Do you ever find that it's expensive to diet?

Amy-Lea

Reaction score
I always think, Oh I want to diet so bad but I cant afford all the fruit and stuff at the moment, I particularly like strawberries and can go threw a punnet in half a day but I really be-grudge paying £2.50 for a punnet from Tesco's when I need to buy so many of them :blush:

It works out quite a lot with all the snacks such as yoghurts and fruit as well as your meals on top of what I will be feeding Hallie and Darren (vegetarian who doesn't like veg).

I keep putting it off until we do our monthly shop but usually with the monthly shop we get crisps and stuff too haha

I'm going round in circles making excuses after excuse, I need some big fat boot up my @rse! Or some motivation. What was it that made you girls click and just get into the mind set of dieting.

I DONT want to be like this no more, I am 13 stone and want to be 11, I cry every time i catch me in a full length mirror so I don't go shopping, I hate going out with friends because they are so slim and I hate going out with Darren incase people think he can do better than me , I know how bad I constantly feel and don't think I can Feel any worse and still don't have any motivation, so when will I get it :(

Have you looked at buying local produce, rather than buying things from tesco?

Like this company here https://www.northernharvest.co.uk/ will deliver to you in Liverpool and they do a general fruit and veg box for £10. You could even just get that twice a month, and it would be enough for your family.

What made me realise that I needed to diet, was looking at pictures of myself. I took 'fat' pictures of myself in the mirror and nearly cried. I compared them to pictures from a few years ago, and couldn't believe how far I'd let myself go. I'm also worried about cutting my life sort from eating rubbish foods, and not being able to see Niamh grow up.

I also joined www.livestrong.com which helps you track you food and exercise and you can join groups to help keep motivated.

I took pictures of myself, and each month I take new pictures so I can see the change. I also took my favourite outfit ever out of storage, and tried it on. I couldn't get it on of course, but I remembered how badly it fit, and hung it up on the outside of my wardrobe so everytime I go in my room I see it waiting for me. Each month I try it on again.

I also took all my measurements. Hip, bust, thighs, waist, etc. Sometimes measurements are a better indicator than weight. Each month I remeasure myself.

I joined my local gym, and pay £10 a week for a personal trainer to make me an exercise and nutrition program and then pay a couple of pounds each time I use the gym too. So worth it IMO. I also go to 2 classes a week. I find that not wanting to let people down, such as my personal trainer and the people in my class helps keep me motivated.

Try not to bring junk into the house either. If you love crisps, look at buying some like Sunbites which are whole grain and have 1/3 of your recommended amount in each bag, and are low fat. If you love chocolate, allow yourself one dark chocolate (75% or above) a week. Dark chocolate is good for your heart in small amounts.

Good luck hun. You can achieve anything if you put your mind to it :hug:

i totally know what you mean amy-lea. every month i decide, thats it, healthy eating for me, but i refuse to pay some of the prices for friut and veg!

btw, is your name amy leanne? cos mine is and that would be a strange coincidence!

Another route to try.. frozen fruits and veggies!
They're just as good, and much better on the budget!
Plus, you don't have to worry about anything going bad if you're not eating them fast enough! :)

Not really ... i find it kinds of evens itself out, im not spending the money on crisps and sweets etc, instead it goes on fruits and diet stuff

I do however do a shop twice a week, that way i can buy fresh and it lasts, rather than do one big shop a week and fruit and veg ends up going off and getting wasted :)

Thanks alot :)

The thing is I get no exercise at all, I am so un-fit, I cant go on walks or to the gym due to me finding it hard leaving the house, I have a wii-fit that hasn't been used in months.
But during the day Hallie si so clingy and wont leave me alone so I wouldn't be able to do it and when she goes down to nap I want to just lounge around and play on the pc :blush:

Thanks so much for that site i am going to have a look. I pay £10 for 4 punnets of strawberries :shock: But I love bananas, apples, grapes, satsumas, mm I really love fruit.

