Do I need to drink water for 4d scans?

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
They never mentioned i needed to like i would at my 12 & 20 week scan at the hospital!

Anyone help? :D

Lemonade, sweet pea.
Thats what it says on the consent form anyway, well it said it on mine.
When I got there, I was sent away for half hour because they were behind schedule, I signed a consent form and was told to drink lemonade because the fizz and the chill of the drink will get bubba moving.
Didnt do too much for me though as mine stayed sound asleep lol.
I think the whole 'drink water' myth, is a pile of shit, ya know, never have I drank water before any of my scans, and they all came out crystal clear.

I couldn't get hold of hem they just rang back and said i didn't have to drink anything hmm! May take your advice though Louise thanks x

I couldn't get hold of hem they just rang back and said i didn't have to drink anything hmm! May take your advice though Louise thanks x
Definitely drink either lemonade or coke. At my scan, the lemonade didnt work much for me, but these days whenever I drink an ice cold glass of coke with ice, Nicky goes wild.
Seriously, as precious as its going to be for you and OH to see your lil girl, you really need to get her moving; as lovely as it was seeing nicky at my scan, I was so dissapointed that he stayed asleep. :( Everyone else's bubbas were yawning and all sorts, and all mine did, was winge and rub his eyes... but hey, i guess its better than totally hiding in the placenta, because then I wouldnt have seen a thing.

Basically, if you have a full bladder I think your womb is pushed up higher so they are able to get better pictures?? when I went for my 20 week scan they had me leave the room for 30 minutes and have a drink so that she moved into a better position as they said she was lying too low.

Also, when I went for my 4d scan it was in Portsmouth and we had to get the train as my boyfriend was without his car for a bit (it took way over an hour with a few changes, then a taxi and walk the other end) when we finally got there I did a HUGEEE wee. The lady said "oh no, I tried to stop you going to the loo as a full bladder makes it easier to get good pics!"

So the answer to your question is yes!

I never heard about drinking lemonade/coke? :o I tried not to drink too much fizzy stuff as I already felt sickly and the caffeine (im a complete coke addict usually though).

Basically, if you have a full bladder I think your womb is pushed up higher so they are able to get better pictures?? when I went for my 20 week scan they had me leave the room for 30 minutes and have a drink so that she moved into a better position as they said she was lying too low.

Also, when I went for my 4d scan it was in Portsmouth and we had to get the train as my boyfriend was without his car for a bit (it took way over an hour with a few changes, then a taxi and walk the other end) when we finally got there I did a HUGEEE wee. The lady said "oh no, I tried to stop you going to the loo as a full bladder makes it easier to get good pics!"

So the answer to your question is yes!

I never heard about drinking lemonade/coke? :o I tried not to drink too much fizzy stuff as I already felt sickly and the caffeine (im a complete coke addict usually though).
I guess it may be different for everyone, then? because Like I said, I stopped drinking water after my first scan, and even then, I think I peed a few times before it.
Maybe it depends on how a person is built? LOL. I dunno...
The coke thing definitely works though, if ever nicky is quiet, Im straight to the pub for a cold glass of coke, and he perks up!!!

I guess it may be different for everyone, then? because Like I said, I stopped drinking water after my first scan, and even then, I think I peed a few times before it.
Maybe it depends on how a person is built? LOL. I dunno...
The coke thing definitely works though, if ever nicky is quiet, Im straight to the pub for a cold glass of coke, and he perks up!!!
Well, I only know what I was told by 2 sonographers.. im sure opinion does vary though. I went to the loo on my 12 week scan and again on a 21 week scan (I had to come back as they couldn't get all the measurements) and nothing was said.

It could depend on how we're built? I was very slim?

Found these:
"Some doctors require you to drink 4 to 6 glasses of water before the test, so your bladder is full. This will help the doctor view the baby better on the ultrasound. You will be asked to refrain from urinating until after the test."
"Q - With our first child, I had an ultrasound at about 26 weeks and was not required to drink any water. This time, at 20 weeks and with a new doctor and lab, I was told to drink lots of water and not to eat certain foods after 9pm the day before.

A -This can vary a bit from site to site but, in general, early ultrasounds -- prior to 20 to 24 weeks or so -- do require a full bladder when the transabdominal approach (transducer is placed on your abdomen) is used. The reason for this is that the fluid in the bladder creates a "window" for the beam to pass through. (This provides a good medium for sound conduction.) It also serves as a "landmark" for the technician to get their bearings, so to speak. In addition, a full bladder can change the position of the uterus, taking the flexion out of it and pushing it up so it is easier to scan. A full bladder also moves loops of bowel up and out of the way to make the pelvic organs easier to view.
In later pregnancy, or with a transvaginal approach, (the probe is introduced into the vagina), a full bladder is not necessary. The enlarging uterus is quite nicely positioned above the pubic bone and the fluid within the sac provides the medium for passage of the beam."

Well, I only know what I was told by 2 sonographers.. im sure opinion does vary though. I went to the loo on my 12 week scan and again on a 21 week scan (I had to come back as they couldn't get all the measurements) and nothing was said.

It could depend on how we're built? I was very slim?
I was 6st? lol. I dunno...
I do tend to drink LOADS of tea in the morning though, so maybe those few trips to the toilet didnt really do much to rid my bladder of the tea?:headspin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->