenta pulses the blood down the cord against gravity, so fine to have skin to skin
X

I did delayed clamping with DD and will do it again this time :)

This is a really old post!! Delayed cord clamping is a NICE guidelines nite and should be standard in any an nhs unit (although my mw suggested putting in birth plan anyway). It doesn't need gravity any more than the fact blood pumps back up from your legs!

I was reading this through thinking that I thought it was all standard practice before noticing the date! I definitely want delayed cord clamping but lotus birthing is just a small step too far for me - as is placenta smoothies or anything of that type!

Yeah everyone sorry for the thread being old. But this still isn't standard practice everywhere sadly. Not where I am from :-( so I just wanted to know if you can do delayed colrd clamping while doing skin to skin so the baby will be higher than the placenta, if it would still be okay?

Delayed cord clamping is great, but if you plan on storing cord blood than you can not do delayed cord clamping. I personally want to do delayed cord clamping, my husband wants to store cord blood. So we are on the fence for now.

My me said it's standard here to our baby on your tummy and wake five minutes before clamping. I don't think "up hill" matters because the pulse keeps it pumping in the same way that your veins pump blood "up hill" I your body (from your legs to your heart etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->