discarding milk??

lanaross

Mom to Bella and Greyson
Reaction score
Hi ladies, if your LO didn't finish a bottle of EBM, do you put it back in the fridge or discard after an hour? I've never discarded but we've just started a daycare for a couple hours in the morning and their guidelines say they should be throwing it away if not finished within an hour just like formula (omg seriously? I am going to cry real tears if they don't save it)

EBM is still acceptable for 4 hours at room temperature (66-78°F, 19-26°C)
If it is stored in a ref (<39°F, <4°C) it may still be used for 3- 8 days
If stored in a freezer (-0.4 to -4°F, -18 to -20°C) it is still good for 6 - 12 mos.

Yes I agree with eve89. Thawed milk is good for around an hour at room temperature.

If their policy is on the conservative end, then store your milk in smaller portions, 1-2 ounces maybe, so very little gets wasted?

Once the baby has drank from the bottle - discard within the hour.

For me, if it has been warmed, discard within 1 hour, 2 max.

If he drank it cold, I consider putting it back and trying again in a bit, but only if it wasn't out more than an hour and it went right back in the fridge.

My baby is older, so I don't worry about it as much now. But if you are talking a daycare provider, they have to be conservative and err on the side of caution.

I've always heard to discard after an hour of baby starting to drink.

As a former daycare worker, I am well aware of the 1 hour discard rule, however we were also considerate of it being breastmilk and would actually bend the rule a little and allow an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours MAX.

I strongly suggest making many 1-2oz bottles, especially at first to see what your baby eats at daycare vs. home setting. Expect baby to want to eat more as breastfeeding is also a comfort method, and babies in a new surrounding will often want more than expected ;)

I've also found that it's pretty unusual for a breastfed baby to ever eat more than 5-6oz in one feeding anyways, so I'd make a few 5oz bottles and a few 1-2oz bottles if they seem to want a bit more

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->