Do amber teething necklaces REALLY work?

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
As the title says!

I've always been a bit sceptical about these, but I have heard a few good reports. Somebody has just mentioned them in my post re homeopathic meds so I thought I'd start a new thread re the necklaces, to see what others think.

My biggest concern is that my son will try to eat literally anything within an arm's stretch away, and he LOVES anything bead-like. So how do I know he won't eat his necklace and swallow a bead or two? I know they're usually knotted individually so he can't swallow the whole lot of beads, but even swallowing just one bead could potentially be vvvv dangerous. Any thoughts?

With as small as they are I really don't even think they would be that dangerous as long as he didn't choke, if it went down it would just pass through. Though of course you don't want him doing that lol. Like I said in your other post they have worked great for us! You buy them at a length that they can't pull it up into their mouths, they are pretty short. Also since they are that short they really can't get caught on anything. Hayden is older now but has been wearing his 2yrs and he loves it, if I forget to put it on him he asks for it.

As above really. My personal opinion is that if they can get them in their mouth, the necklace is too long. If they can pull them that far, there's also the possibility of it getting caught on something which increases the risk of it breaking. If you get one that is too long, I used to loop LO's through the top button of her sleep suit to pull it tighter for while I wasn't watching her.

No I don't think they do. I got told by someone who'd know that for them to really work, so much of their oil would be in the baby's blood that it'd poison them. :wacko: My friend's baby almost choked when hers got caught in something which scared me, but it made me think I wouldnt stick a necklace on a baby for another reason so I definately wouldnt stick that on them!

I think they're okay as a comfort thing but nothing more. YMMV.

What the first two ladies said :thumbup:

Having a necklace on them is safe as long as you are sensible about it. Romilly explores everything, and has occasionally touched the necklace, but never pulled it or tried to get it to her mouth. She has worn it since she was around 3 months old, and generally pays no attention to it whatsoever. It's always tucked away under her clothes, so it can't catch on anything. They are not being worn as ornamentation, they need to be next to the skin.

In terms of it working... We've only had one night with her not wearing it. For some reason, my husband decided to take it off for her bath and then forgot to put it back on :dohh:. We had the night from hell, unlike any other we've ever had with her. Don't get me wrong, we've had nights where getting her to settle can be hard, and the odd time when she has woken up in the middle of the night. But this one with no necklace was just... awful. I'm not willing to leave the necklace off again, even to test the theory :rofl:

At the end of the day... so many people feel they work. I don't think babies can passively get the placebo effect from their parents believing in it working :rofl: So there must be something there :) Also, every baby is different, and what works for one may not work for another. Teething is such a horrible process for babies, I'm not going to take away something that is helping my baby just because someone else thinks it's a load of hooey :haha:

I hope they do because after that same thread I just went an ordered one for Izzy :thumbup:

I beleive that yes they do work. Logan has been wearing his for about a month now and has 4 teeth coming through. When we have forgotton to put it on him he screams ad drools everywhere but as soon as its on he stops!

We take it of at night but if its a particually bad night it gets wrapped around his ankle.

He doesnt play with it or show it any sort of interest. I beleive that if they start wearing them early they get used to it and arent bothered by it.

They are designed so they are short enought not to get caught on things and if he does somehow manage to break it and eat a bead im not going to worry. Amber is a completely natural substance and has been used in medicines for a long time. Its not harmful to the body whatsoever otherwise people wouldnt of ground it up and have had it as medicines for hundreds of years.

I was dubious at first as i dont agree with babies wearing jewellary however after doing my research i beleive the benefits outweigh any risks or doubts people may have.

Noah started wearing his at 11 weeks old, he is now at the stage where he grabs at everything and puts it in his mouth but he has never grabbed his necklace. Its also nice and short so that he couldnt pull it up into his mouth anyway even if he tried.

My living room is full of gemstones and crystals as I'm very much into crystal therapy and use different ones for different purposes so I guess I'm biased as I'm into all that anyway!! A chunk of Unakite got me through the majority of my labour!!

We do notice a difference in No when he isnt wearing it and I'm happy for him to continue to wear it :flower:

i think they do. I was wearing my oldest 2 sons ones joined together and had no toothache for months. Then Noah pulled his the other week and it broke so i have put one of mine on him now and i'm in agony :( Ethan has worn one for 2 years, i switched it for another recently but the quality was poor. It had smaller beads so even though it was the same length as his old one he could get it to his mouth easier and bite bits off. He's got his old one back on now which is an Inspired by Finn one. I've got inspired by finn ones on order for me and Noah now too (or at least i think i do, Donna?) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->