Developmental disorders/learning disabilities/genetic syndromes & more support group

Hi, I hope its OK to post here; please let me know if not.
DS (6) has learning difficulties and hearing issues. He is in a mainstream year 2 class with some extra support (he goes to a group for motor skills each morning, he has 1:1 for speech and writing and has small intervention groups for literacy and numeracy, and will attend a group for children with anxiety/confidence issues from next week. I'm very pleased about this last one as DS struggles with asserting his own wants and needs and does whatever other children tell him to do and I worry constantly that he will get into big trouble with this as he gets older and others realise they can easily manipulate him). He currently doesn't have hearing aids, I thought that's the route we were going down but at his last appointment we were told his hearing has actually improved. I haven't noticed any difference, nor has school, but I really hope they are right and his hearing will show an improvement. DS struggles a lot academically but is a really hard worker and never stops trying.

DD1 (4.5) started Reception in September. She has sensory issues (which have vastly improved from when she was a baby/toddler) and is undergoing assessment for ASD. She is exhibiting a lot of anxiety/OCD type behaviour at school; licking herself like a cat, pulling out her eyelashes and eyebrows, going non-verbal (but talking like normal as soon as she came out of school. We have issues with imaginary friends who she finds very controlling and DD not mixing with the children in her class so much because she gets lost in her own imaginary world. She really likes school though and loves learning.

DS and DD1 both have iep's and receive SN care; DD is currently on just for G&T but if anything comes of her assessments the school will receive extra funding. They actually both go into year 1 for phonics/reading which is a bit difficult as obviously DS is going down and DD is going up and DS feels upset about it.

My son Jayden is turning 10 in July and has ADHD, High Functioning Autism, Learning Disability and developmental delayed. He has an IEP at the school he goes to. He also gets occupational therapy and speech. He does get frustrated and struggles but he does work hard to get good grades. He just got an award the other day. I'm so proud of him.
29597880_2053571408246430_4331517924415484204_n.jpg

I know this thread isn't active but in case it ever is again...

My DS is 6.5 and diagnosed with ASD & Tourette Syndrome (which is WAY more complex than just tics) and is currently being assessed for ADHD.

He was born seemingly healthy but at 4 weeks old developed Sepsis due to urinary tract problems. He dealt with kidney problems until around 5 years old and it was at that time all of the other issues that had been present for the last 2 years snowballed and got really bad.

We're newly diagnosed but he developed his TS at 3 years old so we've been dealing with it for a few years now.

Hi Clair

My oldest DS is 6, has ASD and hypermobility and goes to a special school.

It sounds like you’ve been through a lot. It’s so hard sometimes. :( I’ve never heard of TS in one so little so that must have brought it’s own challenges.

My youngest is 3.5 and although he’s been through the same assessments, he’s been signed off and attends mainstream nursery.

Hi Clair

My oldest DS is 6, has ASD and hypermobility and goes to a special school.

It sounds like you’ve been through a lot. It’s so hard sometimes. :( I’ve never heard of TS in one so little so that must have brought it’s own challenges.

My youngest is 3.5 and although he’s been through the same assessments, he’s been signed off and attends mainstream nursery.

It sure has been a crazy ride so far! I hadn't either, honestly I didn't know much about it minus the media's portrayal until he'd had it for about 2 years.

That's good news about your youngest! My son only has a choice of one school really but there is another close that is mainstream but also accommodating to additional needs kids, I've been thinking about looking into moving him, he attended their nursery due to living in the catchment then but his school can only really cope with him rather than be equipped to let him flourish. Did your DS previously attend a mainstream school?

That’s exactly how my son started off. He attended the local day nursery and they just coped with him - he hardly made any progress. Then the local SEN team were called in to observe him and he was offered a place at a special nursery which was amazing. But we were lucky have access to that facility. From there, they secured him a place at his special school.

Our kiddies deserve more than just being ‘managed’ don’t they? If you think your DS could make more progress somewhere else, then go for it and won’t hurt just to make some enquiries. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->