Dental Treatment & TTC

LoobyLou75

Mum of 3
Reaction score
I am due to have 2 fillings round about the time we are looking at TTC and I am wondering if anyone knows what effect, if any, it would have if I was to get pregnant straight away?

I'm not 100% sure of this but i think the dentist won't want to give you a anesthetic if you are pregnant not sure what they will say if you are ttc and there is a chance you are pregnant. Is there anyway you can have the fillings done before you start ttc or just after a visit from the witch when you know you aren't pregnant that cycle? good luck x

My original appointment was for tomorrow but I have had to postpone due to an important meeting I have to attend. The only time I could get was for June and it just so happens to be round the time we said we would start ttc. I am more worried about the effect of amalgam fillings than anything else. Obviously I won't know if I'm pregnant that month until the witch is due, so I am wondering if I should put off ttc another month and get the dental treatment done first.

I could do but then I'm wondering if they aren't bothering me do they really need replacing (back to the old dentist making money for the sake of it theory). I have read loads of stuff on the internet in the last hour and now I can safely say I am petrified! Has made me worry about the fillings I already have and I have 12!!

Try not to worry about the stuff written on the internet or in half of the papers, its a load of rubbish. I am a dentist and had to have a filling done last month(naughty, I know) and chose to have it done in amalgam because its a better filling material in back teeth than composite(the tooth-coloured material) Its stronger, tends to last longer and has been used for filling teeth for over a hundred years without incident. Most of our parent's generation have a mouth full of amalgam fillings with no problems whatsoever. If it was as toxic as the Daily Mail would have you believe, that whole generation would have MS, ME, Alzheimers and all the other ailments that are blamed (without proof) on amalgam. Sorry for getting on the soapbox, it just really annoys me the way the media hype things up (see the swine flu for proof) without evidence to back it up and upset members of the public to the point that they wont have the best treatment because they are scared it will make them ill.
The guidance wth regard to using or replacing amalgam fillings in pregnant women is not to do it unless it is an emergency but this is purely precautionary-there is no evidence that it harms the baby. There isnt any guidance for women who are TTC but it would make sense if you are in the 2WW to treat you as though you are pregnant, so I would trly to schedule the appointment for the other 2 weeks of the cycle or possibly put off TTC for a month as although the amalgam is extremely unlikely to cause any harm to the baby if you were to be pregnant, you would probably spend the whole 9 months worrying.
Also, tempting as it may be to leave them as they are not causing you problems, this can lead to needing major work. Its always better to catch things early before the decay spreads, which is why regular check-ups & x-rays are recommended. By the time a lot of teeth show symptoms, the decay can have infected the nerve and you can end up with a root treatment or extraction-much better to have a simple filling.
Hope this helps xx

I seen a programme about that a few months back. . .
They say that the mercury is bad for you even if you aren't pregnant!

Well that's what they say but think about how many people have had perfectly healthy babies who have got fillings . . . .

Thank you so much, Cath! I feel a bit more reassured now and I think I may put off ttc and get the treatment done first. Hopefully then I won't suffer problems if and when I get pregnant.

Is there a time limit from when you've had the fillings replaced to when you can ttc?

I didn't watch that program, Carla. Glad I didn't. If they want to put fear into people they certainly have me!

Wow Cath's answer was helpful for me too thanks i'm terrified of dentists and have to be sedated to have work done as i'm also alergic to the anesthetic that is most commonly used i have a check up this month and i know i need at least one filling which means going back on the waiting list to be sedated again but if the waiting list is going to be about a year i might as well start ttc and see what happens x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->