Diclegis/Diclectin UK?

bollz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

(Before I start, I know a lot of people are anti-drugs in pregnancy but each to their own I think.)

My best friend is currently 7 weeks pregnant and is suffering terribly with MS. I'm looking after her the best I can (her husband works away during the week) but I feel so sorry for her! We've tried every non medical solution written on the internet to very little effect.

Her doc has started her on Cyclizine but it doesn't seem to be working :( plus she says she feels very spaced out. The doc has said the next step is is Ondanestron but they are now quite cautious to prescribe it :-/ (we are in the UK).

Anyway, I was talking to my midwife cousin in Canada yesterday for some advice and she said they commonly give Diclectin over there and it has very positive results. So I've been googling away but I can't seem to find anything about it being taken in the UK? I found an article saying it's currently being licenced, so I'm guessing it's maybe not available? I thought maybe you might be able to get the generic antihistamine and b6 separately (friend is taking b6 supps anyway) but again, doesn't seem to be any info :-/ so again, I wondered if the antihistamine is also not available..

Do any UK based folk happen to know? Before we go back to the doctor to discuss..

Thank you :):)

Sorry your friend is suffering. I've had hyperemesis with both of my pregnancies, hospitalised several times, and been offered practically all of the medications available on the uk for sickness; I have never been offered Diclectin. I have had prochlorperazine (did nothing), cyclizine (again did nothing and made me spaced out), metachlopramide and avomine, as well as a couple of others. The ONLY thing that has ever worked for me is ondansetron. You may find that doctors are reluctant to prescribe it until she has ketones and is hospitalised, as it is expensive. There are also concerns about its safety, but my consultant has reassured me, and needs must to be honest. I couldn't function without it.

Take a look on the 'pregnancy sickness support' website, it's great. And tell your friend to hang in there!

I had to have medication with my second pregnancy as I had HG and was so very sick all the way until she was born the medication helped a bit! I had Cyclizine but it didn't touch the sides so I was given metachlopramide (this took the edge off) I am in the UK also

I hope your friend feels better soon and it is only a 1st tri thing for her :flower:

Thanks guys! I do think it might be a case of needs must for her with meds, life has just had to stop :( I'm TTC also and it makes me kinda nervous!

From your experience, did the ondansetron help with nausea as well as sickness? It seems to be the severe feeling sick that shes really struggling with.. the cyclizine seems to have reduced the vomiting a bit but the nausea is just as bad :-/

with my 1st pregnancy I had Cyclizine it stopped me being sick but I still felt the nausea if I left it too long between tablets or hadn't eaten etc this subsided during the 2nd tri

with my 2nd pregnancy I had HG so no it didn't stop the feeling of being sick or being sick but did mean I wasn't sick 5 times or more in an hour and I could function :wacko: just made it a little more manageable

How many times is she being sick or is it just the sicky feeling? has she tried sea sickness bands?

I don't think the tablets will stop her feeling sick just being sick!

I was told by my GP that if your mother was sick you will be sick as it is inherited (I have already apologized to my daughter) both my mum and sisters was very sick when pregnant

Maybe ask your mum if she was sick when pregnant and then you will know what you are dealing with but honestly being sick when pregnant yeah it sucks but it is so worth it :cloud9:

Yes the ondansetron partly stopped the nausea (it at least made it more manageable) with my HG in both cases. It is something to do with the medication stopping the 'sicky' feeling being transmitted to your brain. I would certainly go and see the GP again, your friend doesn't need to suffer in silence x

My friend is really physically sick as well as nausea. It looks awful! Luckily, she lives round the corner so my partner and I are keeping a close eye on her. I'm scared she's going to pass out or something! I'll def tell my friend to make another appointment, even if just the sickness stops, it'll be a lot less worrying for me and better for her!

My mum only felt sick in the evenings apparently.. hoping and praying that's genetic...! I have a bit of a phobia of being sick myself!

You might be able to get doxylamine succinate (Diclectin's antihistamine) under the trade name Unisom. It doesn't appear to be licensed in the UK either, but I've seen some websites selling it. (I'd be careful with that) Maybe ask a pharmacist.

I think I will ask a pharmacist... from googling it does appear that it's not something easily accessible in the UK for some reason :-/ I've not seen anyone UK based saying they were prescribed either diclegis or the generic histamine... which I find quite odd given the vastly positive reviews from across the pond!

I wouldn't buy anything on line but please do make her go back to the GP even if you go with her they should be able to give her something to help and she maybe dehydrated so may need a hospital visit to get some IV fluids which will help - staying hydrated will really help but I know first hand how hand it is to drink and/or keep the fluid down

I hope the Dr can give her something else

I'm the same as button & suffering from HG. I'm on cyclizine, prochloperezine (sp?), ondansetron. The ondansetron definitely works best for me& helps with the nausea aswell as vomiting. It's the last one they tend to prescribe though unfortunately & they don't like you taking it for long.

I'm in the US and was prescribed diclegis and it was AH-MAZ-ING! (And I work at a health foods store hehe). It really is just those two ingredients that you need. B6 and doxylamine, which can be found in most sleep aids. I suggest going and checking out your local pharmacys sleep aids and ok with the pharmacist that it is ok for a pregnant woman to take. Even diclegis is to be taken at night because it (technically) has all the properties of a sleep aid.

Good luck!

My mum only felt sick in the evenings apparently.. hoping and praying that's genetic...! I have a bit of a phobia of being sick myself!

Not trying to burst your bubble here...BUT...

My mom was never sick with any if us (3 girls)
My oldest sister was never sick (1 boy, 2 girls)
My middle sister was only sick once or twice with each pregnancy, but had the sick feeling constantly (2 boys)
And as for me...well I was sick right up until she came out. Literally. If I didn't take diclegis I would be in the bathroom at least every 15 minutes. No joke. Was hospitalized 5 times for dehydration because water made me sick. I even threw up in the operation room as they were preforming the c section. So basically, everyone is different. No one on my family has ever been as I was, but I also have a really weak stomach and will throw up during gore movies...

Oh ouch :( that must have been horrendous! So sorry it was so bad for you!

I've shuttled my friend back to the doc this eve, just sat waiting for her to come out! Hopefully they'll suggest something else! :)

Bollz what a lovely friend you are. Hope your friend gets some relief xx

Ah, thanks! :) I'm glad I can help really, it must be so worrying for both her and her husband with him having to be away all week :(

Doc has given her ondansetron but she's very worried about taking it. I think she's spent her days googling the side effects :-/

Its v difficult isn't it.. you've gotta look after yourself but I can see why it's worrying to take meds where the results are unknown. The evidence really does seem to be contradictory online. Some are ademant it's caused heart issues or club feet and some say it's likely the babies would have had those issues anyway! And then for all the positive stories, you don't want to be the anomilie where something goes wrong :( it's hard to know what to say when she asks me what I would do.. I tend to say I would take it if I was as ill as you but then I know I'd be struggling to cope probably more than her as I'm terrified of being sick!

Good news guys, friend took the ondansetron and it's worked a treat already. She's only been sick twice today and says the nausea in between is nearly gone. I'm so pleased :) she's still really worried about taking it but I think the relief has outweighed the worry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->