Do you give money to people panhandling?

Thank you for sharing tri.

It is difficult smiley, like you say when you live in an area you learn who is genuine and who is not but if you're new to an area or someone new comes along then it can be hard. Tbh I would rather give something to someone who is not genuine than ignore someone who is really in need.

Like I said earlier in the thread though, even if you can't/don't want to then even a few minutes of your day talking to someone costs nothing and means so much. If you spend just those few minutes, you soon realise that they are (mostly) treated like they are either invisible or scum. If I were in that position I would want someone to show me a little kindness and compassion even if they didn't want to hand over money!

I would agree, smiley, that it is not fair to berate people for NOT giving if they do not feel in their heart it is going towards a good cause. That was not my intention. What bothers me is when people automatically consider homeless or "beggers" to be less than they are, based on their lack of financial stability. They are real people, with real stories. For every drug addict or drunk I've encountered, I also have met people whose past accomplishments have truly impressed me. At times, those people were one and the same. Yet people talk about them as though they automatically know their stuggle, their situation, and their motives. Much like the diversity observed in other parts of society, homeless individuals should not be painted with one brush. I have donated to some and chosed NOT to donate to others based on a gut feeling (although I have a little bit of an advantage, having past experience:winkwink:). Although it is impossible to help ALL, I try to do what I can when I'm in the situation. And yes, I have actually contributed to someone's beer fund on one occassion when it was about 20 degrees out (-6C). I knew I was going back to a warm house with all the bells and whistles. If a cold beer could provide him even a little comfort on the cold, rough night I figured it was ok.

I would agree, smiley, that it is not fair to berate people for NOT giving if they do not feel in their heart it is going towards a good cause. That was not my intention. What bothers me is when people automatically consider homeless or "beggers" to be less than they are, based on their lack of financial stability. They talk about them as though they know their stuggle, their situation, and their motives. Much like the diversity observed in other parts of society, homeless individuals should not be painted with one brush. I have donated to some and chosed NOT to donate to others based on a gut feeling (although I have a little bit of an advantage, having past experience:winkwink:). Although it is impossible to help ALL, I try to do what I can when I'm in the situation. And yes, I have actually contributed to someone's beer fund on one occassion when it was about 20 degrees out (-6C). I knew I was going back to a warm house with all the bells and whistles. If a cold beer could provide him even a little comfort on the cold, rough night I figured it was ok.

Agree :thumbup: And I didn't mean you were berating people :haha:

I tend to buy food and a cup of tea (or if they have a dog - i'll get them some biscuits) but i'll give a bit of change if I don't have the time. I'm not really bothered if they go spend it on drugs or drink tbh - better than resorting to crime.

I don't. Only because there are temporary work jobs here, where you literally show up in the morning, they send you on a job (even provide you with the right safety equipment, steel toe boots etc) and you get paid that day.

I dunno, that just makes more sense to me than hanging out on a street corner hoping people give you money.

There was this homeless young kid who camped out in the field by my house, its right by a strip mall. I offered to buy him a pizza at one point, there's a pizza place where you can get a medium sized pizza for $5, which I didn't mind doing if he was hungry. He declined. So I went on my way. :)

A few days later, I was walking home from work and a guy was chatting with him asking why he didn't get a job. As I was passing by the young guy said he made more money panhandling than if he were to go and work for 8 hours (the guy mentioned this same temp day place that I spoke about in the beginning of my post) so why go work when he could make more begging?

I mean, kudos for being honest! But at least for here, I do feel there are options for those who want to work. The great thing about these temp day places is that if you actually do a good job, there's a chance you can get hired on full time. I've used them myself when I've been between jobs!

So there's definitely incentive to use them. :flower: But, you have to want to work.

Anyhoo, long story short: I'll buy food and whatnot, but no, I do not give money. :flower:

If I have change on me then I do. I don't really care what they spend it on! I bought the same girl a coffee and a muffin from mcds almost every day for about a year - she was lovely but obviously an addict with her own problems. She was a real character and sold the Big Issue so she was trying to help herself. I donate to the Rucksack Project in Glasgow too, where every winter you fill a rucksack with warm clothes, sleeping bag, toiletries etc, it's a fab project. They are still human beings and homelessness could happen to anyone at anytime for any number of reasons. My sister volunteers for a homeless charity and some of the stories would break your heart! It's a very personal choice though whether to help or not, and not one you should be judged for either way.

I remember when I was about 15 I got all the small change out my purse (I didnt have a job so didnt have much) gave it to him and he said 'what was the fucking point in giving me that crap'
so iv never done it again. You can use 2ps, you can use them at self service/cash them in at the bank etc so no il never put myself through the embarrasment of being shouted at like that again when I didnt have much money myself

also forgot to say I met a funny big issue woman. (Well crazy)
She was doing the big issue, big issue. Then she was like if you dont like reading it you can wipe your arse with it. Some of the outher things she was shouting was pretty hilarious/weird so she sold heaps of them

I don't, simply because I don't know whether they are genuine or not. My mum told me she gave someone who was begging a sandwich recently, and he abused her for it :nope: So in that case obviously not - not saying that all are like that, but it's made me even more wary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->