Desperately need to vent.

2by2elsa

Reaction score
My morning sickness has taken over my entire day, including nights. I wake up in the middle of the night and fight the urge to vomit. I can't eat. I can barely drink. I'm a miserable person - even I don't want to be around me. I've tried Ginger Ale, ginger tea, candied ginger, saltines, Club Crackers, chocolate Teddy Grahams, regular graham crackers, ice cream, Popsicles...you name it, I've tried it. If someone told me that standing on my head and singing the National Anthem would make it better...I'm too that point. I would try it. Imagine my frustration when the mere scent of the Ginger Tea and candied ginger caused me to dry heave. The very thing that was supposed to be my salvation was only making things worse.

My dillema is that my friends and family have made it VERY, VERY clear that no one approves of me taking medication for the morning sickness. Everyone seems to feel that I would be doing the baby some grave injustice.

I've done the research. There are 2 medications commonly prescribed for MS: Phenergan (which I took while pregnant with Elliott) and Zofran (which was originally created for cancer/chemo patients). Both are safe in pregnant women. Zofran has been tested a bit more extensively in pregnant women but it's also more expensive. My insurance company will only cover 10 pills/month unless my OB can give a good reason why I need more. And that's after getting prior authorization to have it filled in the first place.

Honestly the only reason I haven't called my OB yet is because I feel in some sick way that I'm letting everyone down. Like I couldn't handle "a little morning sickness" so I'm endangering the life of my unborn child. It amazes me how strongly people seem to feel about this matter. I've had friends tell me that they wouldn't judge me if I take the meds but they didn't/wouldn't if it were them. I've had family question if the Phenergan contributed to Elliott's preterm labor. Others have compared Phenergan and Zofran to the horrible meds that were given to women in the 60's, 70's and 80's for MS and ended up causing horrible birth defects.

I'm really struggling here. Maybe my nearest and dearest don't realize just how much I value their opinions. I don't think that anyone had any ill-intent in offering their opinions. I just don't think they realized how worried I already am about this choice. How all I really needed to hear was what I've ironically only heard from complete strangers on a motherhood message board, which was "I tried a, b, and c. If you try those things and everything else you can think of but nothing works there really isn't anything wrong with asking your OB for the meds. You have to be able to eat and rehydrate yourself." It was probably my fault for asking for opinions, although not all were asked for - some were simply given, rather than asking for support.

I honestly tried everything everyone told me worked for them, no matter how silly it seemed before I caved and called my OB. I am not a weak person. But I am human. I can only take so much. I have to do what I think is right and at this point I honestly see no other options. Why is it so difficult for people who profess to love me to see that? :cry:

:hugs: sorry hun, hope u feel better

Hon, honestly who cares what they think or say. If its going to make you feel better then I say screw them. You've done your research, its safe to take and its going to make YOU feel better and happy. They won't stay mad at you long and if they do, then they aren't worth the worry. I doubt that your doing the baby any good by not being able to keep anything down. If nothing is working then I would just take the meds. Women that suffer from severe morning sickness isn't normal, they have made meds for that reason. Call your OB and start feeling better :hugs::hugs:

I say forget what they say. Seriously there is no need to live feeling so horrible, it is not good for you nor is it good for the baby. If it is such a problem for them, then don't tell them. Say some other remedy worked for you.

I agree...you need to do what is going to be best for you. Not eating or drinking is going to be way worse than taking something to make you feel better. DON'T LET ANYONE MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE WEAK! I have been feeling awful too...I haven't had any vomitting, but I feel like it half of the time...and I am on the brink of asking my OB for help.....Blessings :hugs:

You poor thing, you sound like your´re really suffering :hugs:. But it sounds like you´ve done your research and if those drugs are completely safe to take during your pregnancy and your doctor OK´s it, then take something. At the end of the day, its very easy for others to judge and say they would or wouldn´t do it, but they are not the ones in your situation. They are not the ones feeling crappy and unable to eat or drink. You have to do what is best for you and your baby, regardless of what others think or say. You are not doing yourself or your baby any good, if you are not hydrated or getting any nutrition.

