Development- actual age vs corrected age

Lottie86

Mummy to Findlay & Iona
Reaction score
When it says in books that babies do things at a certain age will Findlay do them when he is actually that age or when his corrected age is that age?

Sorry if it's a silly question!

Not a silly question at all! TBH it totally depends. I have always just assumed Poppy will do things when she is at the corrected age but some things she has done in line with her actual age. She smiled at 6 weeks (actual age) but didn't sit up properly till she was about 7 months (actual age).
She was 6 weeks prem so I just make allowances for her if she's a bit slow! I sort of prefer it in a way - takes any pressure off reaching the milestones at the same time as all the other babies her age, in my antenatal group etc :blush:

Hey there, I agree with the other Mum. Archie has done some things in line with his actual age but I would go for his corrected age for most things. Don't put pressure on your little one if they are a bit slower that a 'normal' baby.

aiden did things at the tagets at his actual age although with walking he was a yr and 3 months but health visitor etc werent worried as they still correct his age now :S
very complicated business,especially when they get over one,as some health care professionals seem to correct whilst others dont.

doctors will generally go by a preemies corrected age for milestones and development because they are technically only supposed to be what there corrected age is. But all babies will eventually hit their milestones when they are ready!

I think they do some things at actual age and some things by corrected age. Noah for example is finally walking most of the time at 16 months. Adjusted 14 months.

i think its a mix too. Molly seemjs to be further ahead in her cognitive milestones than her physical ones.

Thanks everyone. My doctor has told me he'll do Findlay's development checks when he's at the right corrected age so his 8 week one will be when he's 13 weeks rather than done along with his first set of jabs.

I'm glad you are feeling reassured. Its strange hey? Especially having to explain it to people "well, she's 5 and a half months, but because she was born 7 weeks early she is more like a 3 and half month old baby, so on some things she is right were she should be for her actual age, but others she's a bit behind, but she'll be all caught up by the time she is 2".
It sorta shuts some people up, I've noticed.
Betty's doc measures her at her actual age, but she takes her corrective age into consideration with everything she may be "behind" on.

When people ask what age is Archie I think to myself...now will I tell then 4 weeks or just over 4 months....Lets tell them just over 4 months and see their jaw drop LOL.

freddy is 5 and half months old now, i always look at his corrected age for milestones and compare him to my friends baby that was born 2 days after his supposed birthday.:happydance:

When people ask what age is Archie I think to myself...now will I tell then 4 weeks or just over 4 months....Lets tell them just over 4 months and see their jaw drop LOL.

yeah i get that! freddy was born 13weeks early so when i say hes 5mths thet look at me oddly so i am forever explaining:hug:

Alex was born at 35 weeks weighing 5lb 3oz , he is 8 weeks now some things he has done for his actual age but others such as feeding he is only at his adjusted age stage (3 weeks) . HV has adjusted his growth chart which means he is measuring excately right for his adjusted age.

I keep getting worried as Freddy is just out of the low weight blue zone in the red book How do they adjust it for preemies??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->