Do any of you have kids who take medication?

SarahBear

Reaction score
Since Violet's epilepsy developed, she's been on anti-epileptic medications. The first one was a liquid which is a pain to give because after the liquid gets low, you have to pour it into something else in order to be able to suck it up into the syringe and then the print on the syringe wears off... and it's just annoying. The second medication was a capsule with sprinkles that you empty out into a soft food. We used applesauce. It's annoying to pull the pills apart and empty them and then if you travel, you have to make sure to bring applesauce... it's just annoying... Anyway, we're in the process of weening the liquid med - yay! and she has recently learned to swallow the capsules! Wahoo! Now when she has to take meds, I can ask for actual pills to be prescribed. Why didn't I teach her to swallow pills sooner? We have about a month of capsules left and I'm going to ask for the next re-fill to be tablets. Then when we ween the liquid med and switch to tablets, everything will be so much easier. Instead of having to prep her meds to be taken, I can just grab the pill and some water and be done with it. How is medicine taking for your kid?

This evening was the first time she's taken it with water. The last bunch of days, she has taken the tablets (un-emptied) in applesauce. I had her use this type of cup for taking the pills this evening:
41J4vqdg9SL.jpg

Wow well done Violet for taking the tablets. My 3 year old takes his medicines in a liquid form. He takes them both 3 x a day. (One when sleeping) and I just syringe it into his mouth. One is foul tasting it smells and tastes like rotten eggs and the other one is sweet tasting. We do the foul one first followed by the sweet one. He never complains and often squirts it into his mouth.

Wow that's great she can swallow them. M was on a chewable tablet for a year. , thankfully he loved them

My son has congenital hypothyroidism, so he has been on levoxyl (a pill) since he was a newborn. Originally we crushed it and mixed it with a tiny bit of breastmilk, but after about 8 months we just give him the pill. Most days he just takes it without complaint but some days, like today, I have to bribe him (like this morning with a bite of chocolate after the pill).

I love that cup! My son was on oral antibiotics from 4 weeks to 4 years old, 2 oral reflux medications from 4 weeks to 7 months then liquid bladder relaxer from 3.5 for a couple of months before switching to tablets and now he takes Melatonin in tablet form too. He's a pro by now :haha: but tablets are SO much easier! Liquid is such a pest with replacing syringes etc, I'm so glad I taught him to swallow tablets! He can now do it all himself whereas before I had to pop it in his mouth for him. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->