Hope you start to feel better soon :hugs:

Thank you ladies! So so so very much! I'm calling my OB today. I hereby wave the white flag! *waves the flag* I give up. I can handle sleeping all day - thank God my hubby works from home - but I need to eat something, have it taste half way normal and not have it threaten a come back or I'll loose my mind!

If you want to try one last thing before meds, look into sea bands. They are acupressure wrist bands that are marketed for motion sickness and morning sickness. Fortunately, I haven't had much morning sickness in this pregnancy, but right before I got pregnant, I was having serious problems withdrawing from the SSRI Paxil. The nausea and dizziness from that were incapacitating. I got the sea bands, and they worked amazingly well! While it didn't 100% take away the nausea, it dulled it enough that is was barely noticeable. Either way, if you can't keep anything down, both your health and the baby's will suffer, so you need to find something that will work for you. If the sea bands work, that's great! If not, get the drugs from your doctor!!

Sara

Apple juice has been my savior.

If it's bothering you that bad maybe you should get some meds.

I hope you feel better soon! (((hug)))

If your friends and family give you a hard time, ask them if they are the ones getting up in the middle of the night throwing up and getting up in the morning throwing up. Are they concerned that you can't hold any food down, do they do everything in their power to make you feel comfortable so that baby is healthy? What I'm trying to get at is, you're the one feeling ill all day long, that is very miserable. That can't be good for you or the baby. I'm glad you decided to call your OB. I really hope you get to feeling better soon. Take care of yourself and that baby. :hugs:

:hugs: I really have no advice hun but I had REALLY bad morning sickness with this pregnancy. I have lost almost 20lbs from it. I just wanted to give you a hug and it will get better hang in there!:hugs:

This is YOUR pregnancy and no one elses!!!!!!

I was on 2 different anti-sickness tablets as I had hyperemesis gravidum. One was a standard anti-sickness prescribed with chemo, the other was a stronger one prescribed for chemo which I also had to take. I really had no choice as I was having to keep going to hospital for dehydration as I could not even keep water down nevermind eat! I lost 21lbs in 3 weeks....... There is NO WAY a hospital would prescribe these things if you did not need them. OK there are a few that they really only like to prescribe if absolutely necessary, but it is a case of weighing up your health & well being too, as if you are not fit to handle the pregnancy, what will that do long-term to you and inturn your baby?

It is simply no one esles business except you and your Doctor! :hugs:x

Thanks for all of your support ladies! :hugs: I called my OB yesterday. They put me on Phenergan to start and said if that doesn't help we'll discuss where we go next at my appointment in a few days. The Phenergan helps some. I'm still nauseous but nowhere near as bad as it was without the Phenergan. I can live with this level of nausea. Thanks again for all the support and kind words. Y'all really helped me make a tough decision. :hugs:

I didn't see this thread yesterday, was just going to say, don't tell them your taking the medicine its none of their business anyway

Glad you feel better!

I'm really sorry you feel that way, I hope you feel better soon

Glad you are having relief. I just got over that intense morning sickness...

My insurance wouldn't cover the Zofran at all, and it was going to cost nearly a grand a month to put me on it... DH was so at his wits end with me he said 'we'll figure out a way to pay for it... you need it!' LOL

My doc thankfully advised I take a unisom tablet with a b-6 vitamin and that helped tremendously. It was about $40 total for 2 1/2 months worth of taking it every day.

Just wanted to mention my story as another option to explore with docs of women who are going through the same thing, who either have an aversion to prescription drugs while pregnant or have financial limitations.

:hugs:

Remember two things:

1.It is absolutely NOT their business! It's your body and who is to judge you for wanting to eat??? And NOT throw up??? You're doing yourself and the baby more harm by not being able to eat! You both need the nourishment!

2. THEY are NOT the ones who have to be sick, so they have absolutely NO idea what they're even talking about. I've been much like you this time around- although I have a few good days here and there where I can eat. But when I'm sick, NOTHING helps! I don't even have it as bad as you and I'm thinking about talking to my doctor for help!

Good luck hun!!!:hugs:

Glad you have done what you think is right...to hell with what anyone thinks you wont get any praise for suffering..hope you are feeling bettter :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->