DH lost his job- help me salvage xmas please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

missk1989

Reaction score
My DH just lost his job and whilst he is doing his best to look for another all i can think it what about xmas?!!

We have made plans to stay home this year for the first time just our little family so food will be bought using our nectar points.

We have loads of decs so this isnt a problem although the lights on the tree have gone.

My DH birthday is a week before and then we have both sets of parents, my 2 sisters, His gran, my grandad, his uncle and cousin and two sets of friends. And of course lo who is 2. (were planning one of those cars they can drive but with a parental remote too but they are £149)

We only have my wage which is £1k a month. I plan on selling a few things so hopefully be able to get together about £400 for xmas.

Any ideas on cheap but really nice gift ideas i can give? I hate people thinking we are cheap even if they do know our situation. :cry:

Very sorry to hear that! Don't worry about seeming cheap, but I know how you feel. Can you do a gift of your time? Cook them meals or something? Have LO make them some gifts or do a project with him yourself?

I would arrange with friends/ family to not get each other presents.

I'm really sorry about your circumstances, but as TopTrump has shown in her thread, it doesn't all need to be expensive :) I panicked about Christmas this year as it's the first I've had since being in my own home in 3 years. If it makes you feel any better, OH only brings in no more than £420 a month (without overtime) and me around £800. £200 of that goes to debt, £475 rent and rest on food and bills. I felt really anxious.

I've been getting cheaper gifts this year and really cut down on budgets.

For the female side I'm planning on making bath melts/fizzes/bombs (spend about £5 on ingredients and make LOTS!) And I've made glitter wine glasses (50-60p per glass, £2 on glitter & £1 for glue - all from Wilkos).

I'm designing some "nanny/grandad likes" posters to print off and frame (£1 frame & 20p print).

Don't beat yourself up over it, they will understand and should be grateful no matter what they receive x

I'm really sorry about your circumstances, but as TopTrump has shown in her thread, it doesn't all need to be expensive :) I panicked about Christmas this year as it's the first I've had since being in my own home in 3 years. If it makes you feel any better, OH only brings in no more than £420 a month (without overtime) and me around £800. £200 of that goes to debt, £475 rent and rest on food and bills. I felt really anxious.

For the female side I'm planning on making bath melts/fizzes/bombs (spend about £5 on ingredients and make LOTS!) And I've made glitter wine glasses (50-60p per glass, £2 on glitter & £1 for glue - all from Wilkos).

I'm designing some "nanny/grandad likes" posters to print off and frame (£1 frame & 20p print).

Don't beat yourself up over it, they will understand and should be grateful no matter what they receive x

sorry to butt in what kind of glue did you use for the glasses and how did they turn out? i want to make a few of these for gifts but all the ones i saw online used really expensive glue.

i don't have too much money this year i'm planning to make movie hampers.
slice of home made cookie pizza, name coke bottles, some cheap cozy socks, cheap dvd, bag of popcorn

£400 is still loads! We have set out to spend that or under for more people than that and 2 children to buy for :) you can definitely get some really nice things. Right now the body shop have a few big reductions as they've just launched a sale. Hot uk deals is a good website I've just discovered! X

The website camel camel camel tells you best prices products have gone for, you can set alerts for when they go back down, this may be handy :)

sorry to butt in what kind of glue did you use for the glasses and how did they turn out? i want to make a few of these for gifts but all the ones i saw online used really expensive glue.
I was reading online how to do them and they're like "use decoupage" which is £6-7!! After reading some more into it, Decoupage is actually PVA mixed with water 4:1. I still need to add possibly one more layer of glitter (done 2 already) and seal it (with the 'decoupage'). But they look great so far. Once they've stood for 21 days they're safe to wash x

brill thanks for that will pop to wilkos when i go shopping

Sorry to hear about your situation - we have been there twice now, so I have some idea how you feel. First time Hayden was just a couple of months old, second time he was 2 and #2 was on the way. Don't worry about seeming cheap - we didn't see the point buying token gifts for the sake of it, so agreed with everyone but immediate family not to exchange presents. Everyone knew our situation and they understood. I think some were secretly pleased not to have to get anything! Then I made a list and found a deal / used vouchers for everything - still in that habit now. I use Tesco and nectar points when they have sales / double ups, use camel camel camel to track prices (shocking how much they can vary) and start early to have plenty of time to hunt out bargains. The most important thing to remember is your 2 year old will be way more excited by all the boxes, wrapping paper etc, not to mention having the undivided attention of his favourite people than he will be about any toys, so really don't pressure yourselves to spend money you don't need to.
Wishing your oh luck finding something else soon x

For your LO could you check Ebay and charity shops? I think you'd be surprised how many barely used things you can find for extremely low prices.

For other relatives how about something heartfelt and home made? For example you could get your LO to paint a mug and make some oat and raisin biscuits or something? They will understand that things are really tough this year.

