Do docs hate self diagnosing?

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
I guess this might sound silly. I do worry I'm being a hypochondriac but after DS there has just been so much with me that hasn't been right that I have been looking for something to explain what's wrong............one of my friends posted a thing about Fybromalgia on FB. I had a look and initially though hang on, this sounds like what my mum has (she has severe weird pain/sensation issues). But the more I read the list of Symptoms I was like, I have that and that and that (Id been wondering about the burning hot limbs!). I have severe back pain and after DS started getting headaches and migraines and if I sit in one position for more than a few mins I am stiff and sore like I am 'locked' in that position. My back aches constantly...........now I am off the warfarin though I am now on the ibuprofen which helps a wee bit.

Now, my issue is, do I bother the doctor about this or not? There is no cure, so its not like anything can be done that I am not already doing. That and my doctors always seem to treat me like I am over reacting - even when it came down to my DVT they took a bit of convincing that it was as sore as it was, and with my wound infection and it opening.

Should I go and see about it? Or just try to just ignore it so to speak? I cant afford any alternative therapies or anything, so it is just painkillers :(

It will do no harm mentioning it so it is in your record :)

I would go an get a formal diagnosis. While there is no cure now medicine moves so fast you never know what is in the pipeline and you wouldn't want any delays when something does become available.

My Dad has a disease that has no cure but he was able to take part in a drugs trial and now you would never know he was ever ill.

Fibromyalgia is actually something that does require treatment, although there is no cure, I know a couple of suffers who attend the pain clinic regularly and without their medication wouldn't be able to get through the day. But it is pain that ibuprofen wouldn't touch, so if you are managing on mild painkillers it's unlikely the doc would make a referral anyway. I know one lady who is wheelchair bound with it. However, I would mention it cautiously to the doctor, it is also one of the top conditions people go to the doctor with when there is nothing wrong with them, because the is no specific yes or no test, in order to claim benefits etc. so while I would mention it, I wouldn't go in stating what you think it is, but rather tell the doc your symptoms, like I said though, if it's treatable with mild analgesics they are unlikely to refer you

Fibromyalgia is actually something that does require treatment, although there is no cure, I know a couple of suffers who attend the pain clinic regularly and without their medication wouldn't be able to get through the day. But it is pain that ibuprofen wouldn't touch, so if you are managing on mild painkillers it's unlikely the doc would make a referral anyway. I know one lady who is wheelchair bound with it. However, I would mention it cautiously to the doctor, it is also one of the top conditions people go to the doctor with when there is nothing wrong with them, because the is no specific yes or no test, in order to claim benefits etc. so while I would mention it, I wouldn't go in stating what you think it is, but rather tell the doc your symptoms, like I said though, if it's treatable with mild analgesics they are unlikely to refer you

See thats what I worry about...that they will think I am trying to scam or something. I was fine until about a week after Ewans birth, since then its been back pain so bad I cant sneeze as it jars my whole body and feels like my spine/hips is being snapped. Weird constant tingling in hands and feet and feeling like they are being immersed in scalding water, then they do mental cold. And the weirdest one is my head.....it feels like I have stuffing between my scalp and my skull. I cant explain it any more than that, just like my scalp doesnt belong on my head - and its the same hair up or hair down. :shrug:

I think maybe just telling the doc just that, but without putting a name to it, and return as often as possible to make them listen

If you put your pelvic girdle off-kilter during pregnancy and childbirth, you absolutely could be suffering weird neurological symptoms all the way up to your skull. Definitely go in and report it and ask for physio to help with symptoms. No way should you be tossing back ibuprofen to get through your day. Fibromyalgia is only one possibility. Go get checked out and don't let anyone make you feel badly for doing so. How often do we hear about people who ignore symptoms and wind up with something awful and avoidable? If you are needing to medicate yourself for pain, you need to seek medical help. No apologies needed on your part!
Hope you get some answers and some relief soon! :hugs:

My Mum has this and there's no cure :( but she's on medication. I would defo go and see someone to get a proper diagnosis xx

Eta - Just read some of the symptoms and my mum has similar problems with her hands. They originally said she has arthritis x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->