deleted

Its your baby hun, you call it what ever you want, its your and OH desicion so do what you both feel right :) my grandma chose my name as laura, and my mum and dad wanted poppy, so my name is technically laura poppy, but everyone i know (including my grandma, tht wanted laura) calls me poppy, seriously do what you want hun ! Aswell as this its a very nice name :)

i love the name Luna, but then i do love the night sky and the moon (definately a night owl, its so quiet and peaceful and the moon lights things up in a way the sun could never, i do like the daytime, but for peace and 'me' time its got to be the night)

i think Luna Daisy is pretty, I'm not too keen on the name Daisy but think its pretty with a first name like Luna.

I like it!
No matter what name you pick there will be people who don't like it, so keep it to yourself! :)

Thanks ladies, you really lifted my spirits.

I had my mother go with me to my first dr appointment, as a show of good-will for the future. (We've been fighting non stop since I was 16, until I told her I was pg and now it's calm again.)

As we were waiting, I told her my two top baby names on my list.

For a boy, Richard.
For a girl, Luna.

She gave me a dirty look and said Luna was the most awful name she could imagine. "She'll have enough problems, let alone when she introduces herself as Luna."

My mother swears because she is mentally unstable that everyone else in the family is and our children will be as well. I know I shouldn't put so much stock into her opinon, but to hear such insults I felt like crying.

My OH and I really like the name, but now I have to step outside of ourselves and ask if it is that far-fetched.

What do you ladies think?

I like different names and I think Luna is a beautiful name :) If you and your OH love it, go with it. It's your baby!!

thats a tough one. Try to think of it this way? If your daughter wants to be a physician or CEO of a company. Will she be taken seriously with Luna for a name?

Thats the way my DH said it to me when I wanted some different names. What he said makes sense.

Luna is beautiful, Richard is nice, and your mum is being immature and selfish.

Luna is a very pretty, feminine name.

I shrug when people make faces or comments about my name choices. They can name their kids what they want (if they haven't already), and I will name mine what I want. Everyone has opinions. Not all of them are worth sharing.

thats a tough one. Try to think of it this way? If your daughter wants to be a physician or CEO of a company. Will she be taken seriously with Luna for a name?

Thats the way my DH said it to me when I wanted some different names. What he said makes sense.

There are tons of physicians with unusual names and plenty of successful CEOs with unusual names. I can't think of anyone saying oh, I can't see that doctor because her name is Luna or how could you work for someone named Luna?

Have you ever turned down a job or refused to see a doctor because of their name?

My good friends brother is a very successful dermatologist and his last name is one of the worst ones I've ever heard of! People address him as doctor x (pm me if you want to know the name, I dont feel comfortable sharing it on a public forum) all day long and a last name for many is worse than the first.

For the record, Luna Leopold was a well known scientist with a Harvard Ph.D and a professor at my grad school.

We had a secretary of state named Condoleeza!
My old endocrinologists name was Zena
I had a professor named Sprinkle

Maybe if someone lives in small town America it may seem a bit unusual or out of place but in NYC or any urban area I don't think anyone would bat an eyelash. It isnt like you are trying to name the kid ddfyer3rbcmberfloaesb26911111

We have tons of immigrants in this country with all sorts of unusual names. Indian, African, Asian, Eastern European, Scandinavian etc. I hardly think your childs career is going to be held back by their name.

There are tons of physicians with unusual names and plenty of successful CEOs with unusual names. I can't think of anyone saying oh, I can't see that doctor because her name is Luna or how could you work for someone named Luna?

Have you ever turned down a job or refused to see a doctor because of their name?

My good friends brother is a very successful dermatologist and his last name is one of the worst ones I've ever heard of! People address him as doctor x (pm me if you want to know the name, I dont feel comfortable sharing it on a public forum) all day long and a last name for many is worse than the first.

For the record, Luna Leopold was a well known scientist with a Harvard Ph.D and a professor at my grad school.

Maybe if someone lives in small town America it may seem a bit unusual or out of place but in NYC or any urban area I don't think anyone would bat an eyelash. It isnt like you are trying to name the kid ddfyer3rbcmberfloaesb26911111

We have tons of immigrants in this country with all sorts of unusual names. Indian, African, Asian, Eastern European, Scandinavian etc. I hardly think your childs career is going to be held back by their name.

Agreed!!!! I've gotten some insensitive criticism because DH and I picked out a different name if our bubs is a boy. People keep telling me I shouldn't name him what we've already decided on because he will get ridiculed at school. I guess in my mind I don't want to name my child something out of the fear of other people's cruelty or narrow-mindedness. Plus DH and I think that kids (and some people for that much!) are cruel and if they don't make fun of his name it'll be his crooked teeth or lazy eye or the way he dresses. There's just no avoiding it. Our kids will get teased and beaten down by the world. Its an unfortunate reality.

