• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dialated Kidney?

babyvaughan

<a href="https://lilypie.c
Reaction score
Week ago they scared me saying he had irregular heartbeat, I went for echo and his heart was beautiful with no issues and a regular beat! Wednesday I had my anatomy scan I was 20w6d I got a call today that everything looked wonderful just that his kidney or kidneys is slightly dialated. She said not to worry its likely to resolve before birth. Im calm but worried because I don't want something major to be wrong with him I'm so in love with him I just want everything to be perfect for him. Have any of you experienced this? They said they will rescan to check on it in about a month but not to worry. I have another scan at high risk clinic for the 17th so I will get an update then!

Don't worry about it!!! my son had a dilated kidney at his 20 week scan and the other follow up scan - but it resolved itself by the time he was born. majority of the time it resolves by birth anyhow. My son who is now 2, has no issues :) We just made sure he pee'd and kept track of how many wet diapers he had for the first few days.
It's also more common with boys.

Try not to stress :hugs:

I'll add too, the Dr's weren't concerned about it. They even said he could have just needed to pee the time they did the scan. :haha:

Awh thank you that gives me some hope for our situation! :)

Try to relax as much as you can. Sounds like you've been having a rough time :(
they sometimes seem to mention stuff that they don't think is a huge deal & don't realize how huge of a deal it is for us mom's. Then they send us home in a panic, stressing the rest of the pregnancy.

Best of luck. update when you go in for your follow up. But I'm sure all will be well

My son had this, it didn't resolve before birth, he had to have antibiotics from the time he was born until about 6 months. There were numerous different tests he had to have done in the first year, and check ups regularly to make sure he didn't have any kidney infections/scarring. But he was/is totally fine and had no complications. It was more of an inconvenience rather than something to worry about, if that makes sense?
I was told it's more common in boys and most times it resolves itself xx

My daughter had this as well. Detected on a 20 week scan, and also at 24 weeks and 32 weeks. She had an ultrasound a month after birth and it had resolved itself. No issues! Try not to stress as hard as that is. This rarely turns into something major. If it does its usually in babies who have a lot of fluid built up!

I have been doing well on not stressing I get my moments but I stop right away, and I stopped goggling which helped the most! Tomorrow is my high risk appt/scan I'm nervous really hoping its either fix or no worse than before. My doc appointment last week she said not to worry very low like 1% chance to become a serious problem. She couldn't give me the number it was dilated but said the note said Mild dilation. Tomorrow I will find out an exact measurement! Thanks for giving me so positive experiences, I will update tomorrow what I find out!

I forgot to update but at my last appointment 6 weeks ago it was just one kidney and a 4.3 classed as Mild dilation. They say its likely to go away by 28 weeks but if still there at birth they will try treatment/ultrasound to check on it! Today is my recheck I have managed to not stress over it, I believe in my heart he will be okay and I'm sticking to that :) They say its a mild soft marker for down syndrome but I'm not even giving that second thought either. He's my baby and I love him no matter what! My scan is in a few hours I will update after in case someone reads this freaked out one day and they see the outcome :)

Good luck for the scan. As others have said, it often resolves itself or doesn't have any apparent cause.

My son had dilated kidneys and it turned out he had a very rare type of urethral obstruction. He had to have surgery as a baby and will be on antibiotics until he is completely potty trained but his kidneys returned to normal and kidney function has been totally fine. So he shouldn't be left with any lasting problems.

His specific condition is rare though.

My 28 week scan it was classified as just borderline, my 32 week scan on Tuesday it had become worse and falls under the condition again. I get check in 4 weeks I will be almost 37 weeks then and if its anymore than it is now they are going to take him out to avoid it doing any damage to his kidney she said its still likely to resolve before or just after birth but I'm meeting with a Pediatric Urologist to establish a plan!

Update for any worried mom that ever reads this. His condition become worse up until birth. At birth it then spread to the other kidney too. At two weeks old he went through a terrible test but it provided us with a miracle answer that he had none of the conditions requiring surgery and they expected it to resolve by age one. One kidney resolved by the 9 month check up and at one years old her was cleared totally normal and healthy! We have not had any issues regarding this since and he is now 3 years old!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->