Denied waterbirth at the last minute!

Mummytofour

Mumtofive! BFing WTT!
Reaction score
I am now 8 days over my due date and went yesterday for monitoring at the hospital. I have always had waterbirths with my babies using gas and air if required and have never had ANY complications such as PPH etc.

Now yesterday the midwife said I was unlikely to get a waterbirth this time for the following reasons,

I am 40 years old
I am a multipara
I had a "suspected" DVT in 1998 following an RTA.

They didn't treat me for suspected DVT until my last pregnancy when I was given clexane post birth for 6 weeks. Prior to this, nothing was ever mentioned.

I am seriously considering unassisted homebirth now due to the fact that if they deny me a waterbirth once at hospital, I am the type of person who will simply walk out and birth in the carpark!! LOL!!

My question is....who on earth do I contact to discuss this? Getting hold of my consultant is difficult. My community MW is not the same district as my chosen hospital. Have I now left it too late to request a homebirth and transfer?

I am livid that they seem to have landed this on me at the eleventh hour with nowhere to turn!:growlmad:

What do I do?! Any help would be appreciated as I'm totally lost!:cry:

Id ring the hospital and ask to speek to the senior midwife and ask her why this has just been mentioned.

How frustrating.. They think that because you are overdue and in a vulnerable position that you'll just go along with whatever they say. It's definitely not too late to say you're having a homebirth instead, it might even persuade them to come to a compromise about the birth pool, you never know!

I agree with Indigo - they'll probably say you can have the pool if you mention home or unassisted birth.
I would also try to phone and speak to either the supervisor of midwives or the consultant midwife (if there is one). It doesn't make much sense if you've had waterbirths before - if you have the energy I would try kicking up a big fuss - it's really just what you don't want at this stage :hugs:

What total tosh they are trying to tell you - get on the phone to the head of midwifery!
These are not ligitamate or significant reasons for consultant lead care! NICE guideline for consulatnt lead care are 6 para... and who cares about 40 and an unconfimed dvt? it's just nonsense!

Please let us know how you get on.

We'll be think of you
Xxx

I dont get how a suspected DVT is a reason anyway, if it was from a blood condition then maybe but after a car crash? What bollocks!

That is so crazy! Stick to your guns and don't let them get you down!

Hope little one is here for you now/soon and all this is resolved in time xx

i dont know bout you but i would insist on a bath to "ease my pains" when in hospital then not get out of the bath lol the MWs would have to deal with it lol and lord help them if they tried to physically pull me out

It's is MUCH more difficult to negotiate things that are outside guidelines where hospital is concerned but at home you really hold all the cards. Its not too late to tell them if they can't support your water birth you will be having a home birth where you can guarantee a pool. Often this is enough leverage to get them to agree BUT you must get it in writing and signed off my a consultant / supervisor of mws / head of MWery or you will turn up and it will not happen.

Regarding them not sending anyone to you are home, they have to. You just need to get this printed off and next to the phone for your OH or preferably a different birth partner to read to them over the phone.

Taken from www.homebirth.org.uk

Have someone with you who is not your partner or mother or other close, emotionally involved person. This person should have ideally had a successful homebirth herself and at a minimum be entirely supportive of your plans to do so, comfortable advocating for you in a situation where you are being told that there will be no midwife sent, and able to be calm in such a situation.

Prepare your supporter by practicing the 'broken record' technique with her. No matter what they say, your supporter should keep replying that you are going to give birth at home and are expecting a midwife to be sent. When they say they definitely won't send one, she should keep playing the record -- 'Clare is going to give birth at home and we look forward to seeing a midwife.' Needless to say, you should not be involved in this exchange -- you have enough to do! And we recommend that someone other than your partner be the spokesperson, so that your partner can concentrate on you. At no time should your advocate say, 'Okay' or 'I understand' or try to reason with the person on the phone. Just keep playing the record.

Don't think of it as preparing yourself for a fight; think of it as preparing not to fight by being clear about your position and having support to keep strong in that position.

Thanks for all the replies ladies, it really strengthened my resolve!
I rang the head of midwifery at the hospital and basically said that I would be having an unassisted homebirth if I couldn't be guaranteed a waterbirth in the hospital and the fact that she was allowing this to happen, she would be responsible for sending a midwife to attend me.

If they had back pedaled any faster, they would have caught fire!!! LOL!!!

So on the 12/07 at 3.57am I got my wonderful waterbirth, I even got to deliver her all by myself AND had a natural third stage with no bleeding whatsoever!! All this in the space of 2 hours from the first twinge to the delivery of the placenta! The cord wasn't cut until the placenta was delivered and DD was such a calm baby it was amazing!

Even my midwife said it was the best birth she had witnessed in her 12 years! She said she wished all women could listen so well to their own bodies. I just said thanks! LOL!

So "ya boo!" to those medical staff who doubted me and my body! Thanks girls for all your support when I doubted myself.

Sounds like a wonderful birth well done x

wow, mummy!!! HUGE congratulations!!

So inspiring!

Congratulations, well done for sticking to your guns!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->