Dilemma telling your employer during pregnancy

Mutsa

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am currently 9 weeks and started my job 3 months ago. I am in probation for 6 months. The business is a start up and my instincts tell me it's not going to go down well. Is there anyone that has announced their pregnancy during probation and successfully maintained their Job? Would you tell your employer or wait till after you have completed your probation? I am scared I am already showing and the consequences. I need my job!

They cannot fire you for being pregnant! I'd tell them especially if the job involves heavy lifting of anything of that nature

I don't have any particular advice or experience, but it would be illegal for them to terminate you due to your pregnancy. That doesn't mean that they won't *try*, but it does mean that they need to have documented that they weren't happy with your performance (warnings, attendance issues, etc...) beforehand. If I were in your position, before announcing I would *request* a performance review...that way, if you're doing a good job, you'll have documentation of that prior to announcing.

Here are some links I found on the topic:

https://www.employmentandlaborinsider.com/discrimination/are-you-expecting-too-much/

https://www.inc.com/articles/2000/11/20835.html

I'm not sure where you are from, but where I live you can be terminated during your probationary period without reason. They don't have to tell you why or have any documented "proof" that you weren't doing your job well, they can just say goodbye. They cannot terminate you because of your pregnancy, but since they don't have to give a reason at all, it would be pretty easy for them to get rid of you and just not tell you it's because you are pregnant.

I agree to request a performance review as well as record the conversation you have with your employer.

Thanks for the input girls. I am in the Uk and the business is a start up so not much work completed to request a performance review I had a 1 to 1 two weeks and my manager said he was happy with my performance and the amount of input.
It's making me sick thinking about my predicament. To make it worse they paid my uni fees a few weeks into the job xx

Check your contract, you may be required to repay course or tuition fees if you leave/are terminated. We are contracted in for two years.

Pregnancy is a protected characteristic under UK employment law but above poster was right, its actually very easy to terminate an employee within two years for many reasons.

If I was your employer is rather you be up front with me, tell me why you want to keep your job going forward, how you can hand over work easily and prove you are committed to the role. If you are a hard worker and conscientious then hopefully they will keep you on!

They have invested in you so they must see your potentialife. Personally I would tell them I think it's the professional thing to do. I've worked in offices where people have told and others kept it quiet guess who was promoted first .

Hey, agreed they absolutely cannot fire you for being pregnant. They can keep a hovering eye on your performance, so just don't give them any reason to complain. Also, I think it is pretty socially acceptable to let them know around 12-16weeks, but you want to give them heads up. You don't want to come off as trying to deceived them or leave them with not enough time to make arrangements for your maternity leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->