do i belong here?

x Michelle x

loves her babies
Reaction score
I hope no-one minds me posting in here, i'm kind of in limbo in regards to my daughter. She was born with congenital hypothyroidism, which means her thyroid doesn't produce the necessary thyroxine to aid in growth and development both physically and/or mentally.
She was diagnosed early, 2 days after birth and started on Levothyroxine which basically replaces the thyroxine her body does not produce.

Ok, my concerns are:
She is small, 9th percentile for weight and height
she is almost 2 and doesn't speak. odd words yes but they are never repeated
She didn't walk until 18 months but was incredibly good at rolling

i guess i'm just rambling, i mean plenty of children are small, her little friend is her age and smaller, and plenty of children aren't talking at 2 and plenty don't walk until 18 months. But its just the uncertainty, has she been affected by her CH? or was she just a bit "behind" (is that the word i want?!) with those milestones?
She is a lovely little girl, loves playing and i understand what she wants without her talking and she understands almost everything i ask/say to her.

i know no-one can give me answers, like i said before i hate the uncertainty!

thank you for reading my ramble if you have got this far!

Just wanted to say hi and offer some support. My little boy is almost 18 mo, struggling to walk and not talking at all. The uncertainty about what the future holds is the worst thing by far for me. You are not alone! ��

Thank you so much for responding, and you sound like you know exactly what i was blabbing on about!
Its really a worry sometimes isn't it... Like you can be all positive one day, then the next you just read or see someone elses LO doing so much more and all the worries just come back again!

It's very hard to say what the future will hold, but I do want to reassure you that most of the time there isn't a problem. Those few months "late" with milestones at the beginning seem so huge at the time, but often they're just normal differences in development. And in the scheme of their lives - these first differences are very small.

My son was diagnosed with global development delay (gross motor skills + speech) but is doing very well now at over 3. He loves preschool and plays soccer every day. I understand your uncertainty as we spent quite a bit of time in limbo (and still are to a certain extent). But I do wish I could have had a little window to see what my son would be like at 3 when he was 18mo - it would have saved me many nights of worry. He is such an amazing person and I am so blessed to have him with me.

aw thank you :) I know already how much time and worry i had over crawling and walking etc i just need to relax i think!
so good to know i'm not on my own here :)

I am glad you feel more supportive. I too am trying to not worry too much about things, but it is still hard!

@sun: my little guy has a groos motor delay and I suspect a speech delay as well, I am so glad to hear that things worked out with your little one!

My son is three too and has a development delay - he didn't walk till 2.5! He crawled at 21 months and has only started 'properly talking in the last few weeks! He was referred at 18 months for not walking but is doing nicely now. He had his third development assessment today and although a little behind still in a few areas he is ahead on a few too. I remember feeling sick a LOT when he was younger - he is a twin too so the comparison are inevitable! My real honest true advice to you is try with every ounce of your being NOT to worry as I feel that I haven't enjoyed Sam as much as I should have as I was constantly stressing about him. Xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->