My husband has a fairly normal name (Shane) and he got teased growing up with different variations of "Shame". I have friends named Aman, Niha, and Saumitra. One is a graduate of an Ivy League, one went to med school at NYU, and one has a successful career in NYC. Our president's name is Barack! Hes got an unusual name and look hes president of the US twice elected! I think people need to stop pushing everyone to name their kids Jessica or Robby and allow people to be creative and unique.

This child will not be a social outcast because her name is Luna. If she wants to do something big with her life she will, it won't be a name that holds her back.

Agreed!!!! I've gotten some insensitive criticism because DH and I picked out a different name if our bubs is a boy. People keep telling me I shouldn't name him what we've already decided on because he will get ridiculed at school. I guess in my mind I don't want to name my child something out of the fear of other people's cruelty or narrow-mindedness. Plus DH and I think that kids (and some people for that much!) are cruel and if they don't make fun of his name it'll be his crooked teeth or lazy eye or the way he dresses. There's just no avoiding it. Our kids will get teased and beaten down by the world. Its an unfortunate reality.

My husband has a fairly normal name (Shane) and he got teased growing up with different variations of "Shame". I have friends named Aman, Niha, and Saumitra. One is a graduate of an Ivy League, one went to med school at NYU, and one has a successful career in NYC. Our president's name is Barack! Hes got an unusual name and look hes president of the US twice elected! I think people need to stop pushing everyone to name their kids Jessica or Robby and allow people to be creative and unique.

This child will not be a social outcast because her name is Luna. If she wants to do something big with her life she will, it won't be a name that holds her back.

Its a tough one and honestly, i do agree with both of you, you should be able to name your child whatever you want. But, the world is a tough place, I know how cruel kids can be, so for me, and its my personal decision - I dont want to give my child a name that will "bring on" people's narrow mindedness (and Im NOT saying that Luna will - im talking in general). I agree with you, you shouldn't NOT name your child something because kids are going to be cruel and make fun of them, but to the same point, kids ARE cruel and will make fun, I know this is a fact of life and I just dont want to give my child any ammunition for them to have - it WILL INFACT make it tough for the kid if children are teasing them all through life, maybe it will make them a stronger person to have lived through it - who knows. :shrug:
I personally, just don't want to do anything to invite any "teasing" - or difficulties being taken seriously. The world is tough enough as it is, if you have a perfectly common name like Jennifer or Michael.

Regarding Luna, I like it, think its pretty and not "too outlandish" like Sunshine, Rainbow, Apple, or whatever else. I just always like to look at both sides of the discussion is all -

:rofl: Sorry, that is just silly and tickled me the right way.

Trust me... any name can get made fun of. I like the name Gabriel... my husband says, "Yeah but people will call him GAY." OK... I like the name Ariel. "Yeah, like the mermaid." No, like meaning: "Lioness of God." My name is Emily. Very common, very innocuous. I got "Aunty Em, Aunty Em!" like the wizard of Oz all through school. Or "M&M-ily." My husband's name (and my son's name is) is Daniel. "Danny Fanny," or "Annie-Danny."

Some people are naming their kids things like "Hashtag," or "Facebook," or "Thin..." (yeah, look it up... :dohh:) THOSE are ridiculous names. Point is, people having their names made fun almost NEVER ruins their lives.

Luna is pretty :) It means "moon" in Spanish. I like it!
People will always insert their opinion when it comes to names; if it gets to you, just stop tellig people. Its a nice name and you guys like it, thats all that matters.

i think it depends on the middle name, something feminine would be nice like luna rose, luna marie, luna mae ect... but something like luna star would be a bit weird inho

Oh man we're naming our daughter Caoimhe (pronounced Keeva) and we live in the US so I've gotten nothing but backlash from my family. We just had to get over it and use it anyway, luckily they've mostly stopped bitching about it. It sucks when people don't love the name you love, but it's YOUR child and when that child is born and as she grows up, people won't think "wtf Luna is such an odd name," they will just see her as Luna and that will be that.

And for the record, Luna isn't even that strange...at all. It's actually a relatively popular "unique" name. I really wouldn't worry about it! I promise the world is not as crazy as some people like to think. My mom and grandfather have gone on and on about how Caoimhe's going to have suuuch a rough time because of her unusual name. Which is amusing because my mom named ME a weird name and it's been nothing but a positive in my life! I am the only me on Facebook which is a good feeling :p

Just please don't let anyone else get you down or feed you lies about how cruel you're being for choosing a more unique name. It's NOT true! As long as you raise her to embrace individuality her life will be amazing!

Luna is a beautiful name. I would try not to listen to your mum or anyone else who tries to influence your name choice, it's YOUR baby and it has to be what you and your partner like! :)

Haha, that's funny. If this is a girl, I'm actually naming her Luna and just debating on either Valentina or Verona to pair with it, and how to squeeze in the family name of Dorothy. I've had Luna pegged as a girl's name since I was a kid because I was always drawn to the night and said a Latin prayer to the moon that I plan on teaching to my kids.

It's your baby. Name her however pleases you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->