I'm sorry you're going through this. We've been through similar and the sick dread of worrying about money is just awful. I hope things start to look up soon :hugs:

I agree about not doing presents for the adults - we only buy small gifts for parents, siblings and our two neices. We don't buy for grandparents or extended family or friends. We used to spend a fortune but when we had DS I was in my last three months of maternity leave which were unpaid, and had only been on SSP for six months before that, so we had to cut back. We spend £15 max on each person, this year we've done it for less. Parents and siblings get a small personal gift each (this year is grandad/uncle socks off ebay for the men for around £3 each and a posh looking handwash/lotion pump bottle set from TK Maxx for the women, they were around £5 each). Then each couple gets a tin of biscuits or sweets between them which is about a fiver.

For your LO honestly I would ditch the car idea and spend that money on other things. My mum is insisting on buying DS one this year and I think it's a waste of money, she's admitted it's more for her than him! He has a metal trike which cost me about £15 and he loves riding round on that, and we've bought him a gokart for his 3rd birthday in january so I can't see him getting much use out of the car at all, but she won't listen.

The best gifts we got DS last year was his kitchen and his wooden train set. They're the only things he still plays with every day.

For £149 you could easily get a few good gifts that he'll play with all the time and get a few years out of, rather than the car which he might not bother with once the novelty wears off IYSWIM. And I'd ditch the filler presents because I spent a fortune last year and can't remember what else we got him or even if he still plays with them.

Awww hun :hugs: we had this happen to us years ago (on 13th December when company went into liquidation). It is so difficult. At least it sounds like you are organised and also there is still plenty of time to put everything in order.

Like others have said I really would not bother with the car, we wasted money on one of these for Gabriella, she literally drove once round the block on it and it was then sold at the car boot as they take up so much room!

Don't bother with other people, they really will be understanding and if they are not then they are not worth spending the money on anyway.

Take advantage of bogof, poundshops and general voucher offers. At the age your little one is at, as long as santa brings him some presents he will not care what or how much there is.

If you shop wisely £400 is a huge amount. Don't feel overwhelmed by the whole situation like I have said before, keep within your means and buy what you can afford, it is not a time for keeping up with the Jones.

£400 is plenty!
How about a framed photo of you LO for both grandparents?
Then maybe have a look at the boots 3 for 2 for your two sisters & uncle.

For both sets of parents how about sending an m&s hamper, if you order them separately then M&S let you send them to directly to each set of parents & it's free delivery over £20 so saves you having to post if you don't live close to them?
This one looks fab
https://www.marksandspencer.com/festive-cheer-gift-box/p/p21052467
Or how about making your own festive hamper using the christmas
items you see on offer in the supermarkets.
Wilko have some cute hamper baskets for around £2.50. (can't see them online but they were instore yesterday)

Check ebay for toys using distance to you, that way you save on postage & most sellers will list large items as collection only.
I got my little girls main present for £30 this way. x

£400 is more than enough, we are both unemployed and our budget is £500 for 15 people, xmas tree and decs etc and the xmas food!, anywhere you can cut your spending on things for a while helps, you could put £100 away from now till dec and maybe cut your spending or sell something to gain another £100. sorry to hear about your situation.

There are lots of ways to be penny savvy at Christmas and you will probably feel more proud of all the money you have saved! Facebook sites are great for picking up local items, or even if your OH wanted to make some extra money doing odd jobs locally if he is handy?? My local selling site is full of people prepared to pay for things being done. Alternatively I did see one chap actually post his CV on there looking for work-the response was phenomenal as people were just impressed to see him making every attempt to find some work-obviously it depends what your OH is looking for. On a positive note think of the extra time you will get to spend as a family-perhaps this could be the start of something better.

Remember if you are struggling to pay for anything just don't do it ! Xmas is not suppose to be about being skint! or struggling to buy gifts for people in your family. I understand buying for the children. Don't struggle to buy people things especially when you could do with that money!

You could start doing a bit of surveys online for a bit extra too.

Agree with what's been said, don't feel like you HAVE to buy gifts for everyone, just because you used to be abel to in the past. People will understand your situation and not think badly of you for it. I have family who can't afford to buy for everyone, and no one has ever thought badly of them. They buy for their kids, and that's what matters.

I'd be looking on Pinterest for some nice DIY gift ideas. There are soooo many things you can do/make that are really nice. We're cutting back this year too, due to a not great crop year. Typically Dh has extra money for Christmas from crops at harvest time, but this year particularly sucked for everyone with crops, so we're working on ideas for gifts that are much cheaper. I've bought a lot of secondhand toys for the boys (they are both too little to know or care they are secondhand anyways), plan to make them a few gifts like a Lego table, and plan to make some gifts for family, like canvas art, bath salts, etc. I think you'll find if you DIY some nice gifts, it'll save you a TON.

Also, I'd scrap the car gift thing for lo for this year and stick with a few other gifts you knowwill be well used. Those car type toys are hit or miss with most kids. They eitehr use them a lot, or not at all. It'd be a shame to blow your whole toy budget on one toy your lo ends up not using. Maybe next year if you are in a better financial place? But for now, I'd look for some other items that would get more use this coming year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"