depo provera

maybebaby3

Proud mum of 4!
Reaction score
has anyone taken it? any side effects? dr said weight gain was a side effect :wacko: and have worked hard to lose over 10kg!

I loved it, gained a bit in the boob area but not much else and my periods stopped - hooray, I stayed on it for 7 yrs. My Bessie mate bled every two weeks in four, put on two stone and was a broody tearful hormone bag! It really is trial and error and ok it lasts 12 weeks but even with an oral pill they like you to take it for three months to allow symptoms to settle.

I have had it and my weight has stayed the same (but I am a fatty atm anyways :haha: so might have stopped me loosing weight as I should have breastfeeding!)

My next jab is due in a couple of weeks but I have decided not to have it and will go on the pill instead. My reason is that the nurse told me that if you want to concieve then you should have your last injection at least a year before ttc. It is a long term contraceptive and I just don't know how I will feel in a years time about wanting another one and I think with the pill, you stop and are fertile pretty much straight away.

So I would ask the Q if you are planning more kids - if the answer is Yes within the next 2 years then I would consider something else :flower:

But if you do want something long term, from my inital injection I would say it's fine. I've still not had a period (but this is prob due to me breastfeeding too)

xxx

It took me 18 months to concieve after my last depo shot and I had to go onto Clomid as my progesterone levels were too low. If you want to get pregnant in the future, I'd think twice about have the depo shots.

Like someone said above, if you want kids in the next couple of years, don't go on it - it can sometimes seriously muck up your cycles and take ages for your fertility to return.

I had two shots of it when I was younger and it really didn't agree with me - was hormonal psychobiatch from hell for over six months basically, piled on weight, headaches, felt rotten and I hated it - was persuaded to have a second shot with the promise that the initial side effects wear off - they didn't. Didn't have any more and eventually had a non-hormonal coil (old fashioned copper type, not Mirena) fitted as hormonal methods all seemed to be really bad for me.

I absolutely detest condoms but we're using those now until it's ok for me to get pregnant again (had c-section so was told at least 3 months, preferably 6 to heal) and after that it'll be back to NTNP as it took a long time to conceive first time round so we're happy to go with the flow and see what happens.

Btw I'm on Mirena now and as hormones are released in to your uterus only not general blood supply it is supposed to have a lot less symptoms like weight gain, moodiness etc. So far so good, I'm still losing weight breastfeeding.

Between having ds1 and dd I went on the depo injection.I didnt get periods which was handy and I dont think I gained any weight but as others have said,it took over a year to concieve after coming off it.

thanks all for your replies. i'm still undecided. i have the prescription in my bag. DH is not sure about it either as it's messing with my body!

DONT DO IT!! not if you want more children anyway, there is a thread on here of those who have been on the depo and some are still TTC over a year after comming of the depo took me just over a year and a horrific mc resulting in me being hospitalised to get this far..

I gained weight and was a right moody cow on it..

I really don't recommend it. Once i started on depo is when all my weight issues started! I can't say anything about fertility as i was on the pill for over a year after coming off depo

At first i thought it was a great idea when i started it. I have been on it one shot less than a year and it is just wearing off. Like others said if you could possibly want kids in the next two years i wouldnt take it. From what i have found out in my research alot of women have a really hard time concieving after and also get ovarian cysts and other problems. But at the same time, some women love it and dont have any problem on it. I wasnt too fond of it because i bled for about a month and a half non stop after my second shot. It was miserable. Good luck to you tho! just make sure you do your research on any method of BC that you are considering. :)

There's always one isn't there?! I was pregnant eight months after I came off (thinking it would take minimum 6 months to get periods back, which it did) and got pregnant the second month we tried! I had no weight probs and can't wait to go back into it, cant take combined pill and remembering to take mini pill same time each day drove me nuts!

I had it seven weeks after my baby's birth and I hate it. HATE IT. It made me real moody, I stopped loosing my pregnancy weight and here's the big thing... it dried my vagina up like you wouldn't believe - it made sex incredibly painful, and took away my libido completely. Like as though there never was any. Uh uh. won't do it again.

Im on it now, I cant say its done anything negative here.
Yet. :haha:

I wish i'd done more research before having the depo injection - worst mistake of my life. had my baby boy 10 months ago and wasnt ready to have any more children yet. my friends recommended the contraceptive injection - huge mistake. ive been bleeding non-stop for almost 10 weeks. was due a smear test over a month ago and was told by the doc that i cant go for this until ive stopped bleeding for a week (fat chance), the weight gain is ridiculous and ive not been gorging on food....and the moodiness is unbelievable. dont know how my partner puts up with me :( all i can say is anyone considering it research it fully before having it done.

its only my opinion and theres ppl who love it but i took it before conceiving my first child; i struggled to conceive for 6 months.. didnt think bout it at the time though; and after he was born, took it again, only once n it took me 1 year n a half tp fall pregnant with dd... its great if youvbe finished having kids... google it n you can read lots of negative stories... the again dont google lol

theres heaps of options you could try it n see if it works but im staying away from it for now on

Yeah, you know what I got out of it?!?! A BABY!!! Yep, baby number 4 was conceived AFTER the Depo Shot....wowie was that a SHOCK! But I do hear it can make you gain weight and if you take it for years and years even bone loss.

i was victim to the weight gain :( going from a 14 to 20 within a couple of years....though not so obvious considering i am 6ft, but otherwise, the depo is quite good
I agree with the others though, don't go on it if you're planning more babes :)

Im on it now, I cant say its done anything negative here.
Yet. :haha:

I take this back. I HATE it.

But I havent gained weight on it - in fact im less than i have been for years

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back