Did you know your baby needs vitamin drops?

maccy

Mum of 2 Gorgeous Girls
Reaction score
I am in the middle of doing a nutrician course and today we covered babies 0-1 (I have 8 month old) I was surprised to learn that the government recommends that you give your baby from 6 months vitamin drops that contain vitamins A,C and D if your breasfeeding apparently formula fed babies already have the vitamins in the milk. Didn't know that and thought it may be useful to some of you.

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/HavingABaby/AfterTheBirth/DG_078330

I knew that, have the drops and never remember to give them to her! :blush:

I asked the Health visitor when Ben turned 6 months as I had heard this advice as well and she said as long as Ben is having a balanced diet he does not require additional vitamins. Therefore have not given him vitamins.

I asked Patrick's pead if he needed vitamin supplements and she said they were not necessary (i don't live in the UK and my pead is US trained).

I asked about this and as long as they are having a balanced diet they should require no additional vitamins, Breastfeeding and Formula feeding contains everything they need and to be honest i would be more worried about people overdosing, to many vitamins can be a bad thing too.

Thank god for that, phew!!

Lucy was ill at 6wk's so ever since I've her on Abidec, she's not so much as had a sniffle since, could be coincidense but I put it down to her vitamin's as she got the chicken pox at Christmas and was still all smiles not even a high temperature :) So yeahhhhh for Abidec :)

I've heard about using vitamins but never used them. Having a baby would cost you a fortune if you used everything they recommended!

We've bee on Abidec and Iron almost since she was born.

Been on Vit D pretty much since birth, on recommendation of ped. (as breastmilk doesn't contain a sufficient amount, and sunlight exposure is typically not enough for babies, especially in winter). He is under 6 mths - so haven't worried about anything else yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->