Did your parents used to play with you much?

I don't really remember my mum or dad playing with me, but I had twin brothers and both parents worked so maybe that's why.

However, saying that my mum always made sure there was stuff for us to do and play with and we did a lot of cooking and making up plays which my parents would watch etc.

We did play board games a lot from what I remember, and me and my mum used to put music on and dance around the house together but that was when I was a little older obviously :blush:

Although they didn't always play WITH us, they were always there if we wanted to show them stuff etc and were really cuddly.

I think that's all really helped with our relationship now as I'm really close to my parents, especially my mum as I still speak with her on the phone most days and love it when we get to spend time together! :flower:

Yes they both did. Mum was a SAHM until I was 12 and we played together a lot. My Dad worked long hours but he played with me lots. I was very close to both my parents. Mum died almost 7 years ago now but Dad and I are still very close and he spends a lot of time playing with Em too.

No. I was left to it. My sister is 15 years older than me so I felt like a lonely only child. My mum only has use of the left side of her body but she is very mobile. Now thinking about it I feel quite cheated :(

My in laws are so good with my toddler. Especially father in law which surprised me but then again, from stories my OH told me, I shouldn't have been surprised. They play, roll about and are very hands on and I love it! My mum doesn't do playing at all and my dad was more interested in playing poker on his laptop than playing with my LO on his visits home. Am more sad for them as they miss out on so much :/

My parents didn't, felt children should be seen and not heard. I'm only 23 btw so it wasn't like back in the day when ppl actually believed that stuff. My parents had to much going on in their lives to be bothered with 3 kids. I don't talk to either of them and consider other family members my "true" parents.

Nooo idea, my memory is shocking so can't remember much of my childhood :dohh:
x

Yes my mum literally used to get on her hands and knees and play with me, but most of what I remember is artsy stuff, donkey rides (on her hands and knees when I was very young) and singing together to Queen. My dad was more reserved and was always more the jokey type.

Yes both of them :) whether it be art and craft or summer fun(as in father throwing us in the pool with clothes on. or rough play. :)

I was raised by a single mum. She did an amazing job and she still loves and spoils me. But as a diplomat, she worked long hours and I was often left to nannies. Great nannies, mind you, but nannies. And daycares because of my epilepsy. But in the weekend, she did all I asked, and a lot of it was roleplay which I always knew she hated :happydance: I used to play the hero of some cartoon like Maya the Bee, and she'd end up getting assigned the lame character, and have to buzz and bark and stuf, and boy did she hate it :D
So my mom did more buying than playing with me, but whatever she didn't do, it's okay, because she's still the best mom I could wish for. I never resented her for coming home only around 5 or 6 pm; I'd usually run right up and brag to her about my newest drawings or other artistic catastrophy. I was always great at busying myself.

I plan to play more with my children, but if that doesn't work out too well, I'll still make sure they know they're loved.

I remember my great nan playing barbies with me. But no, not my mum or dad or step mum or step dad.
I hope my children remember me playing with them....:)

I went to a nostalgic toy store today. All those wooden toys (almost bought a doll buggy for my Persian kitten); little teapot-shaped dollhouses, and of course, the wonderful Sylvanian Families. I know what my kid and I would be playing with. If I get a girl, she'll never get tart-dolls or anorexia-dolls unless for "that is what nobody intelligent wants to be"-education. She'll get fuzzy animals with bathrooms and pianos and miniature cup boards. Likewise, I wouldn't be buying war toys for a boy. While I'd proudly raise soldiers - Israel exists thanks to them - I don't think children should be taught it's "fun" to point guns at each-other.

Oh the toys I'll be buying. With a kid, I'll finally have an excuse to have Sylvanian Families all over the place :D Too bad Polly Pocket isn't really pocket anymore, like in the 90s...

..sorry, did my nostalgia hijack the thread?

No not really. I had a younger brother that I played with all the time and we got along really well. My mom occasionally tried to do some things with us like play a board game or whatever. My dad, um, maybe once or something in my life did he "play" with us.

I'm grateful that I had the kind of dad who would play with me. But you know the funny thing is that I don't really remember much before 5 years anyway.
But I guess playing with me before 5 helps cement the bond.
But my folks and I aren't that close today. This more has to do with boundaries, etc.

I have 2 older sisters and 2 older brothers and my little sister arrived when I was 7 so we were always kinda left to entertain ourselves and each other. I only remember playing cards as a family on a Saturday night by the fire. My dad would never be the type to play and he was kind of someone to be feared when we were growing up. We are just about civil to each other now and I admit I'd prob visit my mam more if he wasn't there.
My mam had it tough, she was a young mum and my parents don't have the greatest marriage. I remember time spent with her when I was younger was watching her bake or do housework singing old country music with her. I'm fairly close to my mum talk to her at least once a week. My family aren't really the touchy feely, hugging kind and never really talk about feelings haha :)

I want things to be different when I have a LO, I want them to have all the things I didn't have and the things I did :)

My Dad and I always used to play. He'd play educational games with me. Take me down the beach and play footy. Ooooo and we'd play scrabble alot along with loadsa other board games.

My Gran (seen as my mother was absent) used to play for hours with me in the back garden. And she'd do colouring in books with me.

I did play a lot with them but I was raised as an only child so had no one else to play with really. We're all very close now :)

I only had my mum and she has problems mentally and never showed any affection. So iv decided long ago that my kids will look back and remember mummy and daddy playing and laughing with them. Most days Im in the living room with Leo and making myself look a right fool but he loves it :thumbup: we went to Halfords today and Leo was in his carrier and I was swaying side to side and making noises to him, bet people were thinking " what is wrong with her??" :haha: but I dont care as Long as my Leo is happy :thumbup:

My mum didn't but it wasn't her fault. She was a SAHM until I was about 8, but she had mental health issues and although she was nice to us and gave us lunch etc she would spend the most part of her day lying on the sofa sleeping, we weren't allowed to run in the house incase she woke up and we couldn't play downstairs either. I love my dad so much! He worked 7-5 every week day, had an hour long commute home by crazy london rushhour transport, came in, made me and my sister dinner, played with us, did the washing up, did the ironing, did the clothes washing, tidied up etc. He did 90% of everything around our house including playing/bathing/putting to bed me and my sister. It wasn't my mums fault and I'd NEVER blame her for me feeling a bit neglected/un-loved by her at times because now I understand and realise what it is like to be an adult, plus her mental health illnesses made things so much worse for her to do day to day stuff. Were just lucky to have our dad otherwise life would have been so different for us!

I am close with both my parents, I go to my mum more for advice etc and I go to my dad more for a laugh. I hope that Lyla will appriciate what I do for her :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->