Developmental Worries

T

turbo_mom

So Angelynn is going to be 8 months adjusted on the 28th and i'm a little worried about her skills. She can *almost* sit up by herself but once she realises that Im not hanging on to her she pushes back in a very defiant manner lol so it doesn't last very long

But she doesn't play on her tummy, doesn't go up on her hands and definetely doesn't show any interest in standing up. I don't see the perinatal follow up clinic until nov.26 and i'm worried about but what they are going to say..
Is it all my fault that she can't do these things? I've told my friend who has an 8 month old who is already trying to walk and she says oh well it will happen don't worry.. easy for her to say! She's never had to worry about any of this :cry:
I just worry and I was hoping she'd at least be able to almost crawl by her birthday but i know thats not going to happen :hissy:
What do I do???

:blush: I was going to say what your friend did.. I'm sure she will get it! Did they say there's any chanc she wouldn't?

how early was she? What we were told about the developmental stuff was work off the corrwcted age so for instance when Ellen was 8 months old she was actually only 4 months old as she came 4 months early. Wen you correct her like this does she still seem to struggle?
Just after her first birthday Ellen stood (holding onto my hands) but it took her a further 8 months to do it on her own and actually walk. She also crawled at the same time (12 months) which was corrected 8 months.
Try not to compare with a term baby of the same actual age, try and work off corrected ages, its what the docs should be doing anyway.

I'm a preschool teacher and have worked with lots of babies ages 6 weeks to 18 months. Average most of my babies weren't even beginning to walk until at least 12 months. I've also had some of my chubbier babies not even crawling first, they went straight to walking. Some of my pre-mature babies didn't walk till 15 to 18 months. They have all caught up, but in my experience there is nothing to worry about. Every baby develops differently I wouldn't worry yet, if you really are worried you can always talk to your doctor.

Hope that helps :)

hey, didnt want to read and run.

my friend had triplets through ivf , delivered at 29 weeks. Weights between 1-2 lbs.

They never sat up until about 10 months corrected, and never walked until around a year and a half. however, they are now 2 1/2 and have caught up very well, they are like any other child their age, so dont worry hun. maybe you could speak to your health visitor for advice

xxx

I really wouldn't start worrying just yet, hun. My nephew didn't start crawling until he was 12 months old, didn't start walking until he was 15 months. MrBum's brother didn't crawl or walk until even later (18 months I think, he started crawling). There was nothing wrong with either of them (except maybe for a case of chronic laziness!); they are both now very happy, active and extremely intelligent 2 and 3 year olds.

MrBum STILL doesn't walk ;) ... and we know he can because we've caught him running around without his wheelchair :rofl:

Don't compare your baby with anyone. I know doctors, health proffessionals and even other mums can seem to hold expectations of what you daughter should be doing. But realistically every baby is different and you can't expect them all to follow a chart (I've learnt this from the growth charts they seem to expect babies to follow - according to those Anna is under weight! HA!)

Just wait and see what the doctors say at your next appointment, or even better - wait and see how your Angel does - she may surprise you yet :) x

:blush: I was going to say what your friend did.. I'm sure she will get it! Did they say there's any chanc she wouldn't?

So was I, sorry! Sam's a bit youger than Angelynn's adjusted age but he's only just sitting up for longer on his own now. He's just shown no interest in doing certain things because he prefers being in other positions.

There are 3 local mums I meet up with every couple of weeks and we all have boys, all born within 2 weeks of each other and there are so many differences in their development in all different areas. If they're good or advanced at one thing they're not so good at anything else (I assume because they enjoy doing certain things and being in certain positions, and so they don't develop in some ways until they find they have to to get around).

I know this isn't much help, but if I compare Sam to them on some things he would seem really behind...but I know some babies who just had no interest in walking before 14 months (even trying to) - nothing wrong with them, they just didn't want to.

