Didn't get my homebirth last time, how can i make sure this time?

Rebecca_B

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I wanted to ask your opinion on what i went through last labour (8 months ago) and my labour this time see what you advise....

I requested a homebirth last yr with charlie. We were all set to go and i went into labour on Fathers day and rang labour ward to let them know contraction times and told them it was a home birth.

They said they would ring the homebirth team and let them know and they would ring me back.

They rang to say they were attending another labour and would release one of the midwifes to come to me as soon as her baby was born.

I progressed quickly and my contractions were back to back within the hour and i knew i was close to 10 cms.

Labour ward was rang and said to mum that home birth team hadn't delivered baby so i would have to transfer.

I went to hospital and on examination was 9 cms.

Had baby on all fours 20 mins later. Was home once all paperwork was done (3 hrs later)

I so want this baby at home this time, it would have been the perfect homebirth but how can i be sure i will have a midwife to see to me??????????????

Seems like there were no complications so if I were you, I wouldn't have transferred in the first place! Refuse to move, you can sue them if they don't attend your birth :thumbup:

Really?

The labour ward said to my mum there was no midwifes to attend my labour (you need 2 apparently) and said i would HAVE to transfer....

So if i say this time that i'm not travelling they have to send 2 midwifes?

Yeah, if they don't send anybody you can sue them. It's their duty to provide care by law and if they don't do it, you can sue. It's not your fault they're understaffed, you shouldn't have to change your ideal plan because another woman's baby isn't coming out fast enough! :hugs:

i would be worried about delivering without a midwife though........ so would hubby and mum...

They're not going to risk getting sued, I'd bet every time they'd send somebody. You could always write to your head of midwifery about your concerns and ask her to confirm in writing that there will be somebody to attend your birth?

OOOOoo thats a good idea........

I'll chat to my midwife when i see her in a couple of wks, she was brilliant through my pregnancy and it was such a shame she wasn't on call when i went into labour.

She can tell me who to write to...

Thank u xxxxxx

Hi honey good to see you back!

Basically you just have to stick to your guns. They are legally obliged to attend so if you ring in good time and then stick to your guns they will send someone before you have to think about baby being born unassisted.

I've taken this from https://www.homebirth.org.uk/

What about staffing shortages?

Women planning a home birth are sometimes told that the local health authority may not be able to provide a midwife on the day, because of staffing problems. If you hold out for a home birth in these circumstances, you may feel guilty that you would be taking midwives away from other women who need them on the labour ward. This is an understandable concern, but it is important to remember that staffing levels are the health authority's responsibility, not yours. You may sympathise with their problems, but remember that “where there's a will, there's a way”. Trusts which are fully supportive of home birth find a way around this problem; so can yours.

While sympathising with the health authority's staffing problems, you can ask what they are doing to resolve their staffing problems. Advertising vacancies is insufficient - perhaps providing their midwives with more autonomy and job satisfaction, for example with the opportunity to attend births at home, would improve their retention of midwives.

If women are persuaded to abandon their home birth plans on the grounds of staff shortages, the health authority will have no incentive to improve its services for other women - so by holding out for a home birth you are helping to improve choice in your area, and helping to make midwives' jobs more interesting - and you are also saving money for the NHS (see below).

Every health authority has access to what are called 'bank midwives', and most use them regularly when they have staffing problems in the hospital. These are midwives who work on a temporary basis, sometimes for just one shift at a time (a bit like supply teachers). Some will be midwives who are employed by the same health authority, who are taking on extra work - doing overtime - and others will be midwives who want to work part-time but who have not obtained a permanent part-time job, or midwives who are currently taking a career break to look after their own children, but will work occasional shifts, or semi-retired midwives. All 'bank midwives' are all fully-qualified midwives. If there was a genuine shortage of midwives on the labour ward then the health authority should always be able to arrange cover on the ward from a bank midwife, thus freeing up a community midwife to attend home births.

In some areas, independent midwives work as 'bank midwives' when they are not needed by their own clients. On occasion, independent midwives have attended home births on behalf of health authorities who could not arrange cover from their own employees. Sometimes such arrangements are made in advance - when people talk of arranging an 'extra-contractual referral' to an independent midwife, they mean that an independent midwife would be booked to attend you, but would be paid directly by the health authority.

See 'Home Birth Bullying' from AIMS for suggestions on dealing with this situation, and also 'Home Birth Alert' for a sample letter to send to your health authority. If you still have difficulty in arranging your home birth, please contact Beverley Beech of AIMS - she is very experienced in supporting women in this situation, and would far rather that people contacted her, than fought on alone.

