Do I need to tell our landlords about the baby?

becstar

Sleep is for the weak
Reaction score
We live in a rented house. It is basically the old garage from the main house, converted into a one-bed house. The landlord and landlady use the main house for business - they live somewhere else and occasionally stay overnight at the main house, but not often.

Anyway, our landlady can be a little fussy about stuff... she asks us to move our recycling in case it attracts rats (it's all washed jars and tins!) and threw away (without asking/telling me) a small bottle of engine oil I had put behind the gate at the side of the house (hadn't wanted to bring it in in case it dripped on the carpet). She has no reason to go down there, she just checks on it now and then... It's not the end of the world, she's just a bit anal about stuff.

Whenever she's dropped our post round (it tends to go to the main house) or come round if something's broken, I've hidden my bump under a baggy jumper but it's getting harder now. When and how should we tell them? Or should we just let them figure it out? I'm just worried that she'll ask us to move out or not allow us to renew the lease come November because she's so anal she thinks a baby/my waters breaking will ruin her carpets etc, and we do want to stay at least another year.

Think it would be polite to inform her now. She will find out eventually and might be more miffed later.

I dunno the answer to that one but i would think if you gave citizens advice a call they will set you straight x

i think you need to tell her, atlest if you tell her now and she does not want you there its given more notice and time before the baby comes to sort somewhere out rather then a newborn and finding a house.

Our landlord new i was pregnant the day we viewed the house was no hiding it lol

As for the green bin stuff thats a bit much? how the hell is she going to feel about nappies? she seems like a total clean freak lol

Theres nothing by law sayin you have to tell her BUT shes less likely to renew the lease if u keep it a secret she may wonder what else u are keepin from her iykwim ....sayin that i havent told my landlord but havnt hid my bump from him either although dependin on what i wear depends if i look pregnant ...

She is a bit odd - the landlord is very laid back but she is a bit OTT. Like when our rent came out for the first time, although the estate agent had set up direct debits to leave our accounts on 1st of the month, she was expecting it in her account the same day. And rather than talk to us, she lefta snotty typed note on headed paper in the postbox saying that owing to their financial commitments she would appreciate us paying on time each month! We did - talk to the agent love!

Anyway, the baby... I just don't know how to broach the subject...

Im in the same situation. We rent from a housing association and in my tenancy contract it states that only a maximum of five people can live in the house so we are up to our limit now. I dont want to tell them about the baby in case they make me move when shes born which i really dont want to do. Think im just gonna leave it till they find out for themselves then just play dumb lol!

I hadn't even thought of telling our agency... not that they ever come round evem of we ask them to, they're hopeless. Guess I should check the contract.

we told ours but i dont think u have to!

You don't HAVE to tell her legally as said before but I would prob tell her if I were you. I told my landlord about my preg just more so out of courtesy I guess so that they at least knew from me that I was having another baby.

:hugs:

tell ur landlord that u are pregnant but first id check ur contract and see what it says about children in the property. if it says that no children are aloud then u will have to move sooner or talk to themand they might let u stay for awhile if it says nothing about having a child then they cant ask u to leave using the baby as a reason.

if u incounter any problems with them u can also contact the council or cab about tenant rights

i didn't know people like landlords had a right to know about your pregnancy? what's it got to do with them? :s most landlords these days are just thankful people are paying rent and keeping house in relativly good cond, it seems.

i haven't told ours, nor will i be. i don't think it's any of their buisness what my bodys up to. doesn't state anywhere in any contracts that i must letthem know if i conceive whilst living there or just before living in said place :lol: but i guess as far as children in property we have a 3year old too :lol:

xXx

surely if a landlord refuses to let to someone with kids then it could be classed as sex discrimination, seeing as that would stop a single mother getting a property. So I dont see why you would HAVE to tell her. But seeing what you have said about her, maybe best to tell her.

Check your contract hun, some landlords do state no children and I think they do have a right to this but if there is nothing written down they can't do a thing but it is the right thing to do letting them know, hope they are fine with everything, take care :hugs: XX

We told ours.. more so out of courtesy than necessity.
We also wanted to ensure that there wouldn't be any issues regarding decoration for the nursery (they said that we could do what we wanted with the place, but we thought a nursery was a bit different to normal decoration!).

Saying that tho, our landlords are great and really laid back. I can understand why you'd feel anxious about telling her. Like others have adviced, if she's really that anal then check your contract - if it doesn't state that no children are allowed then tough, you haven't done anything wrong xx

Not sure what the rules are regarding this, I've always rented, and now we are living in married quarters - not the same I know but I have no intention of informing them I didn't know I had to? I would prob check the contract x

also she should be snooping around if you have an agent, in your contract you should have something like 'the landlord alows the tenant private enjoyment of the property' her snooping around breaks that contract id complain to the agent

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->