Disappearing positive?

BabyDreamer82

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Hi girls, so Im pretty sure Im 13dpo, AF should be here tomorrow. I just tested using a normal first response (we dont have the early ones in NZ) anyway I got a line after 3 mins but it started disappearing after about 8 mins :nope:
Does anyone know why this would happen?
Ive read it probably means BFN :shrug:

I have heard that a disappearing positive is a negative and I have heard that the old FR tests were bad for this..... I know this isn't what you want to hear... it's not what I want to say but I will say that you still have time and the :witch: hasn't showed so you could still get your positive and who knows maybe this was catching something...... I hope you get your staying :bfp: test again.... maybe use a different brand

Just found this for you.... here is a review
Answer Early & First Response Early Result: issues with disappearing "positive" lines ongoing issue; latest report in October 2006

Please note: both tests have recently been redesigned. The reports all pertain to the old test design.

Many women have contacted me regarding these brands of tests (interestingly, both tests are manufactured by the same company.) These women have noted that shortly after applying urine to the tests, a pink result line appears in addition to a pink control line (a "positive" result.) However, anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours later, the pink result line disappears completely, appearing to be a negative test.

Both the First Response Early Result and Answer Quick & Simple Early Result leaflet state, "A positive result will last for at least 48 hours."

Some of the women informed me that they called the manufacturers' 800#s and were told that sometimes, in very early pregnancy, there is not "enough hCG to make the line stick." Other women who also called the 800#s were told by other representatives that a disappearing line should be regarded as a negative test altogether. Others were told the test was positive, even if the line disappears. So, there seems to be quite a bit of confusion involved among the company representatives.

For awhile, I was compiling the results of women who reported this to me. Of the first 67 individual women who experienced "disappearing positives," 2 experienced results that indicated probable miscarriage (additional positive tests, but later experienced bleeding.) 7 women confirmed pregnancy, 31 confirmed they were not pregnant, and 26 women failed to update me. Now I am receiving so many reports of this (with the vast majority of women not pregnant) I am no longer compiling exact numbers.

In light of this information, and the statement that "A positive result will last for at least 48 hours," I suggest that all "disappearing positives" should be treated as negative tests. It is common for women to see false negative pregnancy tests (usually testing before there is sufficient hormone in the urine to be detected) so even those women who did turn out to be pregnant experienced results that should be considered negative.

Additionally, I was collecting and presenting the lot numbers of these tests, but the issue does not seem to be confined to a specific batch. Many lot numbers were affected, but not every test with a particular lot number had this issue. Therefore, I have removed those lot numbers from this site. It was not providing any helpful information.

I would recommend, at this time, that Answer Early and First Response Early Result brand pregnancy tests be avoided. If the "disappearing line" phenomenon occurred prior to the 10-minute time limit, it would be easy to use the test successfully; it would require merely reading it at the 10-minute mark and disposing of it. However, several of the women who reported this issue to me noted that their line disappeared after this all-important time limit, anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 full hours later. In my opinion, this is unacceptable. A positive result "should" last 48 hours, but it should not require that a woman wait 48 hours to ensure the line is still present and thus truly positive.

Additionally, I am disturbed by the fact that the customer service representatives present different information to different callers. A pregnancy test result is one of the most important and life-changing pieces of information a woman will ever get, and it seems women using Answer Early and First Response Early Result at this time are receiving ambiguous information from the tests and the company representatives who are supposed to help clarify.

If and when this issue is resolved, I will be happy to reevaluate the accuracy and reliability of the AE and FRER tests. As of last status update, I am still receiving e-mail complaints about these tests.

wow lilmackate - thankyou for posting all that - very informative!
Yea I thought that would be the case - dammit! :dohh:
Ive had lines appear after the time limit before but not this - not fair.
I got sooooo excited for a few minutes!!
Hopefully I will get a line that stays in the morning.

grrrr Im so annoyed:growlmad:

I'm sorry hun! But this lady did say some women turned out preggers so don't loose hope! :hugs:

I had exactly the same the other day, heartbreaking isnt it!!please let me know how you get on!! I think mine must of been a dodgy test, was praying that it was cause i was early but i did a clearblue digi and it said not pregnant. and done another test today and i see something but its very faint and probaly a evap!! Good luck! This was my test! so convincing! im glad im a poasa otherwise i wudda binned it and not done anymore tests and would of looked a fool turning up at my scan being "12 weeks" pregnant for there to be nothing there!:haha:

Attachments

• SN154514.jpg
    SN154514.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 141
Well just an update:
I did another test this morning - same brand & got the same result, :dohh: so I went & bought more tests -different brands. I dipped a blue dye in the same wee sample & got nothing - then an hour later a line started to develop. Soooo I tried holding my pee to test again ... but I started spotting:growlmad: that damn cow got me!!
Im so grumpy, I really thought it was my turn. :growlmad:

bumpyboo I hope it is a BFP for you, thats a dark line -does it look a little smudged? Let me know your outcome!:dust:

ahhh sorry that the witch has turned up! No it dried and was a perfect line and then after a while it dissapeared! It may look a bit smudged cause the dye hadnt dried!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->