I was inspired by your photos of Angelynn on the bench and took some of Sam on one this week - probably the first time I could have done it without worrying about him falling off so she does seem similar to him in terms of sitting! :hugs: x

Hiya,
You may remember my little girl Charlotte who was also born at 24+5 in July 07. Her corrected age is 11 months and she is still not sitting unaided yet. Infact does very similar things to your little girl in that when Im not there she just throws herself back. She has been seeing a physio therapist for about 5 months who is pleased with her progress. I know how worrying it is and I, like you, used to set mini deadlines in my head about when she should be doing certain things. Ive stopped doing this now, I figure that as long as she is still progressing and moving forward with her development then that is the main thing. We cannot use the same milestones as term babies. Try not to worry too much. It's the end result that's important no matter how long it takes them to get there.

Your little girl looks lovely by the way.

WWW.charlottelow.com

Love
Sam

:hugs: it's definitely not your fault! It's very common for premature babies to be behind, even on their adjusted age. She will get to these things in her own time- premature or not, babies all develop at different rates anyway.

My little girl Olivia (who is 15 months old now) didn't sit up by herself until she was almost a year, and within a month or two of that she was walking. It wasn't that she couldn't physically sit up.. she just didn't want to! She was born at 29 weeks, and her twin brother Jake was able to sit up from about 7 months.

How are her fine motor skills?

Like Samanta above said, it's common to set the little targets in your head, most of us do it, but it's not always the best idea. Just look how far Angelynn has come so far, and focus on the little improvements she's making every day! She will get there, even if it's not at the same time as other babies. She'll bridge the gap and catch up, but in her own time :)

:hugs:

Hi Hun, Just wanted to say my little boy was born at 32 weeks and 4 days and he didn't sit up til he was a year old then he didn't walk til he was about 18 months. But now he is on adverage with all the other 6 year olds.
Angelynn will do things when she is ready and then there will be no stopping her hun. She will do it in her own time when she is ready, so don't worry hun, its normal.
Luv Cheryl xxx

Hi Turbo,

We know what you are going through and I know Samantha has replied to you but the most fantastic thing happened tonight Our little one, is 15 months old today, 11 months corrected, and for the first time, totally out of the blue managed to sit for a minute or two, using her hands to support herself. She cannot do this unaided but has never shown signs of being able to sit before today. It was magical. we are confident she will be sitting unaided within a few weeks

As long as your angel reaches her milestones , it does not matter how long she takes to reach them she will.! The most difficult thing with having a very early premmie is learning patience and trusting in them to achieve those milestones. I had begun to wonder if she would ever sit but since she started at Nursery two week ago, and has been interacting with other kids, it is incredible how far she has come.

Thank you so much for your replies everyone.....
I try not to put expectations on Angelynn.. I think it's a subconcious thing.. I go out with my friend who has her full term baby who is doing everything already (8 months old and wanting to walk) and so I guess it makes me feel worried... and also not only that but the doctors at the hospital put expectations on her too and I worry about what they will say when I take her in and she's not doing these things that they are expecting her to be doing..

Ali that is so wonderful to hear!!! Charlotte is doing so well and she's so cute :cloud9: it doesn't make me feel so worried about Angels progress when I see that most preemie babies are behind in some way..
But over the last week she has already started to sit very well. She can sit unaided for a few seconds before she flops over :)

But i'm learning to trust her and what she feels like doing. it's not fair for me to get upset about her not being able to do these things. She's come so far in such a short amount of time that I all I can be is thankful. We are lucky enough that she's still here with it :)

Hiya ,

You are totally right , and we feel the same way in that we feel so lucky that we have her with us, compared to many parents whose little Angels do not survive or couples who remain childless. We fee lso lucky to have her.

Her physio does think her movement problems are a result of her brain damage at birth and that it is a sign of a mild form of cerebral palsy , but
all we see is a lovely happy little princess. She will be having physio for the longterm but I think she can overcome anything as she shows such determination and a feisty fighting spirit.

Our biggest problem at the moment is that our little rascal constantly pulls her hearing aids off and puts them in her mouth , we are scared she may choke. She can have one off in under a second so has to be constantly watched. I did suggest to Samantha we could bind them on with masking tape but I don't think her reply should be posted on here.

Anyway I hope you Jay and Angel are all well and we wish you the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"