deli meat

Mississippi03

Mom to 1
Reaction score
Looking for opinions.. not judgements.

What is everyones thoughts on eating deli meat? Im at a course for the next two weeks, they are providing lunch but its all sandwiches. I ate one today because i had nothing else. There's two other girls here in third tri and they ate them too.

Is the fear only listeria? How prevalent is that really?

I have a couple friends that went their entire pregnancy eating deli meat and had no problems whatsoever. I myself haven't eaten any cold, but if its only a few times I don't see any extreme harm. There are chances of it having listeria in it though which would be harmful. Is there a microwave by chance that you can use to heat up the meat before eating it?

If you can heat it, it's ok. But microwaved sandwiches are kind of gross.
However, if you're at home and craving cold cuts you can make a sandwich and grill it like a grilled cheese!

I have chosen to avoid deli meats this pregnancy. My last, I was apparently unaware of the risks and recall eating turkey lunch meat sandwiches on wheat bread with cheese, lettuce and mayo :dohh: My pregnancy was absolutely perfect and I have a healthy daughter. I don't think occasionally it's bad but from what I've read there is a risk. It's personal choice really but kudos to you for being a concerned mama :thumbup:

Can you ask your medical provider? I ate soooooo many turkey sandwiches (and never heated them, because ew) with my pregnancy without a problem. My OB said it was fine as long as I was smart about where I bought the meat from, and none of the women she handled during their pregnancy ever became sick from eating it.

Honestly I'm more nervous about eating raw fruits/veggies than deli meat!

From what I am understanding these meats can carry bacteria that can make you sick. Now I think that this bacteria can make you sick pregnant or not but if you are pregnant there is risk to the baby. Since I have never gotten sick from eating these meats I am not sure really how likely it is that you would end up getting sick. All the books and websites say that you should avoid eating these meats.

We are not advised to avoid them in the UK, the risk of anything happening is miniscule.
https://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/eating...regnancy.aspx?categoryid=54&subcategoryid=216

Miss, it sounds like you are in a hard spot since you are training and lunch is provided. What is the possibility of talking to the training coordinator to provide a different type of sandwiches for the three of you based on your condition? Usually, they try to accommodate people with dietary issues. Some sort of veggie sandwiches or a BLT?

They provided egg and chicken salad.. But the mayo puts me off... Just like heating it would. To be honest, i never really eat deli meat. Im not a subway person.. More quiznos if anything, and they toast all sandwiches. But i dont buy deli meats from the grocery store or anything like that ever, just mot my thing. The alternatives are veggies and fruit.. Lol which carry their own risks from my understanding lol..

The food is being catered by the cities largest catering company.. So im pretty confidant about cleanliness etc.. Its not like one of the facilitators is just making them at home in her kitchen. Ill be there 6 days over two weeks. Ive never been sick off deli meat before.

Im kind of in this phase where ill eat omething if someone else made it.. Because when i come home im put off by cooking.. I wont eat my own food.. So i want to milk the fact that its being provided because often im silly hungry because i cant eat much..

Lol it seems like anything remotely healthy comes with risk.. I should just ask them to cater with poutine ;) can you tell im canadian now? Hah

ugh...heated egg and chicken salad. That just sound so...yucky. I think it really is up to you. Like you said everything comes with a risk. Even veggies can have salmonella if they are not prepared properly. If it's me, heck...I might just have a pizza delivered because I am into hot food lately ahahahah. Poutine sounds awesome too! Oh man..I have to stop talking about food. Enjoy your no cooking time! :D

I don't believe heating it would make it any safer, it'd have to be properly fried up to kill the bacteria that's worrisome, a microwave only provides spot heating. I love hot Capacola & Proscuttio & sushi. As long as the deli meat is super fresh and the sushi is flash frozen never fresh it'll be fine. But you need to be as picky as you feel comfortable with and don't let others shake their finger at you! Do your own research, there are many silly pregnancy myths out there that have good solid reasonable science to put to rest. For example, it's the fresh sushi that we need to avoid, the worms and bacteria that can exist in fresh sushi are what's dangerous, they're killed in the flash freezing process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->