• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

desperate new mum-please help

DonnaBallona

newlyweds!
Reaction score
my 5 day old baby son has an infection in his gut. he is already nil by mouth as he was aspirating his feeds and the stuff in his tummy was green when they checked before they fed him. Jude has not been fed since he was born last friday as his gut cannot deal with anything; he was given a couple of feeds of 1ml and they think that's where he's got the infection from as his system wasn't ready for it.

I am literally beside myself with worry. he had already lost 3oz when they last weighed him, normal for a newborn but when you're 2lb and not being fed I'm terrified he's going to lose more and the infection will get worse.

I'm too scared to touch him, Iv never changed his nappy, i freak out when the nurses turn him over in case they hurt him, iv held him twice but hated every second as I was frightened I was going to hurt him or that he wouldn't be able to breathe-I'm not coping at all. the alarms are turning me into a nervous wreck and I literally am crying ALL THE TIME.

I know that I love him to bits, I'm just terrified of my own baby! iv had a prem before but this is nothing like what I experienced the first time round.

somebody, please help me :cry:

Whereabouts in Berkshire are you? Please try and stay positive, I know it's hard but your little guy needs his Mummy. Does the hospital have a support group you can get in touch with?
xx

Hey these little ones are tougher then we think. He is in the right place. I'm so sorry to hear he is poorly and not able to feed at the moment. Hopefully this will change very soon and he will go from strength to strength. Sending you lots of positive thoughts and hope your little man grows into a big chunk! xxx

Oh Donna I just wanna come give u a big hug :hugs: I was the exact same with Daniel when he was born there is a HUGE difference between 33 weeker and a 30/31 weeker. It's only natural for you to feel frightened just because you've had the NICU experience with Brooke doesn't prepare you for what Jude is going through.

Praying the infection is a minor speedbump and he's back to feeding at this stage the Iv fluids will be replacing all the nutrients he needs for now.

I know it's the last thing you want to hear but maybe you need a break from all the alarms, don't rush down o see him in the morning take a bit of donna time first, try not to arrive 'on the hour' when they are changing nappies or positions if this upsets you, Daniel was a good 2 weeks old before I didn't panic ny time he was touched

Most of all try not to beat yourself up too much, you've just had a massiv operation while been critically I'll and had a teeny baby, your bound to be very wobbly, let Alan support you you haven't bounced back as quick as you did with Brooke it will take longer to adjust and your hormones settle. You know where I am if you need me, keep strong xx

My little gal had the same trouble. She was born at 24 weeks and is currently 10 days old. For about 5 days she couldn't have anything in her tummy as she just couldn't handle it... her feeding tube kept bringing up green bile. She is now being fed again and seems to be handling it ok. She dropped from a pound 7 ounces to just over a pound but is slowly gaining it back. Have faith. I know how scarey it is to touch such a small baby but they need it. It takes 2 nurses to put my tiny little Reese on my chest for Kangaroo Care but it is so worth it... for her and me.

Oh hunny, it is tough going, they couldn't feed Lucas for a week when he was born and he went down 8oz, it is scary when they are tiny.

sending big hugs, I hope he settles soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->