Disappointed...

Sam292

Reaction score
Well i've been waiting weeks to meet my new midwife (i recently moved). My previous midwife filled out a form and sent it over and told me that someone would be in touch. Well that never happened so I chased it up myself and managed to get an appointment.

Well I turn up today and find out that my new midwife is off sick and will be for 2-3 weeks so I have to have the other one on site for now. She was awful! I explained I have been having really bad dizzy spells like headrush, sometimes even when I am laying down and she didnt have anything to say about that. Then she got me to lay down so she could measure my bump but just before she did that she squeezed my belly really hard - it really hurt me so I cant imagine how it must have felt to poor baby but he obviously didnt like it since he did the most enormous kick and my belly moved a mile! Apparently he is head down! Is it usual for it to be so painful when they check this? Then she measured me but I had to ask her 3 times to put it on the growth chart and tell me the measurements and Im sure by the time she did it she had forgotten and just made it up...

Then finally I tell her I am planning a home birth. She sort of dithers around before saying how unlikely it is that there will be enough staff for that and how I will have to transfer in if there are any problems - well of course I know that but why the need to be so negative?! I came away feeling very disappointed and I am just hoping my actual new midwife will be better but I will be 36 weeks by the time I meet her. Maybe i should start preparing DH to deliver this baby alone....:nope:

If they are going to be rude and manhandle your belly, etc then I would not be thrilled either. You are pretty far along but if you really want a homebirth I would say it's best to decide now if you are willing to go it alone if you don't like the midwife at your 36wk appt. If that is the case you would need to start preparing now and do your research on unassisted homebirth. It is safe to do as long as you know what to do in an emergency situation and how to recognize an emergency situation. You can transfer yourself to a hospital if necessary but most things can be dealt with at home. I hope everything works out for you and you get what you want!!!

Nobody gets to touch you no matter how hard or soft without you feeling comfortable. There really isn't much need to squeeze you so hard that it would hurt and if there was, she should have explained it, beforehand. I can understand why you are feeling negative about it. Nobody likes to feel like their body isn't theirs anymore.

I wouldn't let that mw put you off home birth - IME the mw who 'manhandled me' were not at my home birth...

I had met one of them once and had never laid eyes on the other 2 who showed up at shift change... it sucked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->