Diclegis and breastfeeding? And breastfeeding while pregnant questions?

Skywalker

Reaction score
I just got my BFP for baby #3 and it's not real to me yet! But my question is, with baby #2, who I'm still EBF, I had hyperemesis gravardum and had to take Diclegis to keep anything down. I don't believe Diclegis is safe for breastfeeding, or is it? I know it's a class A drug and is safer than Tylenol in pregnancy but not sure if it passes into the breastmilk differently. If it isn't safe, are there any other effective HG drugs that are safe for breastfeeding?

My daughter is now 7 months old and refusing all bottles we've tried so I'm a little freaked out about the prospect of being pregnant and really sick with HG but not able to take anything because I'm breastfeeding, or not being able to ween her to a bottle if I need to. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, will I be able to continue breastfeeding her for the whole pregnancy or will I have to stop at some point?

Thank you!!!

Diclegis is just doxylamine and pyridoxine. That is a first generation, sedating antihistamine, and synthetic vitamin B6.

Doxylamine, like other sedating antihistamines, runs a slight risk of drowsiness in breastfed infants. Given your nursling is not really an infant and more of an older baby, I would be less concerned. I'm fairly certain I was allowed to give Benadryl (US version) which is similar, directly to my baby over 6 months. Anything you can give directly to a baby is fine for breastfeeding, because they get a much more dilute dose from your breastmilk. Also by 7 months your babe may be getting some of their nutrients from other sources, maybe not.

Pyridoxine is a necessary nutrient when breastfeeding.

It would be the first MS medication I'd take. I'd of course talk to your doctor, but it sounds pretty safe. You can always check out the lactmed database (google it) it is very helpful for breastfeeding medication safety.

Also, I breastfed DS through DD's pregnancy then tandem nursed until last month, and I'm continuing to feed DD through this pregnancy and hope to tandem feed DD and this baby.

More than likely, your milk will go or cut down drastically, usually in the second trimester. I believe it happened around 16 weeks in my last pregnancy (and had colostrum by 24 weeks). I'm not so sure this pregnancy, I think my nipples started hurting when she nursed and she started acting more frustrated around 20 weeks, but I'm almost 25 weeks and I know she is getting some liquid when she nurses, I see it in and around her mouth if I unlatch her. But she probably isn't getting much given her vigorous attempts to extract milk and more frustration at the start.

"dry nursing" - nursing when there is no milk, is still comforting to a breastfed baby. That is why I keep it up, that and my plans to tandem feed. However, since yours is so much smaller, I'd keep an eye on food and other milk intake. DD is almost 2, so she could get all her nutrition from food no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->