Diabetics WTT or Pregnant...

Niki

Mummy to an Angel
Reaction score
What advice were you given or what were you told to do or not to do?
you obviosuly have to make sure your sugar level is under control but is there anything else?

Me and my other half are both diabetics and just wanted to know how has other Diabetics coped through pregnancy :)

Hi =)

I’m Type One Diabetic and I’m WTT (Feb 2011)…
I have researched and researched about Diabetes and Pregnancy and all I kept seeing Gestational Diabetes and nothing else.
I think that Diabetes Type One in general isn’t promoted enough and we just get pushed to the side. The research that I have found is:
- BhA1c less than 6.1% (mine was in may 2010 10.1% something like that!)
- 3 to 4 month Pre-Pregnancy Care. Where you are monitored and treatment maybe changed. (I want to be on that by the end of January 2011)
- besides the obvious range being 3.5 & 5.9 mmol/L (at the moment for me in my dreams! 3.5 is a hypo for me!)
- taking the extra doctor prescribed folic acid
- avoid possible treatment change (e.g. from tablets to insulin or different insulin regimen)

that’s all there is really. I told my Diabetic Consultant and Team about the Pre-Pregnancy Care that I wanted to go onto it by the end of the year.

Hope you have great Diabetic Care and your baby will be all healthy

Heather x

I am type 1 and 27 weeks pregnant (yey!!) with my first baby but miscarried one last year. Both were planned and I have been told that it was not diabetes related as to why I miscarried.
When I first started to try last year my HBA1C was 7.2% I think and I was told it was adequate to start trying. I didnt take the extra 5mg folic acid (I took normal pregnacare etc..) untill af ew weeks into my first one, but carried on taking it after the miscarriage and right up to 12 weeks pregant (I waited 6 months to get pregnant again). So my advice is to start taking that straight away, even before getting pregnant.
My GP didnt seem to think I needed it so I had to argue that one :)
As for the on going care, my blood sugars have never been better. I am seen at the hospital every 2 weeks by a consultant and diabetic nurse who are always on hand for advice and as an added bonus as well as the normal scans I get a scan every 2 weeks from 28 weeks (yey!). The only thing is that I agree with hawalkden, I consider myself hypo below 4 and always was happy if my sugars were below 10. now they say i'm high if i'm 8!! Although there are more risks and hassles with monitering I have really found it fine so far although I am craving chocolate so obviously I get the odd high.

The midwife said I wont go beyond 38 weeks so will be induced, and our babies can be normal or small as well as big!! a really great website is www.diabetessupport.co.uk which has a pregnancy forum, purely diabetic women talking about their pregnancies!
It is very reassuring to see people in the same boat and it really isnt that easy to have perfect blood sugars all the time! Hope this helps!!
Oh yeah it is also intersting to see how other peoples sugars are changing at different stages, I was low all the time for the first 12 weeks so had tio reduce my insulin alot now they are creeping up!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->