Dieting during 1st tri

Bumpontherun

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Got my bfp on Friday. Period not due until tomorrow so super early. I've had 3 losses between 6-7 wks this year so not massively confident that this one will end any differently.

Anyway i started weight watchers about six weeks ago. Comfort eating after my losses combined with the holidays had me heavier than I've ever been before. I've lost 10 lbs and feeling much better about myself. I need to lose another 10lbs to get me to a healthy weight. I'm seriously considering continuing to follow WW until I hit the healthy weight range. I know you aren't strictly supposed to but a lot of things I've read suggest you don't need extra calories in 1st Tri and surely the risks of being overweight and pregnant are worse than undereating for the first few weeks. At my current rate I will hit my target by 10wks then would switch to maintenance.

I was wondering if anyone else was actively trying to lose weight and what your approach is going to be?

Don't !!!! The aim is to gain weight . Please be kind to yourself your body needs much more now ..

Honestly with something like this I would recommend talking to a doctor or midwife. I think as long as you are eating healthy it shouldn't matter if you lose some weight.

I think eating well is great but it's probably not the time to heavily restrict calories...

Eat well but not restrict. I don't know weight watchers in detail but I'm sure they don't reccomend to follow in pregnancy. Slimming world you can however so you can still try to lose some weight if you really wanted.

I would eat what you want to eat. If you are used to eating a particular way and that continues to feel right, I would carry on. If you are actively having to restrict yourself and not eat when you are hungry or force yourself to eat things you don't want, or you feel unwell, tired, lightheaded, then no, I wouldn't. I would just listen to your body and carry on eating healthy. Realistically, you probably don't need three pieces of cake, so even if you want them, if you can avoid eating them, you'll probably feel better in the long run. But if your body tells you that you need healthy snacks between meals when you wouldn't otherwise have them, I wouldn't restrict yourself, if that makes sense.

Yes that makes sense thanks. I can have as much fruit and veg as I want and I'm never hungry on this plan. Obviously it may become more difficult if/when morning sickness kicks in but based on my previous pregnancies i still have a couple of weeks before I start to feel symptoms so I will make the most of feeling completely well at the moment.

I was on weight watchers too and wondered the same thing. I've decided to stop tracking, but continuing to eat 'no count' style and trying to eat the right things, but not limiting myself or letting myself go hungry. So nice healthy food and no junk :)

Hiya, congrats on your BFP!!

I am a SW member. I actually rejoined in a bid to be healthier to get my BFP after trying for months.

I thought I needed to be at least a stone lighter as when I conceived DD2 and DD3 I had got to a certain weight each time but this time I seem to have struck lucky earlier.

SW is approved by the Royal College of Midwives but you need your own Midwife to sign off that you are okay to lose (I am genuinely about 4 stone overweight still so I will be okay to continue to lose I suspect).

SW have additional considerations like ensuring you don't lose too fast and encouraging you to not skimp on things.

WW must be similar as it is a plan for life and not a diet? Check with your MW to be sure.

Good luck xx

I actively tried to lose weight in the first and second tri, then to maintain in the third tri with Emma. This was highly encouraged by my midwife, and the medical team I was under at the hospital.

I ended up with GD so was glad I was used to eating well from the start - I can't imagine going from pigging out to having to change everything overnight!

Emma was 7lbs 8oz at 38+6. She did have breathing troubles, but that was to do with GD and having a c-section (had wet lungs). She was, and still is fine. Nor sure if it is because I ate so well, but she's my most in proportion baby even now.

Your body will take from you, to give to the baby.

I don't see how a slight calorie restriction can harm a baby, when you can have sever hyperemesis (excuse spelling) throughout pregnancy and have a healthy baby.

Thanks guys. I don't have a midwife yet - because of my previous early losses I won't even contact the service until I'm 7-8 weeks - I can't bear the thought of phoning up to cancel my booking appt because I've had another loss. I don't think they will see me before booking at 10wks or so by which time I may be a goal!

I have tried slimming world before and didn't really lose on it because I ate far too much pasta! But I may try and adopt the SW way of eating when I'm further on.

Thanks again x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->