Diminishing breastmilk supply?

Elisianna

Reaction score
How can I tell if my supply is diminishing if I am just breastfeeding, without pumping or anything like that?

My husband has been complaining about the weight he put on during my pregnancy (unlike me he didn't lose it in two weeks). So I decided to out us on a diet. We are doing a "slow carb" diet and essentially eating lots of meat, veggies, and beans. I wanted to do this diet so I could still eat a lot but my husband could lose weight.

Well I have lost 6 pounds over the last week (and I started at 131 pounds. I am 5'5" so I was by no means big). I am often so hungry and I try to eat whenever I am hungry but I still wake up so week I can hardly prepare breakfast for myself.

My daughter's main source of nutrition is still breastmilk and I absolutely love breastfeeding (and so does she!). I am so scared my supply is reducing! (I am not trying to reduce calories but the foods I eat fill me up sooo quickly that it is hard to eat as much... And then I end up starving afterward)

If you are eating low carb (no grains) you need to eat high fat. I went on the primal diet for a while (and it worked great, expensive though). Your body needs to get energy from somewhere.

I used my fitness pal to track my calories and make sure I got 1650-1800 calories per day. Just eating meat and veg it would be very hard to get that many without adding fat of some kind. I just ate a lot of grassfed butter on my veg, easy enough. The pounds just fell off too.

Yah, I did primal for a while too but you are right it is soooo pricey. That is why we are doing slow carbs, so we added in the beans which makes it cheaper.

Good idea about the high fats though. I can't believe I forgot about that. It would really be a super easy way to add in more calories...

I use My Fitness Pal as well but I eat 2,000 calories per day or my supply drops (that includes my exercise so if I don't exercise I eat 100-200 less). I have low milk supply anyway so I have to be very careful.

Also, look into carbs and breastfeeding. There are studies out there and breastfeeding women should eat 150-200 in carbs. Read this.

You also shouldn't drop weight too quickly as that releases toxins that go into breast milk (read that on KellyMom).

If you are a healthy weight maybe you shouldn't diet but work on toning instead? Your husband can still diet, and the two of you can work out together. :thumbup:

Its easy to get ~150 grams of carbs eating primal. Just get your carbs from veg, fruit, and some dairy.

Yah I definitely get enough carbs :)

I knew about the toxins released if one lost weight too quickly, but forgot about that! I think the initial weight loss was mostly water though, so I don't think that counts?

I don't really want to be on a different eating plan from my husband cause that would be so much trouble. But today I just ate a bunch of extra food.

Is there not a way to tell if your supply has diminished??

With an older baby, it doesn't matter if your supply has diminished as long as baby is getting enough and it's still her main source of nutrition. To tell if she is not getting enough you would look for signs of dehydration like fewer wet diapers, sunken fontanelle, etc. Also maybe different behavior, especially unusual fussiness at the breast or biting, although as you know by now it can be really hard to tell what those things mean.

Thank you!!

She doesn't seem to be showing any signs of dehydration. I think I was just paranoid from the super fast water weight loss I had. She seems to be doing fine and is as happy as ever (she has pooped every day and even four times yesterday).

I just upped my calories and will be decreasing them slowly, rather than suddenly, so my body gets used to taking in fewer and fewer calories more gradually. (I read that diets really affect supply if there is a sudden drop, rather than a more gradual one)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->