Did your parents used to play with you much?

I don't recall much - my dad more than my mum I think, but both my parents worked full time (early 80s - was fairly unusual for women to work!) so they weren't around much. My grandma used to look after us lots, and I can remember her playing with us.

I can't remember them playing with toys with me but we played card games and board games a lot as a family and that was lots of fun.

I remember my mum teaching me and my brothers and sisters dance moves to songs and making things with us like paper mache. Everytime she had a baby ( she has 6 kids ) me and my sister who is a year younger than me would do her exercises with her in the living room too.

My mum and dad always did things with us at the weekends as my dad would be working all week. We would play all kinds of ball games outside, inside we would play board games or games like the yes or no game, girl/boy, I spy or charades. My dad would also put the music on really loud and we would all dance around or we would watch musicals and all jump up to dance when the songs came on (including my mum and dad, lol.)

Also occasionaly through the week he would come into our bedroom and wake us up in the night to go downstairs if he had got a new film on video that day, then we would all watch a film and my mum would make us tea and toast to watch it with, that was like a real treat as we used to all be in bed by 7pm usually. xxx

Not really no as they were always busy at work or doing house chores, I had a lot of time therefore to use my imagination, like every kid I swear my dolls and teddies were real and I would talk to them and treat them as my friends, I dont think many parents truly have enough hours in the days to dedicate to their kids, I think we would spend more time together on family holidays playing crazy golf, pool etc, and maybe weekends at the park on swings. The same goes for me and my little toddler so not much has changed really :)

My dad - never. He worked, come home, ate dinner and then usually fell asleep in his chair (although having said that he would get up between 5 and 6 to go to worked and worked until 6pm so you can't blame him for being tired lol). The one thing he did do was read to us though - as we were growing up in an evening before bed he would read a chapter of a book - the favourite was the Narnia books.

My mum - i don't remember playing with toys with her but i did do stuff like cooking with her. I played with my toys with my sister.

I can't remember ever playing with my parents and i'm only 23 lol.. I'm sure they did when we we're little. I can remember loads from my grandmas tho, me and my sister used to stop there every fri night and i remember everything from playing, baking, baths and stories lol. x

Now and then they did, not with dolls but Lego and board games etc. My two sisters and I are close in age though so we played together.
We're all very close with my Mum :)

I only saw my dad on the odd weekend (He buggered off when i was only 6 months old). I remember playing a few board games whilst at his house, or going for walks. Mum used to sit and do some arty stuff with me, but i think thats it. I'd play with my sisters though.

No not really.

I always remember my dad playing with my brother tho, Lego and cars etc and when I wanted to play my brother was always horrid to me.

My mum was always busy with housework :(

Also, when Id made something I was proud of, I'd get a half arse 'well done' from my dad without him even looking up from his paper :(

They are the same with Evie. Will invite me round but still do their own thing and I'm the one playing with her :dohh:

Recently Evie was asking to put stickers in her book and I said for her to ask my dad as I was carrying 2 cups of tea in and my dad huffed and reluctantly placed with her!!!

We left after the tea!

Thanks. I was just interested to see what relationship you have with your parents now if they did or didn't play with you much. I'm obviously trying my best to play with Isla as much as I can. I guess I will never know whether the amount of time my parents devoted to playtime with me had an effect on how close I am to them now. I guess a lot more factors come in, such as how available you make yourself to your kids if they need someone to talk to etc. over the years. I just want to do everything to make sure me and my girl have a good relationship as she grows up & thinking about my childhood just brought this to my attention. I just remember my dad reading books by himself and my mum doing lots of housework and cooking. It just made me a bit sad because I love playing with Isla and we have such a giggle.

No, I don't think they ever did really play with us.

I'm one of five and think that we would have been taught a game and then left to play together.

I know that they never went to any of my sisters hockey games or dancing for my sisters either.

I do in a little way has changed the relationship, in that I think we would have been a much closer family, had we supported one another or had that little bit of attention.

My mum cooked with us and made things with us, but not all the time.

I never really thought about it until now that I have my own child. It just strikes me as odd that a parent would not WANT to play with their children. It's one thing working, but my mum didn't work when we were younger, yet she never played with us, and not for lack of time. :(

I think about this all the time. Our parents never really played with us. My mum's idea of a family day out was dragging us through MFI & M&S. We went to parks sometimes but never did they sit down and do anything with us. It does make me really sad as I do play all the time with my son and constantly plan fun things to do with him. I guess it was just a sign of the times though :/ It does affect my relationship with my mum a little bit. Last weekend she accused me of doing too much with my kids, which I found so strange :/

Not really.

My sister is 5 years older than me so she was always able to keep me 'entertained'.
I think they probably played with her when she was little.

I think about this all the time. Our parents never really played with us. My mum's idea of a family day out was dragging us through MFI & M&S. We went to parks sometimes but never did they sit down and do anything with us. It does make me really sad as I do play all the time with my son and constantly plan fun things to do with him. I guess it was just a sign of the times though :/ It does affect my relationship with my mum a little bit. Last weekend she accused me of doing too much with my kids, which I found so strange :/

It is sad really isn't it? wow, accusing you of doing too much with your kids? :wacko:

My dad was always at work or the pub, mum too busy, I don't think they did at all. They're both very strange individuals, although my dad died a few yrs ago. My mums the least maternal woman you could ever meet, goodnes knows why she had 5 kids. No hugs and kisses from either of them, my poor kids have been smothered!

My mum hardly ever but my dad always did!
I'm very close to my dad I used to be close ish to my mum before she became an alcoholic

Nope, we had a nanny for as long as I can remember.

my parents have always worked full time, weekends were more about outings and going places than playing with toys iykwim? we used to go to all these different places, which were usually educational. i cant remember if they "played" with us, but seeing how they are with poppy (esp my dad) makes me think yes! my dads always flinging himself down on the floor to pretend to be a car haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->