What if you phone when you are in labour, and are told no midwives are available?

Many homebirth advocates feel that it is still important to stand your ground in this situation. If the labour ward is really this busy, is it a safe place for you to labour? You do not need to feel guilty about making the labour ward manager's job harder; while she may have a tough job, you are having a baby. She has ward crises every week and, by next week, will have forgotten that you ever existed. You, on the other hand, will remember this baby's birth for the rest of your life.

To the best of my knowledge, and from discussions on the Homebirth UK email group, in every case where a mother has insisted that she is staying at home and that she expects a midwife to be sent, a midwife has indeed been sent out. It is important to make clear that you will not accept a paramedic, nor will you accept transfer to hospital in an ambulance if one is sent out.

Here is some advice from Shawn Walker of the Norwich Home Birth group:

Over the past three years, we have seen this a lot among our group in Norwich / Norfolk. Here's what we recommend if it may happen to you:

Have someone with you who is not your partner or mother or other close, emotionally involved person. This person should have ideally had a successful homebirth herself and at a minimum be entirely supportive of your plans to do so, comfortable advocating for you in a situation where you are being told that there will be no midwife sent, and able to be calm in such a situation.
Prepare your supporter by practicing the 'broken record' technique with her. No matter what they say, your supporter should keep replying that you are going to give birth at home and are expecting a midwife to be sent. When they say they definitely won't send one, she should keep playing the record -- 'Clare is going to give birth at home and we look forward to seeing a midwife.' Needless to say, you should not be involved in this exchange -- you have enough to do! And we recommend that someone other than your partner be the spokesperson, so that your partner can concentrate on you. At no time should your advocate say, 'Okay' or 'I understand' or try to reason with the person on the phone. Just keep playing the record.
Don't think of it as preparing yourself for a fight; think of it as preparing not to fight by being clear about your position and having support to keep strong in that position.
My doula colleague and I have been successful with this technique many times, even when they are absolutely insisting they will not send someone. The only time it wasn't successful was when a close family member did the advocating -- and that person was very concerned about there not being a midwife. None of the couples who chose not to have another supporter with them chose to stay at home when told they had to come to hospital. When you think about it, that's a lot of pressure for a dad-to-be to be under in such a situation.

I'm in a similar situation Rebecca_B- I've bene told that if another woman has rang up saying she's in labour before me, then I will have to go to hospital.

Has anyone got a draft letter that they have sent to the head of midwifery (or similar? I know there's a brief one on the homebirth.org website, but thought it was a little 'strong' - but maybe that's what's needed! My mw is lovely and supportive so I don't want to get her back up by sending letters to her boss!

You could use the same letter only change it to what you feel is appropriate. I think the thing is it needs to be strongly worded to be taken seriously. There is a set script for on the phone on the homebirth.org website - I think if you dont want to ruffle feathers maybe it would be an idea not to write but to have that ready for your OH to read over the phone. That way neither may be needed and no 'harm' done.

I've got one coming soon which I've been spending quite a bit of time on. It will be after the weekend though. I'll subscribe to this thread so it doesn't get lost and make sure I give you a copy.

Can't say that it is going to be any less strong than the AIMS one?! ;-)

But should help you put something together. Essentailly you need to write to make an offical complaint, so that compliant can be addressed.
I have already written to my head of midwfiery, CEO of the hosptial and MP. I am writting to the CEO of the PCT, and as I'm in Dorset, Dorset's NHS CEO.

I'll be back! ;-)
XxX

who was your MW before Rebecca? (I'm in Coventry too) I was told when booking my homebirth that there are only 2 midwives at a time for them so if someone else is booked in for one and they go into labour first they can't send anyone else. You have to remember UHCW maternity cover Coventry, Nuneaton, Bedworth, Rugby and lots of surrounding villages so I think this is pretty fair. They also have a very busy SCBU and NCIU.
The only sure fire way I can think that you would get your homebirth is if you booked an idependent MW

...They also have a very busy SCBU and NCIU....

Busy SCBU/NICU has nothing to do with home births, midwife staffing-wise. People erroneously think that the midwives that work on the antenatal, labour and postnatal wards also staff the neonatal unit. This is not the case. In fact, the majority of professionals working on a SCBU/NICU are nurses (some have a history as midwives but have likely done their nursing conversion). :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->