Diet = low fat for me and high fat for lo grrr

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by LPF, Jun 8, 2011.

1. LPF

LPF Well-Known Member

Just doing my shopping and realising that weaning can be a bit wasteful!!

Lo has cream cheese, natural yoghurt, milk etc etc but they are all full fat so oh and I wouldn't eat them as we're watching calories at the moment and I can't stand full fat milk etc.

But Lo can't eat all of even the smallest tub/carton before they go off so it ends up being really wasteful. Same with fruit/bread - lo may eat 1/2 finger but then the rest goes to waste unless I eat it with him, but I don't want to get in the habit of finishing all his leftovers just for the sake of it!!

2. snowy-willow

snowy-willow Mummy to Ella

for bread you could freeze slices/part slices. As for yogurt I am sure you can get some normal yogurt sized pots - saying that though a quick google shows you can freeze natural yogurt.

3. LPF

LPF Well-Known Member

Ah! That's interesting! Didn't realise you could freeze natural yog!

4. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

Maybe get small pots of kids yoghurt such as rachels organic, Yeo valley, which have no added sugar and a decent lifespan in the fridge. The natural yoghurt I buy clearly says 'do not freeze' on the label.

Definitely freeze bread, you can also use frozen fruit, or tinned fruit in juice.

I have never cooked with full fat milk, I've always put semi skimmed milk in sauces etc, I don't want to be the size of a house, and my LO has never been small anyway. I used so little milk on her cereal I used semi for that too, I only started putting full fat milk on her cereal when she started drinking it at a year old. Even one pint would go off way before it was used. I didn't want to put formula on her cereal as it makes it taste so sweet.

5. OmarsMum

OmarsMum Well-Known Member

I also use semi-skimmed milk in food as he eats from what we eat. As for yoghurt, we have small pots of plain natural yoghurt (200 grms) & each pot lasts for 8 days. I also freeze fruits & bread xx

6. Vinushka

Vinushka Well-Known Member

I always found when I'm trying to lose weight that it works better to cut carbs and sugars and keep whole fat stuff, dunno if it would work for everyone though. I have problems with digesting most sugars though.

7. Wants2bmummy

Wants2bmummy Mummy to ds and 2 angels

I feel exactly the same. I'm doing weight watchers so me and lo having the same isn't really an option when it comes to dairy products. On lo's breakfast, I use a little bit of formula instead of cows milk because he literally had a splash (usually with porridge and fruit). I buy the little plum yogurts but it's the full fat cream cheese and butter that calls to me from the fridge!