I am also not bad on confectionary, if it's out of site it's out of mind. But when it's there I cant sleep knowing there say a biscuit left and have to go eat it :blush:

I think I am going to buy a tape measure in a bit, Darren has just said we can go to Tesco and get some fruit and I will get the camera out and take some pictures of my self and shock myself slim haha

I just want to do it so bad :( My Mum has lost 3 and a half stone since last June and I am getting so jealous as she has always wanted to wear my clothes, yet now, I am wearing her old clothes and she is wearing my old clothes as she is smaller than me :(

Just yesterday I was at my frnt door and a lady passed and went : 'jesus your the double of your mum now that youve put a bit..ohhh hows Hallie'

:shock: ovbiously gunna say since Ive put weight on and thought about what she was saying :cry:

I do a lot of grocery ordering online, as I am less likely to impulse buy snacks if I', not wandering down the aisle.

Those websites for fruit & veg delivery are good too, as you always get a surprise mix of whatever is in season and fresh. You know its all organic and good for you too, and you're supporting local farmers rather than paying extra to ship in fruit from abroad :)

I do a lot of grocery ordering online, as I am less likely to impulse buy snacks if I', not wandering down the aisle.

Those websites for fruit & veg delivery are good too, as you always get a surprise mix of whatever is in season and fresh. You know its all organic and good for you too, and you're supporting local farmers rather than paying extra to ship in fruit from abroad :)

i wish we had that here in canada! i find a lot of the local produce actually costs more around here!

i totally know what you mean amy-lea. every month i decide, thats it, healthy eating for me, but i refuse to pay some of the prices for friut and veg!

btw, is your name amy leanne? cos mine is and that would be a strange coincidence!

It's just actually Amy-Lea one word hun haha.

I get called Amy-Leanne though as my best friend is called Leanne and we are inseperable so we both get called Amy-Leanne haha

Oh Noo rafwife:

Handcrafted award winning chocolates made by Amanda Torkington.
Flavours: Coconut Truffle – Dark Mint Leaf – Strawberries & Cream – Apple & Cinnamon Truffle – Praline Nut Log – Passion Fruit Prism – Heavenly Banoffee Dome – Dark Rum Lion – Dark Blackcurrant & Aniseed Truffle – Brazilian Coffee Crème – Mandarin Oval – Marc de Champagne Truffle – Peach Heart – Apricot & Saffron Dome – Dark Lime Maple Leaf – Honey & Cumin – Creamy Caramel Hazelnut – Ginger.

Not being able to fit into my old clothes gave me a kick up the butt!! I think you really want to have to lose weight to stick to a diet!! Once youve not eating junk for 1 day you'll really feel good and it spures you on to keep eating healthy :) x x

Hiya.... I do know what you mean about it being expensive to be healthy - you can buy a pack of 4 burgers for the price of a bag of lettuce!

However, I called into Asda on the way home from work tonight and got punnets of plums, peaches, kiwi fruits and packets of coxs apples and satsuma's all for a quid each - I always buy whatever fruit asda or tesco have got for a quid and then dont feel so robbed when I buy my strawberries and grapes.

As for being motivated, I too need a kick up the arse - am going to Cuba for a fortnight in July and even that isnt motivation enough......at work, we are always bringing in cakes n biscuits for the office (you dont feel so guilty if you are bringing them for everyone!) and I cannt resist them.

At the end of June we are relocating to a new area cos of o/h's work and have decided that is going to be the start of a new me - have figured that joining something like Slimming World is a good way of meeting new people as is going to the gym/classes,etc

Could you not set yourself little targets - for each half stone you lose you put some money in a jar towards a fab new outfit and when you get to target o/h can to take you somewhere nice in your new stuff?

I go to places like Lidls or Aldis for fruit and veg, much cheaper than other places =)

I tend to shop around for the best deals for fruit and veg!

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ is what I use to find my bargins!

I used to find it expensive to eat healthily, but now we've changed our entire outlook on food its a lot cheaper! Frozen veg works out a lot cheaper, and of course it doesn't waste quickly like fresh!

Yea It is true that a lot of healthy things are more expensive than just some cheap can fodder... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->