Devistated to be back for at least 6 months: ectopic

loeylo

1DD, 1 pup, WTT#2
Reaction score
Hi again, I guess!

We have been WTT since first miscarriage in January 2011, with an unplanned pregnancy in 2012. We have been very lax about contraception over the last year, and were delighted to find out I was pregnant last Sunday!

Due to having two miscarriages and no children, we were understandably worried, but symptom wise it looked good and I was havig super dark tests. Yesterday, I woke up with severe cramps, and long story short I ended up being diagnosed as having an ectopic pregnancy. The drug I was given to treat it means I cannot ttc for at least 6 months.

We are both distraught, and my partner is also really worried about me as I have around 20% chance of still needing surgery, and 14% chance of a tube rupture which is an emergency. I have t stopped crying since yesterday, and I am especially distraught to discover that after an ectopic you only have 60% chance of carrying a successful pregnancy. Add two miscarriages into the mix and the situation looks even worse.

The doctor in the hospital insisted I didn't need investigations (what?!?) however the nurses and midwives have agreed to refer me to the recurrent miscarriage clinic for testing.

So , I guess it is hello again?

Thanks for the reply. How long are you waiting for?

It sucks as I am going to have to go on birth control to ensure I don't get pregnant as the drugs used to treat the ectopic are highly toxic. I need to ensure I don't fall pregnant for at least 6 months. I then need to come off contraception and have some natural cycles so I can have recurrent miscarriage testing. Then I need to wait to discover the outcome of the testing.

I read online that I have got between 50 and 60% chance of carrying a successful pregnancy (not each pregnancy, those numbers are for ever!) after an ectopic. Add two miscarriages into the mix and the outcome looks pretty crap. Now I am starting to doubt ever becoming a mum. Two days ago I thought that I was finally getting there, now I am in a worse position than ever.

i am so so sorry, i dont even know what to say that must have been so awful when you found out, you know where to come if you ever need to rant/vent/need support :hugs:

So sorry for your losses. Hoping this time passes quickly and you move on to a healthy pregnancy when you are able to try again.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Take time to heal and hopefully the results are positive and the next 6 months fly by. I cant imagine what you are going through.

I'm so sorry for your loss, it must be heartbreaking after everything you've been through.

I'm glad you've got a referral for further testing, make sure you keep pushing for answers and support.

Oh no loeylo, I've been thinking about you and was so pleased that you were pregnant (hoping that you remember me from wtt otherwise this just sounds weird). I'm so sorry that this isn't a positive outcome :(

I'm glad that you're being referred for further investigations though and that hopefully they can find a solution so you can have your forever baby. Take the time to heal and grieve in the mean time :hugs:

Thinking of you xx

I am so sorry to hear about your losses :( This board is very supportive & lots of people are here to talk if you need :flower:

Hi h just want to drop in and give you hope. I'm so sorry to hear if your losses and ectopic.

I had a mmc followed by and ectopic treated successfully with methotrexate. I did unfortunately go on to have 2 more m/c's but I now have a dd and 26 weeks with #2. I hope you get your rainbow soon x

Rachie - of course I remember you! Thank you so much, and congratulations! All going well?

Cazi - thank you so much for giving me hope! Did you ever find a reason for your losses? I was so close to surgery, my bloods were over 3000 which in most local authorities means they won't do methotrexate. Luckily, the hospital I went to has a threshold of 5000. Because I was already in pain, they wanted me to have surgery, and the sac was also close to the threshold size too!

I am pretty sure I was already miscarrying as both my miscarriages have been mmc and the pain has been very similar, and the pain wasn't worse on them pressing my tummy either. Hopefully my numbers will have dropped enough on Thursday for surgery to be avoided.

I thought I had went through all my bad luck with the miscarriages, the. To suffer an ectopic as well was just really cruel!

Sorry to for your loss.

But I want to try cheer you up. My uncles wife had a emergency operation years ago due to ectopic pregnancy and her tube was removed. Since then she has had two children :) so dont give up hope!

Thanks. And just noticed you are from Iceland. Wow! I was in Iceland a few years back for a break, such an interesting country!

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses :hugs:
I wish you the best of luck as you go forward. But as PP's have said, I have a friend who also had a similar situation and conceived afterwards.

Hi,
I have just had an ectopic pregnancy i found out on the 25th July after going in for a scan because of bleeding and was in surgery the next day to have it removed along with part of my tube, my hcg was 2000 which the doctor said was high enough to have surgery it must be different rules for different hospitals, i was about 6 weeks pregnant. I don't come across a lot of people who have had ectopics on here.
I also had a miscarriage at 5 weeks pregnant about 8 weeks before the ectopic as well so i dont know if the two are related or if my c section 3 years ago made me more at risk because if the scarring.
I have been told to wait 3 months but its hard i'm still waiting for my first period its been nearly six weeks!
I know my chances of pregnancy are now reduced so i am doing opk's and tracking my cycle and taking good vitamins to give us the best chance!
Once i had my surgery i was discharged with no follow up or investigations but if i do get pregnant again i will get early scans, just scared it will happen again its a lot to go through hope it works out for you.

I'm so sorry for your loss but you might take heart in knowing that you've misinterpreted the figures. The 60% isn't over a lifetime but over the course of a year. If you TTC continuously for two years your odds are 85%. I think it's due to scar tissue in your tubes impeding the swimmers. Given that your first two pregnancies weren't tubal and you've one unaffected tube I think you'll be okay eventually. I've got four friends (one who lost a tube due to rupture) who had an ectopic, either as their first pregnancy or later after a mc/child and they all went on to have live births afterwards. 100% success rate :)

Hi,
I have just had an ectopic pregnancy i found out on the 25th July after going in for a scan because of bleeding and was in surgery the next day to have it removed along with part of my tube, my hcg was 2000 which the doctor said was high enough to have surgery it must be different rules for different hospitals, i was about 6 weeks pregnant. I don't come across a lot of people who have had ectopics on here.
I also had a miscarriage at 5 weeks pregnant about 8 weeks before the ectopic as well so i dont know if the two are related or if my c section 3 years ago made me more at risk because if the scarring.
I have been told to wait 3 months but its hard i'm still waiting for my first period its been nearly six weeks!
I know my chances of pregnancy are now reduced so i am doing opk's and tracking my cycle and taking good vitamins to give us the best chance!
Once i had my surgery i was discharged with no follow up or investigations but if i do get pregnant again i will get early scans, just scared it will happen again its a lot to go through hope it works out for you.

Hi Claire, think I have already spoken to you in my other thread?

They did offer me surgery but I asked for methotrexate instead as I don't get paid for my time off work so wanted to get back ASAP.

Girlinyork - oh right. That wasn't stated in the form which they made me sign. It states "the chance of a future successful pregnancy after methotrexate is 55%-60%" even if that is the case, it doesn't offer me much reassurance due to my two previous miscarriages.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this. I had an ectopic pregnancy in April, so I understand what you are going through.
My HCG was more than 5000 when they gave me methotrexate if i remember correctly. Just fyi, my levels rose a little bit the first couple of days after and then they started dropping steadily. About a month after the shot my levels were back down to zero. I did bleed for that whole month.
So you know there is a ttc after methotrexate post here somewhere... it's a little slow right now, but there is a lot of valuable information on there which may help as you're going forward. People are on there from the moment they receive methotrexate to the ttc process again and the range of experiences can be very helpful.

Here: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/ttc-after-loss/570000-ttc-after-methotrexate-shot.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->