determined to BF just doesnt work?

stomp110

Reaction score
Im 100% going to breast feed and do it longer than 48 hours (which is what my first one lasted) I could not get her to latch at all I ended up getting in such a fuss I just gave up..

is there such thing as not being able to latch on anything I can do to help things go smoothly? X

You could try getting a professional to check the latch. Tongue or lip tie can affect babies ability to latch, hopefully a professional would spot that. Otherwise they would help with techniques to get baby latched effectively, different holding positions work for some people etc.

There is always hope if you are determined, but be prepared to ask for help if you are struggling (which most people do in those very early days).

I second the nipple shield. We used it in the NICU with my preemie and it worked great. Now we are weaning from it. Going fine.

My DS wouldn't latch, he was a complete nightmare when it came to boobies! We were messed around at the hospital, with pumps, and syringes and BF just never got going.

Like you I was so determined to get it going t his time, my DD was born by EMCS, I only agreed to the section if I could have skin to skin straight away, I was very ill in theatre so only had 10ish minutes of skin to skin, and they took DD away. We were reunited in the delivery suite, and she latched on after the 4th or 5th attempt, we've had our ups and downs, thrush and sore nipples but on the whole it's been fairly simple.

Good Luck! X

I think determination is the most important thing. I couldn't get Devyn to feed properly for almost two weeks. Every feeding we would.work.on getting him latched for about 20 minutes then I would pump and feed what I pumped. One day we had a breakthrough and he started feeding on my right side so I continued to offer the left side for a few minutes every feed then switching to the other side and pumping the left when we were done. One day out of nowhere he finally latched on the left side too and now he's a pro :)

Determination. I lasted 5 days with my first. This time i did a bucket load of research, i watched a ton of videos on different positions and trouble solving.

Before i had him i contacted our local LC and she came round and went through all the basics with me, then she visited on my first day home and we established straight away that he had tongue tie. So for the first 10 days he only fed in rugby ball position as only way he could latch. And then we had his tongue snipped and things improved. Deff invest in Lanoish for sore nipples, and i got these pads that he you can heat/freeze for engorgement.

I agree with those that say determination. We had latch issues from Tongue Tie (and lip tie) and still have supply issues to this day. Also find a recommended lactation consultant. Preferably one that is good at finding ties (even posterior ones), just in case.

Research and a lactation consultant .

Unless recommended by a lactation consultant or doc stay away from the nipple shield , try can themselves cause latch and supply issues if you use one and don't need it for someting like flat nipples

Honestly, I've used a nipple shield with both of my sons and have oversupply. It's not something to be afraid of if you need it.

I couldn't get mine to latch for nearly a week. Nipple Shield in the end got us started and was weaned off as soon as possible.

I expressed colostrum, then pumped when milk came in. I fed via syringe, and then cup.

Perseverance is the key, they have to learn what to do as much as you. It is important to have good support for people to check latch, etc as well.

Thank you so much girls!!! When did you start storing colostrum or milk? Can you start when your pregnant (after 37 weeks)? X

I use a shield as recommended by the LC because at nipples and a very tiny baby. He's 9 days old and the only way I can get him to latch is on the shield. I pump twice a day and get around 4-5 oz, so no supply problem here. BF is frustrating and hard. I highly recommend going to a LC. I've seen one once since we've been home and already have an appt for next Monday

I collected and froze colostrum from 36 weeks because I had gestational diabetes x

My DS didn't latch until 8 days. That first week was hell - round the clock expressing, cup feeding, trying to encourage him to latch. But pretty much all babies will latch eventually. If you end up with another that won't latch easily, try and avoid bottles and go for cup and syringe, express as much as you can so your supply isn't compromised, and have lots of skin to skin to stimulate your milk and remind LO that boobs exist!

Thank you :) I WILL do this!!! Everything that put me under stress before (being embarrased so I brought a cover to hide) what is a LC and how do I book a appointment x

For me it was determination alone that got me through BF. I was lucky enough to not have any issues, supply was fine, DS latched fine, usual nipple pain but not enough to justify stopping, but that didn't make it easy. There were still obstacles to cross such as shaking the fear you're not making enough, hearing about all those sleeping FF babies, being the only one to be able to get up in the night do feed etc, there was plenty of reasons I could have stopped but grit determination got me through it. I hope the same will be the case this time but hopefully il generally be more confident about it all, but I know if I get an issue like the ones you hear of I will get the help I can find before looking at other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->